1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Huel

Discussion in 'General' started by Pookie, 4 Jun 2016.

1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

So anyone tried Huel or using it? Thinking about giving it a whirl :)

2. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Not tried it, But have seen a few people who do use them and they all love them (maybe not the best taste on some verieties) but the fact you can get whatever macro balance you want is always a good thing.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

What is it?

4. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

its a meal replacement powder,

Quote from their website

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Okay right, I live on Fortisip as following a series of mistakes and delays from my medical team when I had cancer 7 years ago as I can no longer swallow solid food. Fortisip is in liquid form I might add and tastes disgusting.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

7. Pookie

Here is the website Glenn, I have decided to get some and give it a try. I will start with replacing breakfast and go from there.

https://huel.com/

8. Kalcifer

Kalcifer If you want change, start with yourself.

I've tried it, but just be aware, while you can survive on it, it is high in Carbohydrates. Can't really say that it is a 'balanced' diet...

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I really can't understand why, if you have no dificulties eating solid food, you would want to survive on powder mixed with water.

10. Pookie

Ultimately my aim is to use Huel to help with losing weight :)

11. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

My father-in-law was on Fortisips for the last couple of weeks before he died. He hated them as well - he said that the orange one tasted of turnip. I didn't believe him, so had a sip - and bugger me if he wasn't right ;)

As for huel as a way of losing weight, I don't think it's a sustainable solution to weight loss. It's better to learn healthy eating and keep at it rather than use something like huel and go back to your old ways when you've reached your target weight.

It's also quite high in potassium and calcium, so I don't think it would be a good long-term option.

12. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

get your own tailored for you, then simply buy the ingredients and assemble yourself, saving a ton of money vs huel https://www.soylent.com/

13. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I read the quote from their website and immediately thought of the matrix...

Ian

14. james-milligan

james-milligan Minimodder

I'm using Huel! Personally I find it really tasty. Only tried the vanilla one but it tastes like a wholesome vanilla thickshake to me. Usually just have it for one meal a day but might try 2 meals (probably breakfast and lunch) in the future.

I like how easy it is. Probably not the cheapest option to feed oneself, but theoretically nutritionally complete and... just add water!

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Sometimes I think about using these meal replacement drinks so I don't have to cook. I like to cook when I've time, but if I've been working all day its the last thing I want to do, and the clean up is even less appealing. I saw a video on Soylent (not the green one) and they had rats running around where they mixed the powder. They've probably improved things since then, but yeah, I'd give them a miss. If they were happy to sell it like that starting off, I doubt a rodent incident would stop them putting out a batch these days either.

Chilling the vanilla one, and drinking it quickly can make it more tolerable. The colder a food is the less pronounced the flavour tends to be for whatever reason.

16. james-milligan

james-milligan Minimodder

Yeah, I enjoy cooking sometimes too. Good thing with these powdered foods is they don't really go off so sometimes it's good just to have it there if you want it, but you don't have to worry about using it up.

Don't think I'm too keen on 'essence of rat' as an ingredient in my Huel :(

17. theshadow2001

Just to be clear when I mentioned rats I was referring to Soylent and not Huel. I had no knowledge about Huel until I saw this thread.

18. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I bought huel... iPad autocorrected to hurl but that's not how I feel about it. So far so good. Going 75% huel with main dinner being whatever I want.

Ian

19. theshadow2001

What does it taste and....feel like I suppose.

20. Pookie

The V2.0 has an unpleasant artificial sweetener taste to me, I also get really eggy farts with it :sigh: