1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Mirror's Edge Catalyst struck by second delay

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by JakeTucker, 21 Apr 2016.

1. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Always happy to wait if the game needs it. I guess I'm at an age where I'm ready to let the world do it's thing in its own time.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I only recently signed up for the beta so it doesn't bother me that the actual release date has been changed. As Pete says it can only mean good things - I'd rather they release a functional game later than a buggy game sooner!

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

At least EA is learning from their Battlefield mistakes.

6. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Being EA this wont be released on Steam will it?
    Won't be buying it if thats the case.:sigh:

7. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

I hope it comes to Steam, but I might have to pick it up on the PS4 instead. Origin is a real pain in the ass.

8. Vault-Tec

Why? I'm not being belligerent I just don't understand why Origin gets such a hard time when A. It's a perfectly configurable piece of software and B. You can disable it from booting with your machine so it's only really a launcher any way.

Now I understand that you can't converse with people from Steam on Origin and so on but I never quite understood exactly why people hate it so much.

I mean, even Uplay is far less hateful these days and seems to work quite well.

Thing is, going back to my friends/chatting surely if the game is only available on Origin that wouldn't matter because your friends would have to be on there any way?

Personally I quite like Origin. It's neat, I like the game cover idea and it's not caused me any issues.

9. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Minimodder

My biggest gripe is how Uplay and Origin throw a hissy if you reformat but have a separate drive containing your games. Steam handles this very well, but both of these apps require re-downloading of the entire game.

Also having multiple points to access a game means i largely forget about about the games i have in uplay and origin and so never play them.

I think the main problem is Steam sets the bar and Uplay and Origin don't meet those same expectations. As such people question why they need an additional piece of software on their machines which adds nothing to their experience.

10. Vault-Tec

TBH since going fibre I really don't tend to care too much about losing the games. There are ways to back them up on both but yeah, not as easy as Steam. That being said just recently I have been realising just how many games I have downloaded and installed that I never play. Of the games I return to? there are about three, maybe four. I started getting carried away buying larger and larger SSDs to store the games on then came to my senses.

I only use Origin and Uplay as launchers. I really don't even look at them the same way I do Steam, but then I wouldn't given Steam has been around for ages.

Going back to the question though? I think this game will initially release on Origin. It will also require always online and quite possibly Denuvo too. That means it won't be cheap.

Having said all of that if it's as good as I am hoping and the delays were to make it better? all's good. I would have quite happily paid £40 for Need for Speed I thought it was excellent.

11. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

One thing I would happily do is pay a premium to have EA games through my Steam account. I don't even care about getting them at release day through Steam, or 6 months later. I would be happy to buy year-old EA games at a higher price than they charge through Origin.

Its too many clients.
    Its too many usernames and passwords.
    Its too much hassle. No thanks.

I own 27 EA games through Steam. I don't want to split my gaming catalogue unnecessarily between 2 clients.

12. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

I just don't want several different launchers, when I can get the game (which is largely about movement, so pinpoint mouse accuracy not too important) on a console. I only tolerate UPlay because of Rainbow Six Siege, or UPlay would be gone too.

13. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Seriously? I've never understood why Steam is given a free pass and everyone else is not. I have little tome for Valve and only use it because it is required for some games - I'd avoid it like the plague if I could.

I've found that Windows 8/8.1/10 make finding games pretty simple by pinning all of the installed games to the start screen. Doesn't matter if it uses Steam, the Windows Store (or even GFWL), clicking on the game loads the necessary in the background and then launches the game.

Tags: Add Tags