1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Logical move. He doesn't want to be responsible for handling this cluster****. Perhaps Boris Johnson can take over and he can make all the difficult decisions and manage the complexities of the renegotiation with the EU, and when it all turns out to be a lot more complicated than people thought it was they can't turn around and accuse him of deliberate sabotage or not trying hard enough because his heart isn't in it.

Looks like Cameron has the last laugh.

Osborne will no doubt follow.

2. StingLikeABee

StingLikeABee What's a Dremel?

Corky, I'll show respect when you earn it son, and not before. Now as I said, are you suggesting that the initial knee jerk reaction to the outcome is proof for the long term picture for the UK?

You're forgetting one little detail too, I happen to believe the UK can prosper outside of the EU so why should I not be celebrating.

3. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

[If you voted out, don't read the below, you're not going to get anything valuable from this.]
    [In fact, no one read this rambling post, I just needed a place to vent...]

Just heard the news and I'm actually shocked to be honest.
    Another win for populism, egocentrism and short-sightedness. We live in an age where people can use the internet to educate themselves about anything, but simply choose not to. Instead elections are won by charismatic politicians, vague, meaningless slogans ("sinking ship!!! sinking ship!!!1"), obvious lies and promises that can't possibly be fulfilled. I honestly don't think things will change significantly, since the UK will just stay in the EEA, get nothing of what they want and sugar-coat it to make it seem like a big victory, but the fact that such an important vote actually ended up this way boggles my mind.

Feel free to call me bitter, antidemocratic or overly dramatic if you want, but this resurgence of populism and the far right all over the western world are not good news. The success in this referendum is fuel for their fire and I hope things will not escalate.
    If Trump ends up becoming president now, I'm making a bunker and donating to Mars colonisation research. People are starting to lose their minds.

TL;DR:
    [​IMG]

Well, at least we won't be missing our Scottish friends for very long.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2016
  4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Lol. That was exactly my thought.

5. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Im still in shock, I really didn't think it would happen. But the people have spoken, hold on to your hats going to be turbulent 10 years.

My honest concern is going to be when us non English British are going to become the problem.

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The joke is that clearly some want to have the cake and eat it too. You want to leave EU. Sure. But what part of EU ? Schengen, Euro - UK was never part of those. EU parliament, EU commision ? Sure, why not.

EEA (European Economic Area) ? That would have devastating effects for many parts of UK economy. And if you don't leave EEA, then the joke is on you. Being a member of EEA, but not being a member of EU means the following (it is exactly what Norway does) :
    - has to implement EU regulations as EU created them.
    - has no saying in decision process about those EU regulations.
    - has to pay in EU budget (yup, Norway pays to EU budget).

So in the end, leaving EU, but not leaving EEA means you are in same position as before leaving EU, except now you have no saying in any of the decision making process.

7. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

this is going to create a huge amount of work that has to be processed to do this change, the amount of work this is going to create is going to be huge, just the legal work is going to be surely hundreds of millions of pounds a year whilst this transition is in progress.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yup, but that is what will happen. Economic pragmatism in government and big business will win out over the uninformed and disparate ideologies of the least empowered part of the electorate. The UK will just end up in the EEA as plans for further separation get kicked into the long grass. It's not like ordinary people will know the difference and besides, they soon will have other things to worry about.

9. StingLikeABee

I'm an opponent of the freedom of movement, but I'm not anti immigration. All I want is a fair and just immigration policy. One that benefits British society as a whole, not just corporations, the wealthy and certainly one which doesn't decimate communities like my own. If someone wants to come into the UK to work, have enough money to support themselves and their families when coming here, adhere to the laws of the land and respect the communities they live in then that is brilliant. Anything less and it's wrong. As a member of the EU we were never going to get that. Cameron claimed he had secured a deal if we remained that economic migrants would not be able to claim benefits for 4 years. I didn't believe him then and I still don't now. It would have been vetoed or watered down again to the point it had as much value as a piece of second hand toilet roll.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm not you son and I've show you nothing but respect, how about you extend the same courtesy.

What you're calling a knee jerk reaction is nothing of the sorts, it is the long term picture for the UK as can be seen by us losing our AAA credit rating, something that means we're now paying more interest on that massive debt we have.

I'm not saying you shouldn't personally be celebrating, I'm asking you to show some respect for the 48% of people that don't share your vision, to show some respect for the real peoples lives that 48% of the people believe are going to be adversely effected by the outcome.

And also to show some respect to the 61% of fellow forum goers who don't share this vision you have that everything's going to be OK.

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I can hope that the financial reaction to the vote is enough for them to say 'look at what's happening already. Maybe this isn't a good idea'. Only there's very little maybe about. In my opinion anyway.

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Off to Ireland we go! Perhaps.

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Emotions are going to run high this morning in this thread. That is fine, and natural, but respect your fellow Bit Techers or prepare for Bitexit.

14. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

And we aren't going to get it now. We've had plenty of opportunities to introduce a system like that in relation to non-EU immigrants, but have not done so. We've were able to take more control over EU immigration, but did not done so. What makes you think that anything will change now? Do you think we'll leave the single market? If not, we're still going to have to deal with freedom of movement, but this time it will be without any ability to participate in any ongoing discussions or get special deals to not pay benefits to people.

15. StingLikeABee

Like I was shown respect here for daring to openly say I was voting out, no chance. If they voted remain then that was their choice, don't expect me to be holding the tissues for them. Our community and the many others like it and their decimation was ignored by the very same people who voted and argued for remain. Not one ounce of pity have I for them. I have family who I love and worry about too, so don't try making me out to be some sort of idiot who doesn't care, I happen to love my country and I care deeply about what happens to it.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You know before this i had a lot of respect for you, i thought you made some good points and you argued your position well in this thread previously, although i didn't agree with your decision i respected it and you, and i thought some people treated you rather harshly.

Recently though you've show the respect i had for you was misplaced, not only in this thread but others you seem to show very little respect or compassion for others, you've shown i was wrong for believing you seemed like a decent person whose been treated unfairly.

17. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Got taken in to a room today and told that if markets do not show sign of decent recovery by next week, I will essentially be out of a job.

Cheers, Leavers

18. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

10? More like 25.

Trade agreement negotiations with the EU are measured in decades, not months and years. In the mean time I fully expect Germany and France to make every effort to punish us for this they possibly can to discourage other countries from doing the same.

On a more immediate note, everything's about to get a lot more expensive, Sterling dropped 8% this morning, it didn't drop that much in 2008.

On a minor positive it's the end of Cameron, would it be too much to ask for Osbourne and Corbyn to go as well? All three of them completely dropped the ball on this one.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2016
  19. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Genuinely shocked, glad my PhD is flexible in terms of work hours as I ended up watching the BBC stuff this morning (also that mine personally is not funded by the EU, phew).

Kind of wanting the Scots to vote out and to make it work so I can move there.

Also loved the yougov poll on the types of voters from yesterday...

20. StingLikeABee

To be brutally honest I dont care. I got sick of it and the attitudes here. I do care about my family, my country and my community. That's the long and short of it really. Also, to continue being brutally honest, if people lose their jobs, I feel for them but I won't apologise or feel guilt for the way I voted. Something had to give in terms of the EU, we couldn't get the reforms we needed as members so time to start a new chapter in the history books as far as I'm concerned.

We were begging for help as a community, other communities were too, and what did we get from those who were intentionally oblivious to the problems? Ignored and shunned, called xenophobes, racists and bigots. Maybe next time they should try listening and empathising with those who were and are suffering. Not one ounce of guilt or regret.