1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit-Tech Brexit Poll

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Pookie, 8 Jun 2016.

?

Should we be EU members?

1. In

74 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. Out

75 vote(s)
    45.7%
  3. Shake it all about

15 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No, it's real actually. The black-and-white Nazi propaganda film was recently shown on the BBC series Auschwitz: The Nazis and the Final Solution. Hence the English subtitles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Probably where Farrage got his inspiration. :p

Oh, and:

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Ok, that explains the modern overlays then

3. Nexxo

Yup. Now the similarities with Farage's poster are striking. What is the chance that a Nazi propaganda film that was recently shown on the BBC would happen to resemble a photo of refugees used on a UKIP campaign poster?

I was only half joking when I said that Nigel Farage got his inspiration from the BBC programme. I think that he actually did. Which tells me that he found the Nazi film appealing. he found it a compelling argument and wanted to replicate it. A nice little glimpse into that man's soul.

4. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

You can throw in the towel now, Leave Campaign - the decisive blow has been dealt...

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Wait - is Skeletor on board as well? You know Beckham's opinion counts for nothing, unless he checked with her first.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

It kind of explains why Merkel took so many refugees into Germany.

7. Risky

Risky Modder

I have voted remain. I can find much fault with the EU can work at times, but I'd rather Britain was in, trying to change it that out having to live with it anyway.

8. Nexxo

I agree; Germany is still very aware of its history.

I also think there may be a personal twist to this: you may remember when at a public forum Merkel was confronted by an eloquent 14-year old Palestinian girl crying about her family's possible impending deportation after four years of living in Germany. Merkel tried to handle this difficult situation admirably (regardless of what the critics said, she was damned if she caved in and damned if she stayed tough) but it must have been a soul-searching moment for her.

But what was she to do? If she tries to be human and invites refugees into Germany she gets lambasted as an irresponsible softie; if she turns little refugee girls away she is a hard-faced bitch. It's tough making tough decisions...

As the New Yorker wrote about this incident:

People often don't consider the human factor. They want doctors and nurses to be compassionate carers, but also to resolutely turn away injured and sick illegals when they present at A&E. They want the coast guard to be brave and heroic, but also to leave illegals to drown in their dinghies on the North Sea. They want politicians to care about people --but it has to be the right people, natch. Our people, screw the rest.

You can't have those contradictory psychological stances in a healthy, functional human being. Only sociopaths can split and encapsulate like that. That's the sucky thing about all these refugee crises: we stare into the abyss, and the abyss stares right back at us.

9. walle

walle Minimodder

Merkel together with the European Commission took a suicidal decision – to be kind, a spasm of irrationality - which will forever change the very fabric of German society and culture, by extension all of Europe since Germany is the heart of the continent. German history played no part in her decision anymore than meeting a 14 year old Palestinian girl, women are quick to emotion but there are limits even for them.

To call this a breach of trust and abusive of office would be an understatement, a betrayal of he German nation.

In any case.
    Political policies should never be based on feeling good but on doing good, regardless of what polices are being made.

Ninja edit.
    That's what government is hired for, to first and foremost look after the best interest of the nation, that is its job, what the trust agreement is based on. You may not like it Nexxo, but that's what it all comes down too.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2016
  10. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Embarrassing moment for Gove - John Barnes denied supporting leave, he's for remain. Leave is in short supply of celebrities, still they can always count on Mike Read.

11. walle

walle Minimodder

With the celebrity worship being what it is these days I'm sure the remain camp will boost its numbers, the leave camp could achieve the same if they could get some celebrities on board. It wont matter much what these celebrities say since most worshipers wont listen anyway, they just see their idol backing either leave or remain side and that's all they'll need to be swayed in either direction. It's what they will base their entire decision on.

Our Western civilization is great in many ways but the celebrity thingy is most definitely not its greatest achievement.

12. Nexxo

Apart from that for some people, "our people" does not necessarily include all citizens of their nation, how has nationalism and pure self-interest worked out for us in history?

13. tiger-moth

tiger-moth What's a Dremel?

Nor on the ballot paper - I suspect they'd do quite well.

I'm voting Remain.

I've yet to find a single rational argument from the leave camp. I'm sure there must be some.
    But on the whole they seem to prefer lies and xenophobic, emotive rants.
    The atmosphere on their FB page was extremely poisonous.

14. walle

walle Minimodder

It's been the source of the rich cultural diversity the Europeans have enjoyed over the centuries and its' been instrumental in spurring innovations, artists, scientists, engineers, philosophers and explorers etc.

Sure there's been low points and you can judge the entire continent and culture on its lowest points in history - rather than its highest points – and when you do make sure to apply the same approach to other continents and cultures, as well as look at where we are today.

All things considered I would say that it has served us rather well.

15. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Who the hell is Barnes anyway. lol

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Do you and i have different understandings of what nationalism is? My understanding is that nationalism is the diametric opposite of what you describe, it's defiantly not a source of rich cultural diversity.

17. walle

walle Minimodder

Nationalism celebrates the nation, its culture, its history and looks after the best interest of the nation. Celebrating your culture assures both diversity and strong cultural identity, it's definitely a source of rich cultural diversity when sovereign nation states express it on a continental scale, and yes it's been instrumental in spurring innovations, artists, scientists, engineers, philosophers and explorers etc, in part also because of competition.

Ninja edit.
    Nationalism is based in the nation, national identity, that's not always the case with patriotism, though often times the lines are blurred.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2016
  18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry you initially said "It's been the source of the rich cultural diversity", now you seem to have changed that to "strong cultural identity" what one is it?

Are you getting patriotism and nationalism confused as what you seem to be describing is patriotism, nationalism is the extreme form of patriotism marked by a feeling of superiority over other countries, something you seem to be contradicting with your claim of diversity.

19. walle

walle Minimodder

Missed this one, I have no idea.

20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Almost two weeks since I voted in this poll and I just realised I ticked the wrong box LOL. :lol:

So it should actually be 74-35. WHOOPS. :D