1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress (FINISHED) "Dark Matter" by Envious Mods •3D Printed Parts•

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by EnviousMods, 7 Jan 2016.

1. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Congrats on the sponsor. Say hi to Steve for me.

Also please more photos of the side routing plate.

2. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

Thank you very much. I appreciate the comments. Are you talking about Steve L. from Supermicro? Which part are you referring to? (Side routing plate?)

3. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Yes that Steve :)

Yes the side routing plate you had done now.
    It was such a small picture you posted. It is worthy of a few pictures.

4. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

Will do. I'll be posting some more pics of it on another update very soon. I'm waiting for some m4 bolts and some o-ring cord before mockups. It will definitely get the pics it deserves. This is just a sort of teaser before the unveiling.

5. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New Sponsor: Gskill

Gskill I sending some of their best ram modules for the Dark Matter scratch build. I use Gskill Ripjaw ram in the shop/daily PC and I've been extremely happy with it. Gskill Trident DDR4 is not only beautiful in looks but, its also a overclocking beast. Last I checked they had the record for speed. I will be doing some overclocking to this rig after its built.

The ram will need some green paint to match the scheme and I will also re-cut the vinyl Gskill logo to go back on once re-assembled. I am excited for their arrival. Ive done a rendering of the basic color change but, I have a few more additions that I will save until the ram arrives.

[​IMG]

Paint Matched BeQuiet PureWings 2 Fans: Right Side 240

Over the last couple days I decided to paint two more of the PureWings 2 PWM 120mm fans for the bottom door on the right side. The last pieces needed for this side should arrive any day now. I want everything prepped before their arrival so I can get right to mock-ups. The custom acrylic 240mm grill I designed will be at the shop soon as well. I haven't decided what color I will paint it yet.

The grill from EMI Designs just now showed up and needs to be painted. This grill goes on the inside of the bottom door so it will only really be seen when the door is open. Some of it will be viewable through the fan blades from the other side.

[​IMG]

Right Side Bezel/Panel & Door:

My metal arrived a couple days ago. I took advantage of its arrival by cutting the main panel/bezel for the right side. After some filing and sanding I managed to paint it so it could be remounted. I finished most of the work on the door earlier in the build. Now that the hinges have cured I can re-mount everything so you can check it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Honeycomb Acrylic Floor:

I wanted to do something special for the pump and where its mounted. I put together a honeycomb design and EMI Design cut it out of 12mm acrylic. I want to do a few special mods and I'm going to do to it before its final mounting. It will be really neat once its all installed and painted.

Before I paint it I want to try edge lighting it. I left enough space on one side just incase I wanted to do this. Early testing of this is looking good. This side of the floor will hold the EK Revo pump.

[​IMG]

Update: 3D Printed Cable Passthrough Bezel

All the prep work had already been done on the 3D printed bezel that hoes around the cable passthrough. I decided it was time to paint it and I'm very happy with how it came out. The semi gloss light grey looks killer. Once I paint the frame rails flat black, it will really pop.

[​IMG]

Update: Vinyl Wrapping 240 Grill

I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to paint the 240 grill or leave it clear. I figured that wrapping the top and leaving the edges clear would be the best of both worlds and it allowed me to change it either way down the road. The Ice Silver vinyl does a great job and fits the color combinations rather well.

I took a few progress pics so that you could see how stuff like this is wrapped with vinyl. Starting out I cut the vinyl a little bit larger than what I'm wrapping so that I can trim to fit. After that I lightly run my finger against all the edges which helps down the road with trimming the details. When I move on to the detailed parts I start but, roughly trimming everything and then go back to do it exact.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. kim

kim hardware addict

I follow your build since you started it, I find your case really nice, a lot of imagination and a very original design, and great skills also of course, I am impatient to see it finished, a very very nice build, impressive work...and a pleasant worklog to follow

8. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

Thank you for the kind words Kim. I'm happy to hear that you've been following along with the build. It won't be too long now before its finished. Thanks again!!

9. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

loving the colors, this is gonna be "Epic Envious" when it's finished! :D

10. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Looking incredible as always buddy! :clap: :clap:

11. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

Thank you and I appreciate the comments. I've always wanted to do a build with this color palette and this build was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. It's also great because it's the colors of Envious Mods.

Thanks a bunch buddy!! The next few updates should be some really good ones. :thumb:

12. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Painting: Switch Panel Insert

Now that I have the correct grey I can paint the switch panel insert. I also took some time to sand the cutouts so that they are nice and smooth. This took no time at all to paint and came out awesome.

[​IMG]

Inner Door Panels:

As mentioned previously I will be cutting an inner door panel to sandwhich the acrylic windows. It is the same concept found it car doors. Doing this wasn't in the original plans but, my OCD kicks is and its now being done.

[​IMG]

Im glad I thought to do this though because when people see how clean the back side of the door is they will understand that I put a lot of effort into the parts you wont see. Sandwiching the panels also adds a lot of regitity while keeping the weight minimal.

The spacing between the inner and outer panels isn't very much but I may run a strip all the way around the outer edges. Luckily I already have the materials to do so. I will probably wait a little while before building the edge. That way I have everything exactly how I want it when it's done.

[​IMG]

Bottom Door (Left Side):

There's a lot going on for this bottom door. Hey has two fans mounted to it and a lot of details. There are three panels that make up the door. Two of which are acrylic and the main mount is made out of metal.

Once everything is painted you'll really see why there are two outer panel sandwiched together. The front panel will be painted black to match the rest of the case and the panel behind it which is a few millimeters larger will be painted in the green.

I started by mocking everything up and mounting the hinges. I am very happy with how great it looks; even though a lot of it isn't mounted yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Messing Around:

I had two separate pieces that were built for different parts of the build. I just so happened to lay them on my workspace next to each other and they looked like they were built to go together. I couldn't help but take a pic of what it looked like.

[​IMG]

13. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Update: Lexan Water-path

A large Lexan water path that goes on the backside of the motherboard tray is now able to be mocked up. I'm still awaiting the arrival of the O-ring cord and the allen headed bolts needed to finish this piece. I've had quite a few requests to show as much as possible of the water path so I figured I would mock it up for you all.

This water path is something that I've been wanting to do for the last couple of years but I didn't have the means to do so until now. Since the idea was conceived through this I've seen a handful of custom cases and builds with water-paths integrated into them. Mine offers up a little more than what I've seen commonly though. The hardline tubing goes through the motherboard tray so that it can make its way to the components.

[​IMG]

Custom Aluminum Brackets: Water-path

I decided to take the longer route when mounting the Lexan water-path. Originally I was just going to use standoffs to give it a 25mm gap behind it. Once I started looking into it more I realized that it would greatly benefit from the use of bent aluminum strips. I don't have a professional bending setup or even a cheap one but, I do know; where there's a will there's a way.

Doing a ton of measurements, clamps, a hard edge and a 2by4 I managed to not only make a killer bracket; I pulled off a matching set. This allows me to run wiring behind the water-path. It also lets mount and dis-mount the water path easily. To me this is very important.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New Sponsor: Gigabyte

I want to thank Gigabyte for sponsoring the Dark Matter build with SLI 4gig 960 Extreme edition GPUs. These GPUs are absolutely stunning. Originally I had planned on water-cooling the cards but, after seeing these I've decided to wait on that. Instead I will be doing some awesome mounts for them. Once the two GPUs arrive I will test mount them so that you can see exactly what I'm thinking about.

[​IMG]

Modder Update Nomination:

This build is also in the running for Bit-techs Modder Update. Go check out the sweet builds involved and if you love Dark Matter make sure to shoot us a vote. Thanks to all those who have supported this scratch build.

14. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Very nice routing plates.

15. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

Thanks Hukkel! I appreciate it. I've been wanting to do those for a long time now and it's great to finally see them start to come together.

16. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New Water-cooling Sponsor: EKWB

Im happy to announce that EKWB will be sponsoring a lot of the water cooling gear needed for this build. I will be using their Coolstream XE 480 rad, x-top Revo pump, the X3 250 reservoir and the Supremacy Evo CPU block. The package from them just arrived so you know you'll be getting some sweet install pics.

[​IMG]

Under LEDs Mounted:

This didn't take very long to do but, I wanted to mount two blue DRL LED strips under the case near the inside of the stainless steel rolled lip. These two DRL lights work perfectly to give the bottom of the case a soft blue glow.

[​IMG]

Update: Mocking Up The Lexan Water-path

Now that the brackets are made and drilled, its time to mock up the water-path. I have already market out the basic location on the back side of the motherboard tray. The water-path has to be lined up with the door. The hardline tubing comes out of the door slightly on its way to the other side of the motherboard tray.

[​IMG]

EK Revo Pump: Test Mounting

I had already put together and painted the stand for the pump. I still need to put rubber shock absorbing gaskets on the bottom of it. The pump from EK already has a shock absorbing mount but, I wanted to carry this over to the stand that will hold the pump. The EK Reeve pump w/a plexi top os truly a thing of beauty. It can be mounted horizontally or vertically with a mount from EK.

[​IMG]

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Sweet manifold. :D

18. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

Thanks Cheaps. I always appreciate when you stop by to monkey around.

19. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Addition To The Top Grill:

I felt like the top grill was missing something so I started sketching out ideas. The grill is made up of hand cut strips of aluminum with a thicker acrylic center strip. I wanted to run a tapered strip of acrylic vertically. The styling matches the other pieces of acrylic on the top of the case. I also notched out space for the bezel that goes around the EK logo. I will paint it flat black soon.

[​IMG]

Modding EK Supremacy Evo CPU Block:

I went with a less commonly used block from EKWB because I didn't want the same stuff seen on a bunch of other builds. I also wanted to go for the more industrial/futuristic look. It took me a long time to come up with the font and size that matched the milled OUT/IN on the block. I got it very close and It looks great. I also added a custom designed, “Danger Antimatter” vinyl decal to the block which carries on the theme. I might add a little bit of green to it but, I'm going to wait until I have a chance to test mount it on the motherboard.

[​IMG]

Lexan EK X3 Reservoir Mount:

Now that I have the EK X3 250 Reservoir I wanted to try cutting a mount out of some really thick lexan I have in the shop. The lexan can be pretty expensive when you get into the thicker stuff so hopefully it turns out like I hope it would.

[​IMG]

20. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gigabyte GTX 960 Extreme GPU Arrival:

The two GPUs I will be using for the build arrived today. I want to thank Gigabyte for supplying me with these sweet GPUs. I love the look and design of them. They both also come with backplates that would make even the avid enthusiasts smile. I will be doing a few mods to these so that they fit in with the overall build design. I also have some special mounts designed for them.

[​IMG]

Modding Ideas: Gigabyte GTX 960 Extreme Ed.

I started out by doing some designs on my laptop. The first one I came up with incorporated the Gigabyte eye with Xtreme Gaming. Xtreme Gaming is what denotes these versions of the GPUs. They have true RGB LEDs that are capable of over 16 million colors. This makes them customizable to any build without modifications.

I took the design and welded them together. After that it was a matter of cutting them out of vinyl and mounting it on the backplates. I will also be doing some mods to the fan side as one will be mounted vertically and the other horizontally.

[​IMG]

Finishing The Front Pieces of Acrylic:

When I first started building the frame I cut all the major pieces of acrylic needed for the front of the case. Now that I have my EK XE 480 radiator I can continue work on the front. I started by painting all the pieces of acrylic that I had already cut out.

[​IMG]

EK Vinyl Work For XE 480 Radiator:

In between coats of paint I designed and cut the vinyl pieces that will go on the side of the 480 radiator. There's a few more parts that will be added to it but for now I thought it would be neat to show you some of it.

[​IMG]