1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice No to X99 and yes to Z170M (Changed thread title)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 3 May 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

How are these three items looking guys?

My basket at Overclockers UK

Total: £377.93
    (includes shipping: £0.00)

I suspect the advice will be to go for 2 x 8GB of RAM but I want the four slots filled, (bling) and do not see myself ever needing any more than 16GB of RAM.

What about adding an Intel 540s 240GB M.2 will this be a reasonable boot drive?

Last edited: 3 May 2016
  2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Might need to change the RAM, its quad channel, Z170 skylake supports dual channel. Fill the slots for sure but you'll need 2 packs of dual channel rather than one pack of quad.

Unless quad works in dual channel mode, I don't know.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks for responding I meant to change my thread as I am just going for the two sticks.

This OK? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/avex...annel-kit-avd4uz124001608g-2ci-my-101-ar.html

4. SMIFFYDUDE

That'll work no problem.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Surely there's no difference? It'll just run as dual channel. Quad-channel kits are just four matched DIMMs, and dual-channel kits are two matched DIMMS.

Only reason to pick and choose between two dual-channel kits and a quad-channel kit would be if it worked out cheaper one way or the other.

6. SMIFFYDUDE

Oh OK I wasn't sure, I thought I'd mention it just in case.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Will the 2 sticks be any better operationally than four as I was told that with four sticks it would be marginally slower?

8. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

With 2 it will be more stable if your pushing it with the overclock.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Not really a overclocker Chris, had limited success in the past I have to admit.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Anyone suggest a decent low profile cooler for this build?
    I am currently using a Silverstone NT06-E would that be suitable?

11. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Tbh even when I have filled all the slots it's never caused a problem with my clocks. It's more to do with the really extreme clockers

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Cheers mate, not sure whether to just get two or four, I cannot see me ever needing 32Gb so having the 4 slots filled does make it a little better looking as far as I am concerned.

Any thoughts on my cooler question?

13. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

I doubt you will notice any difference in buying 32gb ram over 16, I'd save the money and put it toward something that will make a difference.
    Can you not fit a little closed loop cooler in the case? It's the carbide 240 you are using yeh?

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I did not mean I would buy 32Gb of RAM so I could fill the slots I meant rather than 2 x 8Gb I would get 4 x 4Gb instead.

I know this is going to sound anal as I do have a closed loop or AIO, the Silverstone Tundra TD03 but I find the radiator to bulky and it spoils the symmetry of the my fan placement and of not forgetting it is also black.

15. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Still can't see there being any difference other than all the slots being filled.
    Personally i would stick to 2 sticks and maybe later add another 2 if i needed more ram.
    It does increase the risk of faulty ram and instability depending on the board. Some can be temperamental with all the slots full but chances are all would be fine.

You mentioned that you were not going to be doing much overclocking so pretty much any decent after market cooler will do the job. Just pick one that fits the style/price point you like.

EDIT: Also do pay attention to the height of the cooler and ram. especially on smaller boards air coolers can block the first ram slot and deem it unusable while the cooler is installed.