1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

You do realise he's a prison officer.

2. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Started removing some tiles off kitchen wall to do new tiling at girlfriends house, previous owner has tiled uptop of tiles and when it was re-wired the plaster work was bad and thick.

Wall's has crumbled am now having to go back to brick, gladly not a massive section of the kitchen but the mrs looks worried as hell!

3. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Huh... I didn't.

As it happens, I'm currently applying to be a prison officer xD

4. theshadow2001

Deadbolt is an apt username for a prison officer

5. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

very fitting name

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

People using excel for huge databases then moaning it wont load them.

By huge I mean like 300Mbs, do these people not know what MS Access is????

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Nope.

8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Good luck with that one, I hope you know what you are letting yourself in for.
    Can I ask where your local prison is?

I have been doing this job for over ten years and the last two of those have been under a private company where everything is a complete and utter joke.

If you are applying for HMP service rather than privately run then be prepared for some detached duty, you will become a "mobile grade" meaning you can work anywhere they wish to send you.

But like i said, good luck with applying, if you have any questions about the job ask away and if I can answer i will :thumb:

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

This does my head in. A spreadsheet is not a suitable substitute for a database! :wallbash:

10. theshadow2001

The great thing about excel is that it is easy to use. The main problem with excel is that it is easy to use. When all you have is a hammer everything starts too look like a nail.

Last edited: 4 Apr 2016
  11. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Would be great to allow each prison in the UK to have VR rehabilitation centre that rewards inmates, rewards positive feedback for good behaviour and empowers through education.

Further:
    Courses in
    English,
    Maths,
    Science
    History,
    Real world view of the world ,its places of interest and how man has come to the state he is,
    Demonstration of one of the many Periods (geology)
    To walk the halls of the finest buildings man has ever created, to visually see the most splendid of musical narration depicted in city landscapes, across eons and periods of mans finest building and Engineering!

A person has to become bored with play to understand what consideration is.

VR is a solid rest bit for controlled stimulation and rehabilitation of the UK's rested citizens.

:clap:

Last edited: 4 Apr 2016
  12. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Used to have the same issue with PowerPoint.

Art/photography/graphics staff used to get the students to present their entire portfolio in PPT. Monstrous uncompressed images, hundreds of slides with annotations etc.

Used to crash and corrupt all over the place, they had the full Adobe Creative suite to play with, but all decided on PPT.

Used to get it in the neck on a daily basis, 'the Macs are slow, I've lost my work, I've run out of space on my user drive'.

****ing plebs.

This wasn't for the lack of training or alternatives mind you, they simply refused to change.

13. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I completed my Vive order four minutes after they opened and got my confirmation email one minute later.

But I still have no shipping information and the thing is supposed to be coming out tomorrow. I'm bummed, but first-world happy-life bummed. Not real, something bad happened, my life is ruined bummed.

14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

The system is a Joke and rehabilitation rarely works, in some cases prisoners will come good and do something useful upon release but my guesstimate would be that 95% of prisoners that reside in the prison I work in would choose drugs before the chance of a good education.

Until the government pumps more money and resources into the justice system as a whole it is only doing one thing, which is locking people up.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Sorted.

[​IMG]

16. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

:clap:

17. legoman

I feel your pain on that, they like putting dirty great data dumps in excel tables then creating a pretty graph an importing the thing wholesale into PowerPoint which then goes splat.
    Another couple of work things, one I'm there now, till six tonight at least. An the company insust on using an ancient version of java for the bulk of the system, all the internal pages need that version. They've rolled out a piece of software that needs a specific version of java 8,but this version isn't compatible with the old version :wallbash:

18. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Oh wow, sounds like my old life, some exam software was extremely fussy about the version of Java we had installed. Had to run an entire computer suite with a specific version of java so they could do their exams. Of course anything else that used Java used to moan like a overworked whore or simply not work.

I'm glad I am currently unemployed!

Stay strong!:geek:

19. legoman

Haha trying Mr Jay, I tell people the issues at work an they are shocked when they find out who the company are.
    I've come to the conclusion my job actually is ruining my life, trouble is I'm that stuck in the rut I can't even be bothered to dig myself out of it which is demotivating enough

20. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Being a Londoner, my closest would be YOI Feltham / Wormwood / Pentonville. It would be directly employed with HMPS.

-----------------------

Just read, the voice actor for Admiral Ackbar, Erik Bauersfeld, has died at the age of 93

Last edited: 5 Apr 2016