1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft denies Xbox 1.5 upgrade rumours

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 4 Apr 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

'If we're going to move forward, I want to move forward in big numbers.'
    So they went from 360 to One.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Then they are in danger of being left behind, basically.

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

except that for 4k Netflix etc , the xbox one could already output it technically - as HDMI 1.4a supports 4k viewing at 30hz , which is fine for a movie on a tv

5. Vault-Tec

4k really needs to die in the face.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

why? i love it thank you - daredevil in 4k is amazing

7. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

The 360 went through quite a revisions; the launch edition lacked hdmi, then that was added in, then it had a shrink. Pro/elite/arcade/core/s. It'll happen, it's just a matter of when. The life span of a console is eons in terms of tech now.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Does it really matter though? Look at final fantasy 15 on ps4 the demo thats out at the moment basically a engine showcase, Its far and away the best looking thing ive viewed in the last few years. Uncharted 3 showed what a 8 year old gpu could do.

Console tech lasts double or tripple the time your average gpu does.

I do not expect a faster ps4 or xbox one, They will both get revisions to maybe allow 4k playback of content like Blue rays and netflix for example. But I dont think either will get more powerful systems.

They would be better of selling a backwards compatible ps5 than a ps4.5 same with xbox.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

But the performance of the Xbox 360 never changed: a game that worked on the very latest version would work exactly the same on the very oldest version.

10. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

It was an overflow error. They didn't allocate enough bits in the version number for their big step forward.

11. Vault-Tec

If I watch a blu ray on my TV @ 1080p it looks amazing enough. I can see the beads of sweat on people. You can't really get any better than photo realism IMO and if 1080p does that well enough then that's enough.

Having owned a 4k monitor for over a year (I really did try, honest) I can say that it was a waste of time. Whilst actual proper 4k stuff looked really nice it looks just as good at 1440p. That being said many of the games I was playing were actually not proper 4k titles and thus when you played them at 4k they looked a bit rubbish.

It's taken years for the TV channels to go to HD. Many of them still haven't so I just think 4k is stupid.

12. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Exactly, will be amazed when all channels finally go HD, I think 4k is rather niche like 3D, we all appreciate it but don't exactly need it

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

which channels do you watch that arnt in HD? freeview offers 14 , freesat offer 12 - and ofc sky subscription offers a lot more

14. Vault-Tec

Channel 5 (they do have HD but only on Sky/Virgin) Quest Dave etc. I would say about 50% of what I do watch is in HD. And in fairness it looks lovely on my TV. Recently I bought a Madcatz Mojo and I've watched a few movies on that (the new Star Wars and so on) and that too was awesome.

4k is something Apple came up with and like always the PC market tries to copy everything they do. From USB to USB 2, USB 3 and so on. Every review site starts banging on about 4k saying it's going to be the next thing. Only it isn't given what I have said. Most TV channels are not even broadcast in 1080p yet and those that have are hardly about to bin all of the equipment they bought to broadcast in HD and all of a sudden start broadcasting in 4k which hardly any one has.

From a gaming perspective 4k is a f***ing nightmare.

It takes pretty much every last ounce of performance from a 980ti SLI or Fury X Crossfire X setup and these new console 'ports' that we were told were going to make everything awesome are actually worse than the old 360 'ports'. Pretty much none of them work with multiple GPUs, they all pig on VRAM (because the new consoles have loads) and run like crap.

And then there is the cost. I've gone through two Titan Blacks @ £699 each IIRC. That's £1398. I bought a Gsync monitor for £515 so that's a total of £1913. After doing so I found out that Gsync did not play nice with SLI and would flicker and make me feel really sick. Then Nvidia pulled their '970 trick' so I decided to go AMD. Only doing that would forsake Gsync and I would not be able to use Freesync because AMD would never support it on my monitor (even though it met all of the spec needed for Freesync). I then sold both Titan Blacks for £480 and bought one Fury X for £440. This was about a week after launch. Even though it was much better it was still miles away from being "PC gaming". Gaming at 25 FPS isn't really what I wanted. So I bought another Fury X for £390.

Absolutely nothing works at launch and most games coming out now do not support multiple GPUs so even if AMD put in some spade work they still flicker and judder. AMD say "disable Crossfire".

Ugh.

So what to do? well I have just bought another monitor only this time it's Freesync. I've downgraded the resolution to 1440p and I will soon be removing one Fury X and fitting it to my wife's PC. Only thing is? it's looking like Nvidia are going to win the next round. So I will then be faced with having to buy another monitor

Dude this sucks. It sucks ass. It sucks ass in the same way having to choose between SLI and Crossfire on a motherboard sucked ass. Back in the day I bought a Crosshair III? AM3 SLI board. I wanted to run Crossfire but I couldn't. So I had to buy a DFI board @ £180. Then I was stuck on Crossfire only.

But yes, any one out there even remotely considering 4k? don't. Just.Don't.

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

all that is inyour opinion

I love 4k - gaming in 4k is awesome - in the games I play (overwatch for example with everything on ultra is 60fps @4k) same with rts I play etc.

and daredeveil is amazing , so for me 4k is a huge step forward , stunning to look at and the games I play are fantastic with a single gpu

as for 4k - it as `invented` by NHK in japan; 1080p isn't broadcast (its 1080i) and sky will be starting broadcasting in 4k as well and soon as the Q box hardware is selling fast

quest is SD only (although most of the rest of the discovery network is HD) dave? sky paid for that to be HD only for subscription (and as part of virgin subscription); but viacomm have taken up a licence to replace BBC3HD with Channel5HD on freeview ;) so hopefully soon available without paying sky soon

16. Vault-Tec

So it's my opinion that you need twice the graphical grunt of a Fury X or 980ti for 4k gaming using the highest settings? I don't think so. Go read some benchmarks they barely manage to scrape 30 FPS. That's not my opinion it's fact and I don't want to game at 30 FPS thanks. That's a console thing.

So what option do you have? Crossfire or SLI and every game released lately does not work.

If Nvidia or AMD can release a GPU with twice the power of a 980ti or Fury X then maybe gaming at 4k with 60 FPS will actually become a thing. And even then they have to convince people to spend the thick end of a grand on a GPU (because the Titan X's replacement will be expensive) and then pick a monitor that they have to stick with.

So you are basing your facts on Overwatch (WTF is that? oh, some Bilzzard thing) and RTS. What about absolutely everything else? like the latest games? Oh yeah none of them work with two GPUs, see also - one GPU not being powerful enough.

OK I tell you what, if it catches on I will eat my hat. That's if we ever get full support for 1080p HD on every channel and then progress to 4k.

How many terrestrial channels are broadcast in 4k dude? because I tell you what, I've got a 4k socket on my TV and it's never been used.

Q box is Sky with their ridiculous subs and prices. It's just another freak technology like 3D and it won't catch on. As I said, when terrestrial TV goes 4k I may agree with you.

Most of the discovery channel is HD yes, if you take on a sub from Sky or Virgin.

But the days of me spending more on TV than I do on my electric, gas, phone, water combined and so on are long gone. As are the mobile phone contracts costing as much.

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

so my choice of games is not valid to you? overwatch is great and happily plays at 60fps @4k on ultra (its a team based shooter btw) - latest games as a comment means sod all - different genres all have `the latest games` , and many are happy at 4k - fifa 16 , dirt etc

now 4k is here we wont get 1080p on all channels - the option has been available for years , that's down to the company to support it - if a company wants to get a subscription for HD and 4k then its down to their own business model , you cannot `force` them to give it away on FTA.

the best we`ll get is 1080i - the Olympics was broadcast on BBC in 1080p , yet no one knew or could tell the difference with 1080i - 4k though has a very visable difference.

F1 is fully going sky - next season will be broadcast in 4k and you can bet if they go their own way football would be sky only in 4k as well.

18. Vault-Tec

No your choice of games is not valid to me. Why? because they're your choice and what you play. Me? I buy all of the latest titles and most of them remain to be played because they do not work on my graphics setup* and so I can't play them. They do not run at a consistent frame rate with the settings maxed on one GPU because a GPU that can do that does not exist.

In the games that I play one GPU was not enough. I can lower settings (like you probably are) and just about scrape by but by the time I have done that the game actually looks worse @ 4k than it would at say, 1440p maxed out with some sort of aliasing. Not only that but three games that I own when ran at ultra settings actually hard crash my computer because I don't have enough VRAM.

*Do note that due to this I have downgraded my resolution and will be removing one Fury X from my computer.

Just out of curiosity which 4k monitor are you using?

Personally as I said before (see beads of sweat) I think that, for example, BBC in HD is good enough. As I said, once you hit photo quality you really can't get much better.