1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress ESKIMOD 2.0 - [COMPLETED]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ToddK, 28 Feb 2016.

1. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Now that I have a mobo selected time to run a test post and see how things look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now with the yellow gel over top. Looks like it should work out nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

So, based on the above I need to re-create the gel templates. This time I'm going to create them as a full squared-off cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A fancier pic, but a better view of the gel cover. Still going to have to paint the heat spreaders to match.

[​IMG]

Cheaps will be glad to hear I didn't use heat & glass this time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Apr 2016
  3. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Well acrylic has arrived and building is ramping up. Time to try and find my workbench under all the Christmas stuff...

[​IMG]

Ah! There it is.

[​IMG]

So for drilling acrylic I found these bits this spring. They're for drilling glass and ceramics. I presume they'll do okay on acrylic too.

[​IMG]

And I already know I'm going to have to drill & tap some new holes in a bay reservoir I have coming. So why not test it out today?

[​IMG]

Test drilling seems to have gone quite well. Needs a little clean up on the bottom of the holes.

[​IMG]

And the tapping seems to have gone fairly well. The plug is snug.

[​IMG]

Now to cut out a motherboard tray. I have an old piece of polycarbonate from a window of my first ever mod project. Been sitting on a shelf for a year or two, so time to repurpose it.

[​IMG]

And this is why you wear safety glasses folks. Two chunks of cutting wheel went careening off of my face.

[​IMG]

So after that I just finished it up with a hacksaw and some hand files.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will be drilling some holes and mounting it directly onto the square tubing for uber support.

[​IMG]

4. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

It's all about the details.

[​IMG]

5. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Early start on a long weekend, woohoo! Began the day designing a bracket for the motherboard. Thinking I can make it removable so that's it's easy to work on and install.

[​IMG]

Result:

[​IMG]

And sound the angel music (aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!) The acrylic has finally arrived!

[​IMG]

Much cutting later...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting closer. Finding that the hacksaw > jig saw > dremel. Sorry dremel, but I just bought a pack of cutting wheels and two broke immediately.

[​IMG]

And a quick fit test. May have to sand a millimeter off around the edges. Better too much than too little.

[​IMG]

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Masonry bits on plexi? I'd get some water on that cut next time. It looks like it was getting too hot.
    The big issue with drilling plexi is that moment when the bit first makes it through and starts to grab. The blowout/ chipping can be stopped with a chunk of wood sacrifice underneath.
    If you need a big hole, start with a small one, and work up the bit collection to the size you want. -slowly. Pressure and speed are where standard bits cause failures. [/preach]

7. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Sage advise. I shall try that out. :thumb:

8. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Cutting down the side panels and sanding them even this weekend.

[​IMG]

Fit seems pretty good so far. May have a millimeter or two to shave off the back side yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the internal side panels still need notches cut out.

[​IMG]

9. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Some final checks on measurements. Two of the panels go outside and need some further sanding down of the edges. The remaining two go inside the case and require some cuts for the motherboard tray, rear deck fans and top reservoir. Just marking down the sanding and cut points for tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Holy weekend of cutting and sanding. I had to go buy a mask today since I could still smell acrylic dust this morning, yuck. But shaving it down to perfection is it's own reward.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside and outside side panels are cut and ready. Just need to work out the screw positions and drill, then I can assemble the base frame.

Printed off a template of the EE logo. I'll tape it to several layers of acrylic and either sheet metal or aluminum and cut & shave that down as well. Also needed it to figure out the positions of the screw holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully will have the base frame and mobo tray all screwed together tomorrow and be ready to cut out the remaining panels of the outer shell.

11. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Holes drilled and side panels affixed. Good day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Weekend incoming. Just thought I'd drop a quick shot of the parts that have been accumulating for the build. Might have the basic shell done this weekend and be ready to start mounting parts next week. Hopefully.

[​IMG]

Big thanks again to the sponsors of this project.

[​IMG]

13. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Final shipment of supplies got sent out today. Very exciting! Need to get the remainder of the shell in place. Starting with the bottom and attaching those MnpcTech case feet. Super classy looking and sturdy. Loving how it looks on the project!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Well, hoping to get the rest of the acrylic shell knocked out this weekend. Presuming of course that my dead lawnmower doesn't take forever to fix up.

Motherboard tray is mounted. Clear polycarbonate sheet. Hoping it gives the motherboard a bit of a floating effect after mounted. We'll see how that turns out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Screwed directly into the aluminum frame with a bit of lean on the side panel for additional support. Will be wanting to create a 'shelf' for the motherboard though to help take some of the stress off of the screws. Can never be too safe, right?

[​IMG]

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The screws should be fine if it's polycarb. 1/8" polycarb is pretty flexible, though. It'll sag under the weight if your braces don't take the weight.
    Gonna be sooo green, though.:lol: I can't remember anyone building using normal green. I bet the plastics shop has confetti drop when someone orders green.

16. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

It's actually 1/4" polycarb, so it's really pretty sturdy. Worst case I have room in back still for a couple metal bars behind it to help out if it looks like it's having issues.

Nearly spit out my coffee on the confetti comment. Too funny! I'm really excited to get the paper off. The color is SO fresh and being able to see the frame through it should be just fab. :rock:

17. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Well, didn't get as much done this weekend as I was hoping, but on the upside I did fix the mower (eventually) - YAY!

Got the back side panels cut. Haven't screwed them down yet. Still need to sand them down a bit for a better fit. Got the inside panels for the rear deck built. I have enough room there to add another radiator at some point if I choose. Right now I'll just stick with the single 3x120 in the front. For now putting the 3x140 fans in the back and custom fan grills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will need to cut out some ventilation for air (clearly) in the deck panels. Also wanting to get some mesh to put between for a dust filter. Will need to print the 3rd fan grill. I'll tackle that in the morning.

[​IMG]

18. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I like it dude. Very much ! it's very different :)

Like the colour combo too, should be very happy and serene :)

19. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

This is so uniquely unique in every way.
    Those grills are so cool, and the color combo is happy, as noted above.

Almost not looking forward to seeing hardware installed - only a dfi lanparty mobo could do this justice, and even then the gpy would be a problem...

- unless you are going to plastidip...?!?!

20. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Looking good. Seeing the fan grills on the case they doesn't look out of place.