1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ The Iron Turnip--6-2019-complete. final pictures on page 29

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 18 Jul 2014.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

boooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnng

Alright, I'm back. Last time I painted a bunch of stuff silver, including myself. -I looked like I felt up Gene Simmons.:eeek:

[​IMG]

-I finally grabbed some hearing protection and a pack of cutting discs and cleaned up various bits on the tank. The fan tabs had a particularly wicked ring to them during cutting. -BRUTAL.

[​IMG]

-The tabs are round and uniform now. They only had to cut me 6 or 7 times this year to finally get me to clean them up.

[​IMG]

-I need something to fill in the front of the fan grill. Scrap plexi will do.

[​IMG]

-A little more bending and some epoxy will fix that gap. ...seem to have forgot to photograph that, though.

[​IMG]

-While I had the epoxy out, these little devils have to get glued inside the tube somehow.

[​IMG]

-Here's how it went: I threaded the string through the hole, gobbed a little glue on the homemade nut, and pulled it into place.

[​IMG]

-While that dried, I pulled this bit from the scrap box. Yeah, it's a metal whiffle bat. Don't ask. When you find as many baseball bats in properties as I do... There were seven in the last place I cleaned out...-Anyway! I marked it up for cutting.

[​IMG]

-I got distracted half way through because with the bottom half cut down the middle, it made an incredible tuning fork/bell. I'm tempted to make a really loud ball bat wind chime.

[​IMG]

-At this point I got everything together to work out what I could add next. -Let's see, we have a soda tank, fan clutch, mower piston, sink faucet, broiler heatsink, ball bat...

[​IMG]

-Hmmm...

Thanks again to my sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Jul 2017
  2. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

We cut the bottom off a welding argon tank and turned it into a bell. Used a cement plant ball mill ball as the clacker. It was welded to a piece of chain that was in turn welded to the end of a bolt that was screwed into the top of the tank where the valve used to go. One of these days/years I want to get a few dead tanks to make a set of giant wind chimes. That'll piss off the neighbors! :rock:

3. Cheapskate

That would be awesome, in a bad way. :lol: I imagine cutting slits up the sides would make it ring forever.
    Outdoor wind chimes don't seem to last in this area. I guess finding them in the middle of the yard after a storm will do that. I know someone that wired up their porch ceiling fan with a plug/outlet, so they could take it down fast. -better than playing the plate glass and the pendulum.

4. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Yea, it's pretty windy here too, not hurricane windy, but we get gusts in the mid to high 40's quite often. Then there's the occasional tornado.... :worried: I've restrung one set three times now, and one set has stainless ball chain on the bottom holding the sail on now. It kept cutting the cord.:duh:

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

lmao panhandle :D

6. Cheapskate

-Not sure if referencing my last pic or weather region.
    I ditched the handle, I just want curved metal.

7. Cheapskate

Spring has sprung, and between torrential rains I've had to beat my yard back with a stick. On rare occasions I get to do some modding...
    [​IMG]
    -One of the bits I chopped while I had the cutter out was the inside of the faucet neck.
    [​IMG]
    -I had a thought that what the case needed was SPEED FINS! YEAH! I dug out a bunch of pentium heatsinks in hopes of finding something that works.
    [​IMG]
    -The end of my fan grill got capped, epoxied, sanded, and painted silver.
    [​IMG]
    -I totally screwed these up. the smaller circle was supposed to fit inside the sink neck. Well, It does, It's just way too small. -Micrometer battery fail.
    [​IMG]
    -I had all kinds of F-ups that day. Thanks humidity, but I wasn't ready to have that come off the tape yet...
    [​IMG]
    -That fat cylinder I was trying to cut earlier was to go in the middle of this wacky black heatsink. Here I've centered on the backside to cut the middle out.
    [​IMG]
    -MMMM. Cuts like butter. I love this stamp-casted stuff.
    [​IMG]
    -A bunch of stuff here. I cut a new hole in the faucet neck for cables. I can't use the hole in the back 'cuz the slide in module would hit them there. I cut a new purple cap with the right dimensions, and painted the off one silver to use on the inside. The silver should hide the gap and glue.
    [​IMG]
    -This is the original faucet end cap, and I have that chunk of clear plexi in the heatsink hole. -Beautiful fit. :D
    [​IMG]
    -Here's the plan. The purple caps go on the faucet, and there will be LEDs inside. I had planned for this to be the USB port, but I'm moving that to something roomier.
    The heatsink hole is capped like so, and there will be LEDs in the clear plexi inside. Hopefully, I can get light through the gaps in the fins. I'm leaving the side brackets for now so I have something to mount the SPEED FINS to. :lol:
    [​IMG]
    -A quick comparison of my material: The top is 1/4" of dark purple, and the bottom is 3/8" of (normal) purple.
    [​IMG]
    -This is the current plan B for the legs. I have a bunch of these server PSU heatsinks, and the fin gap fits 1/8" material perfectly. I've started hacking out 1 1/2" lengths of it.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's where I'm at with them. I've cut the long ends even so They will fit in the vice neatly.
    Next I need to cut a round profile in the short fins, chop off the long stem, and... um... I'll work on that part later.
    Before you ask: Yes. I had some U-channel that was bent to the same shape as the tank, but this has more material to put screws into.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2017
  8. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

your posts always seem to have so much ADD
    i can never figure out what your trying to do... much less why...
    but carry on, i watch

9. Cheapskate

I guess it seems like ADD since I'm working really SLOWLY on ten different things. :p
    Keep in mind; Texas is having trouble staying afloat right now. My schedule is at the mercy of Mother Nature.
    The sky has been pitch black all week, and power has been blinking daily. Friday I was without power all day.

10. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

sounds like its time to move....

11. Cheapskate

Nonsense. I live on the high ground. I do feel bad for the people that paid extra to live on the lake...
    Or that subdivision that was built on land originally put aside for a reservoir...

12. Cheapskate

[​IMG]
    -Chaos continues. Originally the sink faucet was going to hold the usb stuff, but there's no room. Later I remembered I had this big aluminum pipe. It turns out I even have a nice cap for it. Will there be room for it? -who knows?
    [​IMG]
    -Psu heatsink conversion, day 120: Here I've milled pilot holes and a curve.
    [​IMG]
    -It's amazing how a few drops of oil can turn everything into a mess. Here I turned one of the sinks 90 degrees and cut more pilot holes.
    [​IMG]
    -I had to mill out some of the fins to get the tiny bit in there.
    [​IMG]
    -Pilot holes need drilled out, but my drill press needed some work done on it. -Let's just say putting it in the messy garage turned out to be a bad idea. Not locking the table down was also a bad idea.

While I was working on that, we started getting outages, but I still have pics...

[​IMG]
    -Here I'm hack sawing off the excess material in the garage by flashlight.
    [​IMG]
    -Here I'm cutting some 2" angle aluminum that will become the feet eventually.
    [​IMG]
    -Here I drilled the mounting holes for the leg brackets.
    [​IMG]
    -Here I tapped all the newly drilled holes in the brackets.

See a theme here? I've been off the grid so much, I gave up on resetting clocks.
    [​IMG]
    -Sunlight! I rushed back inside and milled these out. Just in time, too. The power started blinking again as soon as I finished. :(
    [​IMG]
    -A little 200 grit sanding to debur...
    [​IMG]
    -Here's the rough assembly. I should have left some of the heatsink riser so I'd have something to mount stuff too. :( I only got 3 of the purple spacers cut before the power blinked...:duh:
    [​IMG]
    -I finish up with a peek of the leg layout. See you later, weather permitting...

Last edited: 13 Jul 2017
  13. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Damn, that power crap sounds maddening. And still, you manage to squeeze in very interesting work between the outages. Even though I have no idea what you're doing!

14. Cheapskate

Thanks.:D
    That seems to be a theme here. Does it help to know I don't have an exact plan myself?

15. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

:lol:

You are the Master of recycling :rock:

16. Cheapskate

-FTFY. :D

Wow. It feels weird. It's been at least 4 days since the last power blink. :worried: I must have been on the toilet for some of them.

[​IMG]
    -Hey! I finally found a way to stop that pesky GWX.exe bullsh*t.
    When I was coding the CAM files for this update's stuff, my computer stopped and said: " Do you want to save before--TOO ***KING BAD! YOU ARE REEBOOTING AND INSTALLING 10!" What's really bad is I set my rigs up to ask me to do anything, especially rebooting.
    So, virus-like behavior=hard shutdown and back up to a previous restore point. GXW seems to have a hard time reinstalling itself without internet.:D
    Anyway...
    [​IMG]
    -Half a second of thought was put into how the purple bits would be held in place. This is part one.
    [​IMG]
    -See the dif? I cut some tiny insets for the hole and fused them to the purple spacers.
    [​IMG]
    -Milling new feet. See the paper towel? That was a horrible idea. Later, a bit barely caught it, and suddenly the oily chips were gone... Well the neat pile was gone. The paper flung it everywhere before exploding into tiny oil-soaked bits.
    [​IMG]
    -You have rolled a twenty. Your paladin has done 40 damage to... ah, no. -These are case feet. You can see a tiny notch cut in the 90degree bend in the middle. That was my center reference point for flipping the part.
    [​IMG]
    -I leave this stubby update with a layout teaser. See you again.

17. Banner

Banner What's a Dremel?

Hi Cheap, new to posting on the forum, but you have kept me very amused over the years I've spent watching your builds. :) great stuff !

18. Cheapskate

Thanks for letting me be your 'first' on the forums. :lol: -Claimed another forum cherry!

19. Cheapskate

You might have noticed the liberal use of epoxy lately...
    [​IMG]
    -You know that bit under your sink that connects to the drain lever? I had a bunch of brass '70s-era ones that had been mistreated and replaced. This is a cap from one the lever seal of one. I stripped the chrome to get some hot brass action.
    [​IMG]
    -I slapped some packing cellophane on the tank and gave the power switch assembly a slathering of epoxy.
    [​IMG]
    -I milled out 4 'toilet seats' while that dried.
    [​IMG]
    -You can tell here I did a second dose of mud. I switched to electrical tape for masking because the cellophane left gaps. This pic gives you a good idea how oblong the tank is too.

Thanks again to my sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I am loving this project but lately I keep a having to remind myself that this a computer case. For the last few pages, in half your posts I not sure what is going on or how it relates to the rest of the case. I just assume there is a plan, and it will all make sense in the end. Or I am just naive.