1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Best DDR4 Ram For Z170 Motherboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gtiboy, 9 Apr 2016.

1. gtiboy

gtiboy Minimodder

Hi, I'm planning on building a Core i7 6700k paired with the Asus Z170-A motherboard.

I hear G Skill ram is supposedly cheaper than Corsair Vengeance LPX. I see Trident Z can be just as expensive.

Can anyone recommend a good dual channel G SKill Ram for this mobo? It looks like it can take overclocked ram upto 3400mhz.

The best Corsair ram I can see for a reasonable price is this:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/16g...-(3000)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-15-17-17-35-xm

Would this suffice? or is there a G Skill ram to better this in terms of latency timings and price

2. rollo

rollo Modder

You would not notice the difference outside of benchmarks. Real world differences between 3000mhz ram and 3600 are Nil.

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Depends on your budget but the best RAM you can currently get is based on Samsung B-die ICs. It's about £150 per 16GB for a decent kit, though.

4. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Well, you'd gain a few fps in most HQ video editing or transcoding tasks (& some other more technical things) which 'could' cumulative save enough time on big projects to justify the cost, but otherwise, yes.

& whilst 3000 CL15 is pretty much the sweet spot if you're doing more than just gaming (unless 2800 CL14 or 3200 CL16 happens to be cheaper on the day)...

...if it's a gaming build then even a 2133 CL15/2400 CL16 kit should be more than adequate - with pretty negligible gains above.

5. gtiboy

gtiboy Minimodder

I'm using the computer for productive work like video encoding. I'm guessing seeing as the results will be negligible for ram rated any higher, so best stick to cheaper ram rated at 2133mhz is more than good enough?

6. rollo

rollo Modder

3000 MHz is the sweet spot on most deals 16gb for scans prices listed before is hard to beat in truth.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

3GHz w/ XMP is (or used to be) the biggest seller AFAIK. A 16GB 1.35V kit will see you through the next upgrade. HyperX (Kingston) is pushing prices lower recently from what I heard. Not sure if that's reflective in the UK, but certainly the US.

Scan have always had an ~exclusive relationship with Corsair, OCUK might be a better bet for variety or try memoryc for G.Skill: https://www.memoryc.com/computer-memory/ddr4.html#Brands[]=G.Skill&Capacity[]=16GB&Single_Dual_Triple[]=Dual+channel+kit&page=0

8. gtiboy

gtiboy Minimodder

According to LinusTech Tips. Spending more money on higher rated memory is basically spending more money for no reason. It only becomes apparent in servers, but for mainstream machines its pointless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWgzA2C61z4

9. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

As you're doing video work then it all depends on how big your projects are, the quality & how critical your time is.

Well, even a few extra fps can obviously add up, & if you're sat around waiting for the thing to finish before starting the next project (given that, for example, you could have a queue set up in Adobe media encoder to output the same HQ project in a variety of formats/qualities) then it's very different from if it's all relatively small & LQ tasks &/or your work flow is to set everything to run overnight.

Otherwise, as possibly a complete aside, have you looked at the s/w in terms of how multithreaded it is? Simply that, keeping it in the same kind of budget, it 'may' be worthwhile considering a X99 build with a 5820K instead if the s/w can utilise the threads.

Whilst i've not added up, my impression with pricing atm is that you should be able to do the 5820K, 32GB (which will be more useful the going above 3000 CL15 if you're using something like Premiere CS/CC) & a reasonable X99 board for about the same cost as what you're currently proposing.

[Edit 2]

Obviously it's also about budget so, as i had the cash, i went for 3200 CL15 for my 5960X build, as there's times when i'm doing bunches of video editing over a short space of time & so it's about being able to move on to the next project asap.

Along with that being both DDR3 & (obviously) not Skylake, the key points from that is that -

(a) there's a relationship between Mhz & timings that can cancel each other out - which i nominally covered with the 'buy whatever's cheapest on the day from 2800 CL14 / 3000 CL15 / 3200 CL16' comment...

...& whilst there are these relationships where things are roughly equal, that's not to say that there aren't sweet spots - so, more complete DDR3 testing showed that 1866 CL9 (for gaming) or 2133 CL9 (for some productivity tasks) were typically the best buys for sandy/ivy.

(b) &, as in the original version of this post above, it's all about what you're actually using the thing for & how critical your time is - & that video is looking at a consumer who games & might do the odd bit of pretty basic transcoding.

Last edited: 10 Apr 2016
  10. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

i've just done a cursory price check to see if my belief held up about the 5820K & i'm wrong - as it'd roughly be an extra £68 for the 2 extra cores/4 extra threads... ...though i'd suggest that it's definitely worth it *if* enough of your time consuming productivity tasks will scale up with threads; again modern versions of Premiere for example.

i've used the cheapest 'bin' (or best offer) on eBay for both processors, new & boxed, as they're much lower than retail - though obviously it should be possible to get either cheaper.

Well, by lucking out on an eBay discount offer & an auction coming up on the same day, my new & boxed 5960X was fractionally over £500 (£503.10 to be exact) vs >£800 retail last year... ...&, imho, eBay/PayPal's protection is more than good enough for new CPUs since they simply aren't prone to randomly failing; so it's solely about covering them turning up as listed.

5820K - <£300 new on eBay
    MSI X99A SLI PLUS - £169.99 Amazon

6700K - <£280 new on eBay
    ASUS Z170-A - £121.66 Amazon

32GB 3000 4x8GB CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX - £161.34 Jacob Elektronik Direkt (CMK32GX4M4B3000C15) - as an X99 quad kit, this will work with both.

+ cooler to suit for both.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2133 with x99 is fine, you've got 4 channels.

12. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

i was simply giving a starting point... ...though, as before, it's all about how critical time is with HQ video editing - as knocking a couple of percent off of the encoding/transcoding times going from 2133 to 3000 CL15 'could' make enough of a difference.

To give a reasonable cheaper option though, the CL14 CMK32GX4M4A2400C14 kit is £113.22 on Amazon... Again being a quad kit so will work on either build.

Obviously it's a 2400 CL14 kit - but the price difference between that & a 2133 CL14/15 kit is so small (less than a tenner from a quick look) that it'd be pointless going for a slower one.

Last edited: 11 Apr 2016
  13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Agree there. But if he was stretching for the X99 I assumed he was going to save wherever, so start with the mem.

14. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

No problem at all - & i do get where you're coming from it.

The original point was simply to check my assumption that the X99 build was much the same price - & i only tacked on a memory kit so that there was some idea of a reasonable max cost either which way...

...though i couldn't sensibly list a cooler (h/s & fan or aio w/c) as i've no idea if the OP either wants to OC or is particularly noise sensitive as either would effect what's bought.

(also, as i've used custom w/c kits for ~8 years, though i had another w/c setup previously, then i don't keep up with more basic ones - so it'd be about the OP having a look to see what the best option is for their own requirements)

Yeah, there's obviously loads of memory kits out there, but the 2 mentioned provisionally looked to be the best value for money atm - with the 3000 kit similarly being only a very small amount more than a 2666 or 2800 CL15 kit... ...albeit that the 2400 CL14 kit will be roughly the same speed as a 2666 CL15 so there'd be no sense in spending more on the latter.

Last edited: 11 Apr 2016