1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GOG.com launches Steam Connect service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Jun 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

I wish they would let me put The Witcher 3 on Steam. I got it when it was released (from GMG) but haven't played it because I didn't realize it was a GOG key, not a Steam key. Considered rebuying it on Steam recently but i've already lost enough interest that it is a very unappealing option.

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Just use GOG Galaxy client and download it through that?

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Why can't you just play it without using steam?

5. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Tried it, out of 58 GOG games and 130-ish Steam games there are no matches.

6. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

It says 7 of mine are available to be put on Steam but the silly thing is, all those games already came with Steam keys and were already added long ago. I guess if your Steam keys were revoked for some unknown reason it would make sense.

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I thought this gave you GOG copies of certain games, wouldn't give you any steam keys?

8. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Oh ok i see what I did there. It is opposite of what I thought. I thought it let you add GOG games to Steam. It is putting Steam games on GOG.

It says I have 7 games but I had to check my GOG library and I have none of those games there so I was very confused. My bad folks.

Anyway GOG Galaxy needs a few more features before I can use it. A working backup/restore that didn't require me to download the game twice is the first. The second is download bandwidth control. Since the first post I installed The Witcher 3 and there is no option to back it up. All guides on the subject says it is but it isn't. The only option for backup is to download another 30GB of installers. The bandwidth control is one of the most requested features but still no sign of it being implemented.

Last edited: 2 Jun 2016
  9. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I'd not let that stop me from enjoying a game like TW3.

All of the major game clients, including Origin and Uplay are at varying states of function, with some of those features being better than Steam and others being worse. Sadly, having to use these clients is a standard part of most PC games now, like it or not.

Steams backup system exists true but is very poor, for a start it's slow, secondly, in the era of multi gig patches and DLC, any backups you make are made invalid fairy rapidly and steams backup system does not even prompt you to update or even automatically update those backups. It's all very manual.

Frankly it is also nice to have DRM free games managed by a client to keep the games updated, rather than a DRM platform (steam) that also allows secondary DRM (ever lost connection to relics servers while playing COH 2, even if your general connection to the internet/steam was not lost for example?), I can play TW3 and other GOG games independent of a working net connection. Less eggs in the same basket if you will.

GoG connect is a nice addition feature, given it's free and is effectively giving you free copies of games you already own, minus the DRM... should anyone wish to take advantage of it.

10. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I logged in a couple days ago and there was this new thing by those lovely, lovely people at CDProjekt/GOG. I think this is a brilliant idea! I'm not sure how GOG juggle the costs and the developers, but I love it!

Sadly I only had 3 games out of the current 20, but I'm still chuffed at the thought and the gesture (and the number will grow and grow). This company are putting the whole industry to shame time and again, AND making a profit while they do it! When will everyone else catch on that treating your userbase like you actually value them is a GOOD idea? This company can have my E-babies anyday! ;D

Just as a note I've had Galaxy installed for months and months and not had a single problem. I really don't see the need to hold off on installing it.