1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Quitting your job, with no real plans whilst suffering from depression in order to be at home to avoid office politics doesn't seem like something that is going to work out very well.

It's going to be a difficult one to explain to any future employer. Try and get help to tackle the depression as best you can, hang in with your current job and start actively looking for a new one.

2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Speaking as a former professional, the advice above is completely correct. In addition, seeking professional help should be your first priority-and I don't mean me. Someone face-to-face that can help you. This can be a dangerous time for you.

If you have a good group of friends, reinvest yourself in them. Friends can be a great antidepressant, if they know you're suffering and they're really friends. I've been stuck in dead end jobs before-they sap your very will to live. But hold on-you're not alone.

3. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

He's correct, theirs loads of us in this situation sadly :(

4. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

[​IMG]

Since when did the best, most-popular and highest-grossing film series of all-time(source req'd) have to resort to tarnishing the back of my DVD case with how many stars the Toilet Roll on Sunday (or any other rag) gave it?

Not only that, I've just realised I've gone and bought the single-disc version!!!! NO SPECIAL FEATURES!!! NOW I AM PISSED! I'VE BEEN CHARGED FULL PRICE FOR THE POUNDLAND EDITION!

There doesn't seem to be a 2-disc DVD that I can find online. Is this an attempt to force me onto Blu-Ray/Digital Download? Man I am seething right now. Return initiated.

Last edited: 18 Apr 2016
  5. jrduquemin

jrduquemin Minimodder

Does it sound like they're eating hot soup? :)

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I have a fibreglass splinter in my eye that's giving me a pretty bad time, but that really does pale in comparison to this travesty. I hope you can come to an acceptable resolution of your problem and that there's no lasting scars, mental or physical.

7. Porkins' Wingman

Imagine having to watch a special feature-less DVD with that splinter. Exponential travesty.

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

You're a monster, how can you even suggest that.

9. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Oh the horror

10. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Got an awesome new job starting next week. Had a ct scan last week for good measure due to memory , speech and vision issues it's come back quicker then expected and asked to come in with no reason by doctors asap.

Family history of cancer and brother had brain tumours me no sleepy tonight I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Not sure, think my nan when she took her false teeth out to eat water melon is close :worried:

12. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Somewhat akin to the sound of a 10,000 strong army of vaginas marching over a muddy field?

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Perfect analogy.

14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Phone upgrade day! The excitement that builds with pre-upgrade research, grabbing everyone else's phone and shoving it in my pocket to check the fit, deciding on 'the one', pushing past all the added extras sales talk to finally get it, taking the bag they've given you and putting it in your bag for safe keeping till you get home, getting home to find out they've given you the WRONG BLOODY PHONE!!! :wallbash:

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am so sorry but that really made me laugh out load.:D

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

EDIT: Premature post....

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

At some point last week some clever fellow on my department - quite new, still a little wet behind the ears - decided that the rules/procedures I wrote regarding the production database server don't apply to him. I don't know if he was trying to impress by getting things done quickly, but he went over my head to get the access he needed in order to do whatever he was trying to do. He managed to find out how to request elevated privileges and managed to convince some unsuspecting manager - who should have damn well known better - to authorise an urgent request with IT. This is a local box outside our normal IT infrastructure, so the rules governing its use were written by me; it's all above board and authorised, but it's still possible for people to request access I don't want them to have, providing they can get the request authorised - it's no different to any of our other desktop boxes, it just has upgraded hardware.

By Friday the poop really hit the fan: massively corrupted data, deadlocks causing transactions to hang, response times through the roof, batch jobs wiping out backup files before another process had time to move them to a network, shouting, swearing, and frantic panic on a Friday afternoon as half of our BI production came screeching to a crashing halt. I managed to extract some information from the transaction logs and traced a large number of changes in a production instance to a user I hadn't authorised: our new little business intelligence "whiz kid".

The solution was quite simply: I can unpick everything that my new friend had done through careful analysis and backtracking using transaction logs, or I can have the box re-imaged and restore the last "good" backup. If someone completely ignores my procedures and hoses a box I'm responsible for then I'm sure as hell not cleaning up after them: the box is with IT for re-imaging and as soon as it's back from IT I'll restore the instances from the last backup (sadly I can't restore the OS image myself). All the lost/corruted data can be recovered from primary sources (our box just processes extracts from data warehouses, but we rely on it heavily), it'll just take a bit of work for someone; that someone won't be me.

I chose to forgo BOFH-style retribution, I didn't even make any smug comments. I just sent an email memo reminding everyone of the importance of reading my procedures, because my procedures will prevent this sort of thing happening. Your super-urgent reports that you need for Monday morning will now have to wait because there's nothing anyone can do until at least Tuesday.

Of course by this point I've already stayed a few hours after I'm supposed to while trying to figure out someone else's mess. Suffice it to say that I wasn't exactly sympathetic by that point:

[​IMG]

18. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I didn't know people still bought DVDs in 2016 TBH, just the thought of watching anything in standard def is enough to make my eye twitch

19. Porkins' Wingman

My plan was to get the DVD to have around the house for kids to watch etc., biding my time for blu-ray when the trilogy boxset is inevitably released in a few years. The only blu-ray player (secret PS3) in my house is in the cave and not known about by the rest of the household - if I bought it now on blu-ray I'd never get round to watching it, and nor would the kids.

At this point, I just don't know what to do - there's bound to be a 2-disc 'special edition' release at some point. I'm getting my money back on this Poundland Edition though, so might pick up a used version to tide us over without feeling like Mickey has inserted himself too far up my posterior. The big-eared b*****d.

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Watching any display capable of HD makes my eye twitch, so I don't.:sigh: