1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X OC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Team bit-tech, 10 Jul 2015.

1. Team bit-tech

Team bit-tech Administrator Administrator

2. loftie

loftie Multimodder

This article isn't in the latest 5 on either the Home or the Hardware pages, it's underneath them. Nor could I comment in the article itself.

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Should be sorted now!

4. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Welp... R9 Nano... maybe third time lucky?

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I don't know why you'd write this off.
    If you're gaming above 1080 but the flagship cards are too rich for your tastes then this seems to make a lot of sense over the 980.

I think if you actually look at the power and thermals: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2015/07/10/sapphire-r9-fury-tri-x/10 The the difference is going to have a very limited real world affect in most cases.

6. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

I'm most writing it off because of price. Yes- it's faster than the GTX 980, but it's also a power hog compared to nVidia's offering. The 980 was released nearly a year ago- September 2014 which means significantly cheaper second-hand stock around (either B-grade from shops likes or from places like the Bit-Tech Buy/Sell forums), coupled with the fairly aggressive pricing on the 980 right now at around £350... it isn't a very compelling offer at 1080p-1440p. It's a write-off because it's a Q3 2015 product exchanging blows with a Q3 2014 product. But this is unfortunately a familiar tune for AMD.

7. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Looks like a strong performer but it'll be a cold day in hell before I spend that kind of cash on a graphics card. :)

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

For a £100 difference that isn't compelling at all. Slightly better than the 980 in general, but draws over 100W more power and runs hotter, which ruin it for me. If only it was £100 cheaper.

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I know it's early days for the new GPU benchmarks, but could you get a 970 in there please so there more of a spectrum for comparison. Also for the overclocking charts can you have the overclocking results for all the cards, possibly instead of the stock card results. Would give a better like for like comparison.

10. Xir

Xir Modder

Yes please.

11. malthus80

malthus80 What's a Dremel?

A 970 benchmark would be very helpful, specially as I am considering getting one to upgrade from a 670. Would love to know how it compares to the 390 in games like the witcher 3. I don't really understand why its not there as this is probably the most popular card of all the high end models.

12. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

The results make me feel relieved in my 980's investment.

However, I wonder if DX12 could separate the manufacturers cards.

13. Georgecaldwell

Georgecaldwell What's a Dremel?

The new $375 GTX 1070 is going to be almost twice as fast as AMD's top tier card! I knew it was a mistake for them to re-brand the 7000 series for a third time. AMD needs to stop waiting until late May and after May to launch their new CPU's. They need to release them ASAP to make up for this. Once the 1080 and 1070 come out they will have no choice to drop GPU prices dramatically. That will hurt them. If their new CPU is any good that can make up for it. I don't want to lose AMD. If it was not for AMD the new GTX 1070 would be $600 and not $375.

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Erm. The 1070 has been touted as "As good as Titan X". At 4k, where the Fury X really belongs there is hardly anything in it between the Fury X and Titan X. The Fury X has far better memory than the 1070 though I will admit there is a lack of it. However, what you are saying seems very confused. No figures at all have been released on the 1070 yet (not showing any real performance). Maybe in *some* things it will be as fast as a Titan X but I feel the truth is being embellished slightly here and at some things the Titan X will probably still be faster due to a far better spec memory wise (possibly).

Please don't fall for hype. Learn to understand the actual figures.

However, at $379 even if you threw it away next year that wouldn't be so bad.

Tags: Add Tags