1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Pascal and Polaris Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 25 Aug 2015.

1. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Apart from the Tesla M40 being announced 8 months after the Titan X? :rolleyes: Or the Titan X being marketed mainly towards prosumer use (e.g. renderfarms, non-mission-critical compute) and the actual gamer card (the 980Ti) being released a few months after with more SMs enabled?

The top-end compute and top-end gaming (x80Ti) cards have all shared the same Gxx00 die for the last several generations. That is unlikely to change. Dies will be binned by available (non-defect) SMXs, and possible sub-SMX binning for the FP64 modules (the GTX 970 demonstrated very fine binning capability) and other 'enterprise' features that are unused for consumer cards (like ECC).

Nvidia have said P100 OEM servers will ship Q1 2017, so I can't imaging a prosumer or consumer version arriving more than 1/2 months sooner than that, if not later.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Are you sure those FLOP comparisons are equal? GP100 is absolutely not a gamers chip. I can't see how this will be used for Titan/Ti at all unless they can hack up those FP64 modules to unlock 'double' FP32? They've used twice - if not more - the transistors to enable FP64, which will be removed entirely for GP204, just like the GK series did: that saw a huge increase in die size for a respective tiny increase in shader count. In Maxwell they didn't bother to re-add FP64 in GM200.

When he's talking breakthroughs he means it uses almost the biggest interposer possible and it's the largest physical 16nm chip to date.

This. Again Computex will tell us everything on the schedule - how ready AIBs are. If they're waiting for GDDR5X then, yea, it will be into Q3. Makes me wish I had bought a 980 Ti in Jan :/

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

or its just a sticker - as in the picture theres 2 - 1 with HBM1 and 1 with HBM2

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

980Ti had less SMMs, 24 -> 22.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Hah. I already own one that's better. Funny how they say The Fastest Graphics Card for Gaming in the World1

Note the 1? then you read the small print.

Testing conducted by AMD Performance Labs as of March 7, 2016 on the AMD Radeon™ Pro Duo, AMD Radeon™ R9 295X2 and Nvidia’s Titan Z, all dual GPU cards, on a test system comprising Intel i7 5960X CPU, 16GB memory, Nvidia driver 361.91, AMD driver 15.301 and Windows 10 using 3DMark Fire Strike benchmark test to simulate GPU performance. PC Manufacturers may vary configurations, yielding different results. At 1080p, 1440p, and 2160P, AMD Radeon™ R9 295X2 scored 16717, 9250, and 5121, respectively; Titan Z scored 14945, 7740, and 4099, respectively; and AMD Radeon™ Pro Duo scored 20150, 11466, and 6211, respectively, outperforming both AMD Radeon™ R9 295X2 and Titan Z. RPD-1

lmFao. So they are basing this fastest graphics card for gaming on..... A benchmark.

But alas, when you actually look at how well it's supported you find stuff like this.

[​IMG]

So to get the most out of this Fastest graphics card for gaming you have to disable half of it.

Brilliant !

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

xcom2 has problems in general with all gaming cards and until the very latest nv drivers that too suffered crashing as well.....

9. Vault-Tec

This is what I was trying to get across to you in the other thread talking about 4k. Out of all of the latest games none work with multiple GPU whether it be SLI or Crossfire. Go have a read of The Division thread and see how Damien is getting along with SLI and 4k it's no better than me. He too has issues with Tomb Raider aswell.

The bottom line? modern games (IE modern console 'ports') do not work with multiple GPUs at all and you need multiple GPUs for 4k to be able to get a decent framerate.

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

and I was replied, to which you ignored - I play games at 4k - just not the same ones as you do , yet you dismiss that detail. well I care nothing for xcom2 or witcher or cod - I don't play them.

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

and don't get me started about NV windows 10 drivers!

had yet another `display driver has stopped responding` with the latest 364.72

12. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

Every release post 362 has been appalling, causing frequent crashes and problems. I've just sat on 362 for now to solve all the problems. Suppose it helps I'm gaming on a GTX 680 which I imagine has more 'mature' drivers.

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

don't expect anything Fermi wise to get a DX12 driver = it wont happen and what you have for Kepler (its also DX11) is the best you can expect

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've had no issues w/ Win 10 and any drivers this year :confused:
    But, yea, nothing pre-Kepler is getting DX12 support.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

"NVIDIA will start a public way for partners to sell the card, as you want to select various homemade card, it may have to wait until after July." https://benchlife.info/gp104-aka-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-will-ship-in-may-and-no-hbm2-031112016/

This is very normal - partner cards always take longer to design and Nvidia will only offer their own Foxconn-made full cards first due to limited supply + branding. The date could change but partners will be pushing to use Computex to show off their mock-ups of latest own designs. Nvidia could announce the card names but not the specs, but that's not a good way to do it.

Dodgytimes:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160408PD205.html

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

rebrands??

17. Vault-Tec

So Nvidia are cutting out the middle man now too? I mean I know they did their own 460 because they were in so much poo but I didn't know they had ambitions now.

I hope they haven't left any of the design to Foxconn they have a pretty bad rep.

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

didn't 3dfx do this ;)

19. Vault-Tec

:D

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No they always always always limit the first batch(es) to their own brand cards in AIB box, then they sell the cores alone and let them make 3rd party designs.