1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The Shooting Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 May 2015.

1. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

S'all good then.
    It was just something I was keeping a semi interested eye on but hadn't followed up for a while which I thought may apply to that there new shootin' iron

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

UPGRADES!

[​IMG]

FAB (company name, not an opinion on the design) polymer ergonomic pistol grip to replace Sig's stock version, in BROOOON.

[​IMG]

PTS Fortis Shift aluminium angled foregrip with KeyMod fixings to replace the teeny ickle vertical foregrip, also in BROOOON.

[​IMG]

Best Fittings 12g to 88g CO2 adapter, which lets me use the smaller CO2 capsules instead of the bigger ones. The advantage? You're not supposed to store the gun with a CO2 cartridge in, but I'm unlikely to fire off a full 210-ish shots on a visit to the range. The disadvantage? You only get about 30 shots (one full magazine) from the 12g cartridges.

I think that's me done. Don't fancy sticking a flashlight on it ('cos the range ain't exactly dark), or a laser, and there's no need for a scope.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The Best Fittings adapter arrived... and doesn't fit, ironically. It's not exactly like the picture - the 'nut' part is much smaller - and the upper threaded portion which is supposed to screw into the 88g CO2 piercing thing doesn't reach before the nut fouls on the stock.

Boo-urns.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

I thought SIG Sauer was based in Germany?

Ummm, interesting. How's the agelimit? I mean, how old does it need to be as an "antique"?

5. Gareth Halfacree

Apple's based in Cupertino, but last I checked my MacBook was still made in China...

EDIT: I waited until I was at my desktop to look this up. Apparently, there is no definition of "antique" in the legislation (handy!) but pre-1939 is the guidance, so long as it's: muzzle-loading, breech-loading in non-.22, .23, 6mm, and 9mm rimfire (in other words, obsolete calibres you can't buy any more); breech-loading using "ignition systems other than rimfire and centrefire" including pinfire, needlefire, lipfire, cup-primed, teatfire(?), and basefire systems; breech-loading centrefire using specifically-listed obsolete calibres and not modified to a current calibre; and shotguns and punt-guns chambered in 32 bore, 24 bore, 10 bore (2 and 2 inch only), 8 bore, 4 bore, 3 bore, 2 bore, 1 bore, 1 1/4 bore, 1 1/2 bore, and "vintage punt guns and shotguns with bores greater than 10" along with pre-1939 rifles in the same bores.

Pre-1939 firearms which are *not* to be exempted as antiques include, but are not limited to: shotguns and smoothbore guns - including shot pistols - using standard shotgun cartridges, or .22, .23, 6mm, and 9mm rimfire cartridges; rifles and handguns using .22, .23, 6mm, or 9mm rimfire cartridges; revolvers, single-shot pistols and self-loading pistols chambered for .25, .30, .32, .38, .380, .44, .45, .455, .476, 6.35mm, 7.62mm, 7.63mm, 7.65mm, 8mm, and 9mm; reproduction firearms or original firearms modified to use current shotgun cartridges or other current cased ammunition; weapons made before 1939 but which were extensively modified post-1939; signalling pistols chambered for 1" and 1 1/2" cartridges or 26.5mm and 27mm cartridges; and pump-action and self-loading centrefire rifles aside from those chambered in specifically-listed obsolete calibres.

Also, if you're pulled up before the beak you're expected to own the antique as an "ornament or curiosity" - in other words, while I could have technically bought the Colt I would have been in trouble if I'd bought black powder, shot, and taken it down the range for Wednesday night's black-powder sessions.

The More You Know!

Last edited: 2 Jun 2016
  6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

SIG Sauer is an interesting company.

SIG is an acronym for Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft which translates literally to Swiss Industrial Company. As a company, SIG has been around since 1853 and makes a little bit of everything. In 1860 they got into the firearms business and in 1908 built the world's first self loading military rifle, the Mondragon, on contract to a Mexican designer.

SIG has always built excellent quality weapons, but due to Swiss export laws they can only sell them to people who don't want them. In order to get around this, SIG partnered with the German company JP Sauer and sons in 1985. Sauer itself has a long history making pistols for the German commercial market, and the combined company was able to market the SIG designs in the US, as well as enter the American military pistol trials to replace the M1911. The SIG Sauer P226 came in second in the trials, having been beaten by the Beretta 92F solely on cost. Commercially, their products have been extremely popular in the US due to their high build quality and exceptional accuracy (for a pistol, anyway), but they suffer due to their high cost.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

Seems there's a German Sig-Sauer (in Eckernvörde) and a US Sig-Sauer in New Hampshire.

There's also Sig in Switzerland, and Sauer in German, that used to be owned by Sig but isn't anymore :rolleyes:

8. Gareth Halfacree

Well, the parts have arrived: the Fortis fits wonderfully and feels great to use; the FAB grip, however, doesn't. Oh, it feels fine: but Sig has decided to ensure you can't easily swap out the grip on the MCX/MPX by using a 3/4" screw where a real AR-pattern rifle uses a 1" screw. I didn't know this, so I'm now waiting on a screw and spring washer to be delivered. Bah!

Oh, and it's also not FDE regardless of what the advert said on FleaBay: it's desert tan, so I'm going to end up with a piebald gun. Wish I'd just opted for the black version now, to match the magazine. Double bah!

9. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

There's a nice under lever Mauser (if'n that's your thang) in one of this months magazines.

Edit: reading back it's the Diana you posted.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2016
  10. Gareth Halfacree

Yeah, I'd still like one but only if I could de-tune it to 6ft/lb - which, given it's designed for shooting around the 18ft/lb mark would probably not be a pleasant shooting experience.

I got the replacement bolt for the pistol grip on the Sig: looks like Sig's chosen to ignore AR standards, 'cos it doesn't fit. So, sod trying to find a screw that will fit: I whipped out a flat bit and ground the sticky-outy-bit inside the pistol grip down flat so it fits with the stock screw. Hooray!

[​IMG]

Still kicking myself for ordering the 'FDE' grip that turned out to be desert tan, 'cos I think the black would have looked nicer, but it certainly *feels* better than the stock grip. I've also stuck a small Weaver rail on the lower-front of the Keymod rail, 'cos I found a dirt-cheap torch and laser combo on AliExpress I couldn't resist sticking on there (though it hasn't arrived yet). I'll probably take that off when I go to the range, though: it looks tacticool enough without, and I'll undoubtedly get plenty of stick for that!

Last edited: 15 Jun 2016
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Gun light and laser arrived... and it's black. Clearly says so on the outer box, too, the bleedin' idiots. Raised a dispute with AliExpress, so we'll see if the seller replaces it without fuss. Fingers crossed.

12. Gareth Halfacree

ARISE FROM YOUR SLUMBER, THREAD!

Haven't been back to the range since my second kid came along, but I'm hoping that'll change in the near future - and with some cash from the latest book coming my way, figured it was time to Treat Myself 2017. So, looking for assistance with choosing a 10m ISSF-style target pistol. My shortlist at present:

[​IMG]
    Baikal MP-46, the cheapest at £275.99. Guy at the club has one and sings its praises, and the paddle-style charging handle is neat. Not sure about that bizarre front sight, though.

[​IMG]
    Morini Air Match Model 600. Slightly dearer at £295 second-hand, so you've also got the issue of unknown provenance and it may need a good clean and re-seal to get it shooting at its best. Like the look of it, though.

[​IMG]
    Chiappa FAS 6004 with large target grip. The most expensive by far at £406.99, but the one I'd always had my eye on previously for 10m target purposes.

Naturally, what I'd really like is a five-shot Steyer PCP with electronic trigger, but £1,600 might be a liiiiitle too rich for my blood...

Thoughts? Alternatives, for anyone with first-hand experience of a decent yet affordable 10m pistol?

13. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

[​IMG]

Drulov DU-10 Condor - 5 shot semi auto, CO2 powered but don't let that put you off as it uses a neat little idea to regulate the CO2 pressures better. You put the capsule in backwards and the bottom cap pieces it allowing the gas to flow out and into the chamber that holds the capsule. This means that you are not using the gas directly but after it has expanded a little and sat in the grip.

They are incredibly straightforward and simple pistols, I can have one stripped in a couple of minutes, 2 screws and the grip nut and you have it in 4 pieces ready for adjustment and cleaning.

The magazine is in line with the barrel which means that you can take the bolt out and run a cleaning rod or patch straight through it.

The striker is a weird one as it is a rod that moves backwards before being reset by a small portion of the gas in the block. They can be a wee bit touchy about the trigger adjustment and setup, I have had them go full auto on me before where all 5 shots go in a fraction of a second, but a bit of tweaking sorts that (and is very easy to do).

A far as I can remember, they run at about £200 to £250 second hand with the cased (either soft case as shown in that picture or hard cases) and accessorized versions being a little more expensive.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Almost impossible to find these days, and I'm really not looking for CO2 'cos I'll be shooting it in a tin shed which is boiling in summer and freezing in winter (meaning the pressure will vary wildly, clever regulation or no clever regulation.)

Don't get me wrong, if I could find one for £200 I'd snap it up just 'cos it's a lovely thing, but if I'm buying specifically for 10m competition use then CO2 makes it a no-go.

15. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

S&W Model 60 3" in .357 magnum at 10 yards.

[​IMG]

16. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

[​IMG]

This is what I had

[​IMG]

And this is what I did. 3+2 rounds standing up at 50 meters in ~3 C crosswind without doing anything with the sights. Rarely had my fingers freeze so badly.

Would be nice to shoot more, but it's just too damn expensive and difficult over here.

Last edited: 4 Jun 2017
  17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've been looking at air guns today. There's a lovely Smith And Wesson pistol and a Sig Sauer both under a ton.

Am I right in assuming they cannot be shipped right? and I have to either go to the gun shop in person or pay the person to hand deliver it?

I know this probably isn't appropriate but do they have actual stopping power? I had a BB gun years ago that took CO2 and you could literally shoot a clean hole through front and back of a beer can (full). I considered that it wouldn't be very nice to get one in the eye...

18. Gareth Halfacree

Moved your post from the Airsoft thread to the Shooting thread, 'cos air weapons aren't airsoft.
    Yup: VCRA requires that all air weapon purchases (except private sales) are made in-person with a Registered Firearms Dealer and that your details including name and address are entered into a register (it sounds a lot posher than it is: the bloke in the shop writes your name down in a book he keeps under the counter.)

There are a couple of companies, like Pellpax, which get around the VCRA by registering their delivery drivers as Registered Firearms Dealers - thus when they hand the gun to you at your house they're doing the sale 'in person' - but expect prices to be 20-30% higher than somewhere like Sportsmans Gun Centre that doesn't do that.

Easiest thing to do is find your local RFD and ask 'em to order in whatever you want. If, for some reason, they can't, you can order from any website and have it delivered to your RFD then go and pick it up, but they'll charge you £20-30 for the privilege as a handling fee.

Pistols are sub-6ft/lbs by law - easily enough to punch a hole in a beer can, and enough for short-range pest control on rats and the like. Rifles are sub-12ft/lbs without a licence, and that's enough power to take a rabbit or magpie at up to 30 yards humanely.

Airsoft guns, on the other hand, are designed such that if you shoot yourself at point-blank range you'll have nothing other than a bruise and a sense of stupidity to show for it - hence moving your post out of the airsoft thread.

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah sorry man I forgot there were two threads. I also forgot that Airsoft were those things that fire the little rubber balls.

I might have to pop down there at some point. It's very local, so the bike should suffice.

20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The muzzle energy of CO2 guns is generally pretty low, around 2-3fpe. A pistol with real "stopping power" will be either a spring gun or pump/pneumatic ram pistol, but I wouldn't consider 6fpe to be stopping power by any means. Yes, it can do damage to a beer can, but I'd prefer to use a rifle on live quarry.

I used to own an Umarex Walther CP99 CO2 pistol and because it was in .177 it had great penetrative power (putting holes in wood), but it was still pretty weak in terms of actual muzzle energy. Decide what it is you want to do - short or long range shooting, and low or high powered. That'll help you decide what to get. :)