1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Jon Romero returns to PC gaming?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Flibblebot, 21 Apr 2016.

1. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

So the interwebs have been full of this for the last couple of days, I don't know why nobody's commented on it yet...

Hot on the heels of his new Doom level, John Romero has obviously regained the bug and is writing a new game. He's got a new studio, Night Work Games, based in Galway, and Romero himself confirmed that a ShackNews article about a strange new website called Hoxar is related to Romero's new game.

The project is going to be a FPS, but beyond that, details are sketchy.
    This YouTube video promises a reveal on Monday (25 April):

After Daikatana, though, Romero has a lot of ground to make up, so I'm in two minds about this...

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

He's also working with Adrian Carmack, which is pretty exciting: Romero and Carmack were co-founders at id, and now that there are top-end engines available off-the-shelf they arguably don't need t'other Carmack (no relation, and now at Facebook/Oculus VR) to create magic.

On the other paw: Daikatana.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Yes, it's Adrian Carmack in the Star Wars spoof video but I didn't realise that meant that they were working together.

Daikatana is still the fly in the ointment, though, and PC gamers have long memories. Hoxar (or whatever it's called) is going to have to be very, very good - just to get past the inevitable references and comparisons to the D-word.

All will become clearer on Monday.

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

John Romero escaping Daikatana would be like George Lucas escaping the Star Wars prequels.

Ain't going to happen, that'll follow him beyond the grave. Still looking forward to see what he's coming out with, I would laugh for hours if it was Daikatana 2 and the tagline was You're all still my bitch.

5. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Daikatana - never actually heard of it, should I be ashamed ?

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Here, watch this:

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Nope, you just dodged a bullet.

This neatly sums it up for me:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Apr 2016
  8. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Nope, you're not the one who should be ashamed...

:miffed:

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Congratulations on being young :D

10. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Never played it, never had any hopes for it either.

Wolfenstein and Doom were my introductions to FPS so I can't help but hold out a little hope that we might get something decent out of this but I'm not going to hold my breath.

11. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I'm not that young, I'm 35 this year.

I cut my teeth in the computing world on Dos 3.3 and an IBM XT Clone with 640KB of RAM and a 20 megabyte Seagate MFM Hard Drive.

12. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Yer still a youngster in my book. Hard drives? Luxury! If we were lucky we had two 5.25" floppy drives and considered us blessed! My first HDD was 4 MB and used a full length ISA slot. It now makes a very nice doorstop :p

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Also depends if Adrian Carmack expanded his art style from singular DOOM-esq demons (he apparently hated drawing for the 'cutesy' games id made), or, we're getting another DOOM.

But maybe that's what we need given new-DOOM is said to be CoD with demons?

14. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

...and the answer is Blackroom, "a visceral, varied and violent shooter that harkens back to classic FPS play with a mixture of exploration, speed, and intense, weaponized combat. Use fast, skillful movement to dodge enemy attacks, circle-strafe your foes, and rule the air as you rocket jump in the single- and multiplayer modes. BLACKROOM launches with unique multiplayer maps and robust modding support for the community to make diabolical creations of their own design - Coming Winter 2018 to PC!"

As is now traditional, it's all on Kickstarter for a mere £700k.

Video:

EDIT: In case you're wondering, the speech at the end says "To get Blackroom, you must fund the Kickstarter campaign by John Romero"

Last edited: 25 Apr 2016
  15. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator