1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Package temp suddenly 20 degrees higher?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by _DTM2000_, 6 Apr 2016.

1. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Hi,

I've been overclocking a 6700k on an Asus Maximus VIII Ranger. I was using a fixed voltage of 1.360V and LLC level 5 which gave me a nice stable voltage and worked well at 4.7GHz. I was getting a package temp of around 31 degrees on idle and around 70 degrees under load at 4.7GHz. Now all of a sudden my package temp at idle has risen to the mid 50s despite all of the core temps only reporting being in the mid to high 20s. :eyebrow:

I've tried several apps for reading package temps and they all show the same thing, including the monitor section in the BIOS. I don't think I've changed anything

My ambient temp hasn't risen by 20 degrees, so I'm a bit baffled. Does anyone know what's going on here? I know it's a long shot and there are lots of variables in play but it's worth an ask.

Cheers.

2. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

I came back to the PC this morning after leaving it switched off overnight and CPU package temp is still reporting to be in the mid 50's.

I've tried changing various settings back to default values in the BIOS and nothing has helped. However, this has shown up another issue. I now have everything set to default so that the CPU is at stock multiplier and voltage settings and the core voltage is stuck at 1.4V. It never drops below that despite speedstep appearing to drop the multiplier down to 8x successfully. So it's as though the core voltage is set manually even though it's not anymore.

So I think I'm going to try resetting the BIOS as it appears something has been corrupted. :grr:

3. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

I tried loading a profile in the BIOS that contained all the default settings and that didn't change anything. So then I tried the "load optimized defaults" option and that didn't do any thing either. So I then re-flashed the BIOS. That fixed the stuck CPU voltage issue but hasn't affected the CPU package temp. That's still in the mid 50's on idle. All 4 CPU core temps are in the mid 20's.

So I'm now starting to think that the temp sensor is faulty. :wallbash:

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I don't know how relevant this will be to you, but certain CPUs on Skylake report incorrectly once overclocked.

5. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

I've read similar things and that the reported voltages are simply inaccurate in general, even more so than usual in skylake. That I can understand but I'm seeing the same high reading on stock settings as well. I could also understand it if my core temps were also in the same ballpark as the package temp but they're 20+ degrees lower. So it doesn't even seem to be an issue with thermal paste application or something similar as I'd expect that to affect core temps just as much as the package temp.

The weirdest part is that I was consistently getting idle package temps in the low to mid 30's yesterday morning and the day before with ambient room temps around 25-27 degrees which seems normal to me. The package temp just suddenly started reporting 20+ degrees higher all the time. It's very odd.

6. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

What software are you using to read the temps?

7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

There have been instances of the 6700k substrate warping with the mounting of coolers and subsequent heat cycles. Might be worth taking out the 6700k and checking the cpu out thoroughly with a straight edge.

A colleague has just had this issue and had it replaced under warranty. His initial indicator was the same as yours, increased temps with no obvious reason why.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Was it reading temps correctly to begin with? I know my 6600K temps aren't being read corrctly.

All four cores are showing 15/16 degrees idle (at stock) in Real Temp, which is obviously nonsense. Aida 64 shows them at 18 degrees, which is also nonsense, since the ambient temp in my room is currently 19.5 degrees.

A quick jump into the BIOS show 26 degrees, which is much more believable.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2016
  9. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

software temp readings are always a little off, but 20c sounds like its bugging out. check the idle temp in BIOS as thats the most accurate readying you will get.

10. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

I've tried CPU-Z, Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, HWiNFO64 and Corsair Link. They all show the same package idle temp in the low 50's but also all show the core temps in the mid 20's.

For the first day and a half all of the above software was showing idle package temp in the low to mid 30's and core temps in the mid 20's.
    Throughout my testing my ambient room temp has been around 25-27 degrees.
    My current ambient is 26 degres and BIOS is currently reporting an idle temp of 45 degrees. I would expect the CPU to be at around 32 degrees right now. So it's about 14 degrees off.

Based on that my core temps appear to be reading a little low (as many people seem to be finding with Skylake) and package temp seems to be reading very high. At least on idle.

Once I load the system with Intel ETU or RealBench stress tests, the core temps rise into the mid to high 60's, while the package temp reaches around 73 degrees.
    So under load the values suddenly become much more believable. :eyebrow:

I've read that the on idle temp readings can be quite inaccurate, so I guess that might explain it.

Sentinel, do you know if in that instance the core temps suddenly went high as well, or was it just the package temp as in my case?

Thanks everyone.

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I don't know the exact details of which sensor(s) were reading high on his chip but after a Google and reading about warping, he checked his with an engineers rule and the substrate (green pcb) was warped which had lifted the Intel heat spreader off the cpu die underneath, causing high temps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Your vcore levels for a none overclocked 6700k are crazy, 1.25 to 1.29 is what most review sites got it down to some even below that.

Go into the advanced section of the Asus bios and set the core voltage to manual then use the + - keys to set voltage. If that does not work you will need to reset the CMOS and see if it works after.

If your following overclocking guides you will have disabled speed step as part of it, as its a lot easier to get high clocks with it not enabled.

Make sure speed step is enabled then see if the core voltage adjusts per load.

Why there is 20c difference could be explained by many things, getting the core voltage in check at stock is the first step though.