1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

My Marfan support group loses an average of 2-3 per month. Normally it comes in batches. But it's really depressing when it's a little kid. Nothing like having a disease that until a few years ago nobody had lived long enough to die of old age. Average life expectancy is 35. I'm 34.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

When living on a farm in New Jersey I was asked by my at the time mother in law to fix all of the 'leccy fences and hammer in any loose wood panels.

On one wood panel that was at the top I noticed there was a white bundle in between the board and post where it was loose. I tapped it gently and nothing happened and was called by my wife so put the hammer down on top of the post. Any way, wife just wanted to know what I was doing so I turned around and picked up the hammer without realising there was a rather large and now very pissed off black widow on it. As I picked the hammer up it ran up the hammer and onto my hand.

I then screamed, threw the hammer and ran up the driveway waving my arms like the signal sign in Team America.

After I'd made sure it wasn't on me anywhere I went back and twatted the panel as hard as I could. Which resulted in a lovely splutch noise and puss like ooze.

3. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

FTFY.

4. Vault-Tec

Hah ! being bitten by a widow sucks. There isn't much they can do about it and you will be sick for months.

I don't know what was worse. That, or the time I went away for two days and came home to find out a load of wolf spiders had had a party in my bedroom and had the good manners to die. IIRC there were about nine dead spiders on the carpet which I had to sweep up with a dustpan and brush and they were about tarantula size and weight.

I found it hard to sleep in that room for a few weeks after that.....

5. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I'm gonna find it hard to sleep in my room after that, let alone yours.

6. Vault-Tec

The cure for me eventually was buying a large emperor scorpion. That and a cobalt tarantula. It was the only way I could get over my fear.

I guess that's what you get for living in London for 26 years.

Once you get into rural America though? you learn fast.

I never realised that skunk weed smells exactly like a flattened skunk. I mean, it makes perfect sense, but you wouldn't think a skunk would smell like that...

7. asura

asura jack of all trades

I know that feeling of imminence - my great uncle (I'm his exact double, used to freak my grandfather out so much) died at 29. The relief when I hit 30 cannot be described! I'm not a vascular case - so I'm expected to keep on ticking into my seventies. Grandfather made 80 - if I hit 81 then it's a big middle finger to the universe and if my brain isn't BSoD-ing then I'll drink to your memory. The strength and resilience you've shown has oft-times been a sobering and calming influence.

To keep it remotely on topic 8kg of sugar has turned into alcohol but tastes like pish! Hopefully I can save it with 'erbs & spices.

8. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I hate my job. I was thinking of getting signed off while I take a step back and regroup whilst also looking for another job. What are your guys thoughts on the employability of someone who has been on long term sick (for a number of reasons)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

I took 3 weeks off for a breather, to regroup, I did end up leaving that job, but never mentioned the 3 week break to my future employers.

I suppose depends on what you define as long term sick and what industry you are in. If you are in an industry that technology and what not changes at a slow pace then I can not see it would make a lot of difference, opposed to an industry where tech can change in weeks/months you could end up out the loop so to speak.

Kimbie

10. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I lost my job in April last year due to illness, been to nearly 40 interviews for jobs that I have 5 years of experience doing for a major company in the industry.

Every one of them loved my CV etc and the interviews were great up to the point of when they asked why I wasn't working there anymore, as soon as I told them out the door I went.

My advise don't go on long term sick unless you need to as in my experience it will pretty much destroy your chances of getting a job.

11. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

oh dear I'm probably going to lose my job on the 20th for going sick 3 times in 9 months? fml First 2 times were just 1 days, however the 3rd my doctor signed me off work for a week and told me to get straight to the hospital to have test done.

12. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Any job that doesn't value an employee enough to keep them after being off sick 3 times in 9 months isn't a job I'd want.

We all have bad years, and currently this year has been terrible for sickness's.

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

How long have you been there?

I know a lot of companies are pretty harsh if you have several absences in your first year. If you are still in a probationary first year, they can ditch you for pretty much anything these days. If money is tight and they have to start looking at staffing levels, sickness is always a favourite - it doesn;t have to be excessive, but you might have one of the poorer attendance records in your department and, if they can ditch staff with little or no outlay, they won't bat an eyelid before cutting you loose.

It's pretty crap all round.

14. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Loud eaters, everywhere.

Scratch that, not just the chewing but drinking too.

15. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

WOW that is harsh, when I lost my job it worked out that I was off ill roughly for a week at a time every sort of 3 months for 16 months.

The funny thing is for is that since I have not been in that building any more, I have not been ill for the year since loosing my job.

As for me, I had to re arrange a hospital appointment for a camera to determine if I need any more operations or not from the 22nd April, and the earliest they could get me in is the 2nd June.

16. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I've been here for six years... When my mum was ill, I looked after her and took six months off as per the guidelines policy. To be fair, full pay was great. However, now she has gone and it's been about nine months, I'm starting to get the same symptoms of depression and just want to be at home without the constant big company politics...

I have a further 41 days I can use per the guidelines... (Over a rolling 12 month period).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

My wife lost her job through sickness leave. She fell down a couple of stairs at home and badly sprained her foot and ankle. The doctor signed her off for 3 months, he wanted to go longer but she was worried about work. First day back and she gets a letter dropped on her desk.

She had had some other short term sickness periods as well, the odd day or 3 here and there as she also suffers badly with migraines and fibromyalgia (only just diagnosed so neither us nor her work knew what was causing the problems).

They ended up paying her off to agree to a resignation rather than firing her as it made it easier on them when getting someone new in.

18. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Worked for them before for a year without any sick days off, then roll on this 9 months and bam!

The problem is the jobs retail so the companys never going to treat/pay it employees good because yano it’s a sheep job. Like a conveyor belt going round with people coming and going.

Considering i've only been their for 9 months, i'm not even entitled to sick pay until after 12 so it's not like it benefited me in anyway, in fact i lost a weeks wages which i could really of done with.

19. legoman

legoman breaker of things

After spending a load on the car I now have a budge in the sidewall of one of the tyres, sods law.

20. Vault-Tec

I think my biggest "sound hate" is listening to people kiss.