1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Bit-Tech F1 2016 Thread - Season Complete

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 29 Nov 2015.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Haas rack up more points, though Gutierrez yet again doesn't see the end...

Stoffel hangs on for a point and Wehrlein and the Manor looks pretty racy despite getting no points for his effort...

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Kyvat looks off the pace and Sauber and Force India are well back. Manor in the hands of Wehrlen looked faster than FI, Sauber, McHonda and Renault. That's more than just the engine upgrade

3. rollo

rollo Modder

I nearly fell asleep watching this race, After the first 10 laps it was a very uneventful race for the front 4. Vettels engine blow up kinda prevented us having a real race.

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So conclusion from that race.

Romain Grosjean really wants Ferrari to notice him.
    Pascal Werhlein is Mercedes' next driver when Lewis or Nico decide to leave.
    Stoffel Vandoorne is faster than Jenson Button in qualifying... and that advantage is good for one corner and then he's behind him again.
    Luckily for Stoffel Honda Electronics inc despise Jenson Button.
    Ferrari have only enough staff to build one good engine at a time.
    Sauber are doomed.
    Manor scoring points is only a matter of time.

5. RedFlames

I think FIndia are on borrowed time too

6. javaman

FI are a small team so will move with ebbs and flows only mounting a good season then falling away. this time tho Malaya's troubles could have a big impact. They'll switch focus to next season or for the next set of rule changes.

Klatenbourn has ran Sauber into the ground, the whole contract fiasco should of sent enough alarm bells ringing. I'm expecting them to implode.

McLaren are professional enough to sort their mess out. Dennis has also been most of the problem there with the power struggles resulting in poor decisions based on ego.

Renault have the budget despite being on the back foot from a distarous takeover. It should of went far smoother.

Based on today's race I agree Manor will score at some point. It will have to be soon however as Renault and McLaren will improve towards the end of the season. I doubt they have the budget to keep pace but FI and Sauber could fall away quicker. Williams as well will need something, Massa was unimpressed with the short nose and it looks like Haas Red Bull and Torro Rosso have over taken them

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The question is how long will it take for McL and Renault to need a 2nd team and which one will it be.

Red Bull has Torro Rosso.
    Ferrari has Haas.
    Mercedes has Manor.

McL and Renault has no 2nd team yet; Williams doesn't have, nor will have budget for 2nd team; Sauber and FI will soon go bankrupt if they won't become a 2nd team for McL or Renault.

8. javaman

I wonder if Renault benefit from any development to the Red Bull engine this year.

Williams have their fingers in other pies like Formula E mostly from their engineering arm. I could see them having wider reach beyond F1. If the rumours are true Williams and McLaren could enter partnership through Honda.

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

What a fun race to watch.

Notable takeaways:
    Haas is doing well. That's how many points ahead of McLaren now?
    Force India does really seem to be on borrowed time, as does Sauber.
    Stoffel had an amazing driver. Solid under pressure, and good for a debut. The fact that he said the car felt good reads promising for McHonda's future to me.
    Wehrlein is also impressive.

10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

They apparently have a big spec upgrade coming for Barca, which may be a bit late given the midfield pace. That an the current config is meant to be good in China.

Williams mentioned they were getting a new short nose coming not sure if that turned up in time (was packed on thursday for shipping), plus side someone seems to have built the car with some daft amount of strength in the front suspension.

Ferrari seem to have found more speed but lost the reliability, either that or the engines are built on Friday afternoons post pub. Shame Kimi couldnt keep up with the times he was putting in I think the teams strategy ruined it for him as they had to start covering Hamilton rather than chasing Rosberg.

Merc again show they built the car to be at the front work well in clean air less so in dirty air. Took Hamilton a while to get past some cars youd have expected him to dispatch quickly (red bull) given the BHP difference.

Maclaren Von Doom is pretty handy nice to grab their first points but buttons retirement was a bit of a gut punch given they could have both grabbed some much needed points. Practice times over the weekend looked promising though.

Redbull were a bit dull to be honest Danni K seemed off not really doing much to defend while Danny R plugged along a quiet race but put in some surprising laptimes think he put in the second or third fasted lap?

Torro Rosso, much the same as redbull both drivers just circulating nothing memorable occurring.

HAAS, good showing nice points haul again I can see a number of peeved teams but they have done what works using as much tech from Ferrari as they can get away with, if this is the genuine speed of the car then I can see Esteban being dropped end of the season.

Cant be bothered with the rest, to much typing!

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Good to see that the lessons learnt during the 1994 Aussie GP are still being adhered to :thumb:

12. fix-the-spade

Rumors abound that Sergio Marchionne is in talks to buy out Sauber and enter them as Alfa Romeo.

The big teams are gearing up for a huge fight with Bernie and the FIA as the current Concorde Agreement runs out in 2020. The current qualifying debacle seems to be round one, with Bernie and Jean trying to force arbitrary change on them teams whilst the teams want to go back to the old system.

I expect to see Merc, Renault and Ferrari entering more 'technical partnerships' or flat out buying the small teams between now and 2020 so they control as much of the show as possible.

What the flakey bunch at Honda do remains to be seen.

13. javaman

With TV rights and Sponsorship I can see a break away formula more likely if the current fiasco keeps up before then. As horrible as it sounds, what's the plan if Bernie isn't around in 2020. Although he's probably too stubborn to die and probably immortal [insert theory here] he's no spring chicken at the end of the day. That mugging a few years back made him look a frail old man

14. fix-the-spade

Well he'll be 89 by 2020 and given the clarity of his responses lately, maybe the teams are counting on it?

15. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I dont think he can stay in the sport much longer, no only due to his age but also due to the pressure thats slowly being ramped up by the other teams. If he goes in the short term I would imagine the CVC will defacto appoint Jean to replace him though he will hate the roll.

Long term who knows, who ever it is just have to hope they start doing positive stuff for the sport.

Id also heard that Ferrari were looking at buying Sauber to rebadge them bringing Alfa back to the sport. Would make a nice feeder team. Its proven to work by Redbull and basically Merc is using Manor as one now with Pascal really pushing things.

16. RedFlames

Well if what Kravitz said and/or hinted at in his notebook segment, Sauber's dire straits are such that they won't survive the season... Rumours are already circulating that they might not make it to China...

17. rollo

rollo Modder

The teams issues with Berni stems from his comments about quali, he said he hated it before the gp now he says he loves it.

The money side the top teams will want him to stay in control.

18. RedFlames

That's typical Ecclescake though... says he hates something then when given the chance to change it, doesn't/won't... And is usually oblivious to the fact that it was probably his idea in the first place...

19. javaman

I think its a case where the top teams distrust each other and no suitable replacement has been found. Bernie has been with the sport long enough to "get" the historic nostalgia and prestege while also doing a remarkable job selling and expanding the sport without completely resorting to EA style bean counting. Its tricky in the sense I can't think who would be a good replacement or a replacement who could strike the balance between evolution and revolution the sport needs. I think overall its a case of the devil you know.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's awful :-/ I hope it does mean we'll get some manuf. back in the sport though if AR buy in.

Echo Bent on some things:
    Groj is again out-driving the car's capabilities. I hope he gets a Ferrari seat!
    StoffelWaffle was great! He's got to take Button's or Alonso's seat at the end of the season.
    Saw almost nothing of the Merc's on tele - it was all mid-field action. Much approve! :thumb:

I hate to say I agree with Bernie that teams/drivers shouldn't have a say, but it's not like Bernie has better ideas and the quicker Jean Todd resigns and the FIA gets someone who can actually lead the sport it'll stay like this shitshow.