1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Remedy says no to Quantum Break multi-GPU support

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Apr 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

And another one. I guess after the first place did it they all just thought "Sod it, why bother?".

Am breaking down my Crossfire very soon. Wife gets a nice upgrade, I get my Titan Black back.

3. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

DX12 would make multiGPU better they said.

DX12 would make games faster they said...

My ass. All DX12 has done is move more of the legwork to shitty game developers instead who don't give a rat's ass about higher-performance machines :(.

4. Vault-Tec

Yup. DX12 multi adapter works so well that it doesn't actually work.

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Looks like just another game to join the long list of botched console-to-pc ports and another publisher that doesn't care, once it has got your money.

6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

As if it matters.

Even a 980ti can barely manage high frame rates with this turkey of a conversion.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

People expected dx12 would make life easier on high end rigs. Last good console port was GTA5 and it took a long time to develop correctly. Most would not accept that level of delay on a game to game basis.

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The only "they" who were making such claims were those who had little idea what DX12 was beyond "It's DX11 plus 1, so it must be better!".

DX12 is a low-level API. It's more powerful for developers who have the time and money to spend on performing the implementation and optimisations that would normally be done by the GPU vendor, but for everyone else it's an API that drops them in at the deep end and requires everything to be done explicitly, even things that were handled by the API or GPU driver before.
    The purpose of DX12 was to put more control in the hands of game/engine developers, but by definition that will only make development harder for them, not easier. Same with Vulkan. It's not a magic "make games faster" button.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I get where you're coming from and i agree that DX12 should come with a warning, something like here lies demons, the problem, if it can be called that, is that Microsoft seems to be pushing DX12 as a magical "make games faster" API, or at least that's how it seems to me, a layman, it's like their eagerness to get DX12 & UWP titles into the market has meant quality has taken a back seat.

10. Vault-Tec

I think in the past a console "port" (they're not ports really but I will use the term any way given every one does !) needed far more work to make it work on a PC. That meant code for the graphics and so on so I guess whilst they were there they may as well add multi GPU support (sometimes). These new ones though? they are on near on identical hardware so there could possibly be no extra work involved at all.

I said it a few weeks back but these new console "ports" are actually worse than the old ones before the Xbone and PS4 came out. They were supposed to massively improve PC "ports" too.

11. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I remember seeing something on a PCPer video, and it said that this would be the case with games limited to the Windows Store because they use a different renderer and that, that renderer does not support multi gpu configs or something like that, so when developers say it's the engines it not it is because, they don't want to put the work in and not have the games locked to the Windows store.

Microsoft is simply destroying the pc platform for major games releases to make people move to consoles, and the more games that are limited to the Windows store will all do pretty much the same thing and all have the same issues.

I may be wrong with what they said but iirc that is basically what I remember from it.

12. Vault-Tec

It's ironic really isn't it? Microsoft are pimping DX12 trying desperately not to lose customers to other operating systems yet their own games smell like crap.

The term practice what you preach comes to mind.

They can shove their store up their arse. I won't be using it because I can't be bothered to download and install a newer version of Windows 10 that apparently I don't have.

If I do buy a console it won't be the Xbox. They can swivel.

13. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Oh, I understand full well the implications of DX12, was just having a bit of snark at MS' expense given all the messaging they gave about DX12 at the launch. UWP has little bearing on the state of the game and QC - atm it's just a different packaging format and nothing more or less.

If anything, MS should have been putting their foot down and demanding that Remedy fix their crap, but no, they shipped it anyways :(

I was looking forward to Quantum Break too....

14. rollo

rollo Modder

If the game ran well on a single gpu nobody would be complaining in truth. The amount of people with SLI or CFX rigs are quiet a small % now.

We shall see how it goes long term with dx12.

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I thought UWP was more than that, at least from what I've read it seems so, if it was just a different packaging format why are there things UWP programs can't do that Win32 can (presently). :confused:

Isn't it similar to things like dot net?

16. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

DX12 does make games faster. DX12 does what it's supposed. Blaming DX12 for a shitty console game is nonsense.