1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows BBC Top Gear

Discussion in 'General' started by samkiller42, 13 Dec 2010.

1. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Couldn't watch the whole show only got as far as them introducing Gordon Ramsey and Jesse Eisenberg before turning it off.

They've fallen into the trap of trying to replicate the previous show, which itself was starting to look tired dispite the great chemistry between Jezza, Hammond and May.

Chris Harris is criminally underused, hidden away on the 'Extra' show, he should be fronting the main TopGear, and Rory Reid could have also been put to better use.

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Few minutes in and realised how much I dislike Chris Evans who seems more full of himself than he normally is. Not for me.

3. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Evans is an over excited giger twit - far too excited for my liking, if he could just dial that back about 10 notches. Didn't find Matt too offensive but got bored and turned off half way through.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Remember, it took JC a whole year to find his feet in the show, and that season didn't even have Captain Slow at all!

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I found that it odd that Evans introduced Matt then cut to a segment on American cars where the German girl hardly got a mention.I thought there were a few presenters now? Obviously squarely aimed at the American market then.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It was OK, not really feeling Matt Le Blanc, he is OK in the films but the voice overs he sounds bored, thought Rory and Chris seemed a better pairing when I watched their bit on line.

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Rather than simply replicate the old format, they should have let Chris showcase his talent and let him refresh the format.

It wasn't as bad as some in here are posting, but it could have been a lot better.

Matt is an actor, not a presenter. He doesn't come across as natural or comfortable.

8. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

The current format was Clarkson and Andy Wilman's idea. The show was made mainly around Clarkson naturally it'll blossom. 'Buffeting' May was the final piece of the jigsaw. They should have made the show around the new presenters but Evans was an odd choice though.

9. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

God that was the worst opening ever. Echoes everywhere. Catering jokes. Crap. I want to watch it but I just can't.

What's with the screams too? Boring

10. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

It was OK.

Evans was a bit overexited, will probably be better in an episode or four.
    LeBlanc was a bit boring, hopefully he will be more lively in the next episodes.

I actually watched SIARPC, for the first time in years.. the addition of rallycross was nice, and less boring talk for promoting films and so on.

less of the old boring gags.

Remember the first season(s) of the (old) new top gear, Richard an Jeremy were pretty darned awkward before they got into the flow...

This is not my final verdict, I will give them 2 more episodes before I make my final decision. :p

STILL, it was better than top gear australia..

11. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

It's very early days but once it got going, I enjoyed it. It should get better as they settle in.

The star of last night's show for me was the chap in Blackpool (the Mayor?). Very funny. :)

12. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

The extragear is much better. I actual quite liked that.

13. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I didn't watch it but have heard from a few people that it was very good. I assume it's on the iPlayer?

14. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

It is yes along with available for download on sky demand. It's not trying to be top gear, it's just Chris Harris and another quite likeable chap presenting a short overview of top gear whilst having the odd actual Chris Harris type mini review thrown in for good measure.

Top gear is dead but extra gear is refreshingly different and worth the watch.

15. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Cheers, I'll check it out later (currently dans le jardin with my feet in the pond).

16. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Matt LeBlanc's listlessness takes a bit of getting used to. Evans is a bit of a ****. Still better than the old fogeys though.

17. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Agree with this 100%. People are more likely to scrutinise (over-scrutinise perhaps?) the show because of the circumstances under which it was revamped, which leads to nitpicking.

In general I thought it was OK-ish, reasonably enjoyable in places, but yeah Evans is really annoying - mostly because he shouts ALL THE TIME and can't seem to tone it down.

My main gripe is with the scripting, particularly the constant and annoying reminders that Matt is some sort of A-list American celebrity who we are privileged to have present our "British" show. Big deal... get over yourself, and just present the bloody show. Nobody cares.

18. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

It was okay. Evans needs to stop trying to be Clarkson, as soon as he starts giving his own take it won't be too bad. LeBlanc is a tad up himself on this show, and he isn't really suited to the role. Still, it wasn't as terrible as I expected after hearing about the production woes.

19. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I'd say it had all the usual issues any pilot/remake/re-imagining/recasting of a show has. It will take a few episodes or even a season to find it's own identity and rhythm. I have hope, even if Chris Evans did really annoy me in this one.

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Just watched it this evening, was ok-ish. Evans was way ott, works on tfi as it's a loud setting, but needs to use his inside voice more, if he even owns one. Matt was OK for his first outing, sounds like he's smoked a lot of cigars since he was in friends, but seems at least like he's reasonably knowledgeable.

Still think they should have more 'proper' reviews or at least more details on the cars. Vette hardly got 2 lines of a description. UK vs USA will get very old very quickly so I hope it's done and out the way now. The extra thing was a little odd, Harris looked a bit bored, why have another 'celebrity' section if they're not gonna drive the lap? Chris Ramsey didn't even plug anything that I remember. Rory was nice and wooden, like a solid oak table.

It needed revamping and changing, not slotting roumd pegs in square holes that used to be sealed tighter than Mother Teresa's legs. I need to subscribe to evo again.