1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

the Scots wanted to stay in by a massive percentage and are understandably pissed at the UK for making them leave unwillingly.
    So they are calling for a new referendum which is all but certain now as said in a speech by the SNP leader. Then when they get there Independence which i believe they will as it only lost by a small amount last time and now they will get all the votes from people that want to get back into the EU.

I think it will be a easy win. obviously there will be difficulties along the way but i have much more faith in the SNP than i do a right wing Tory government led by a buffoon.

That said we will be saving for about 2 years before we can do anything and we can see how all this pans out in the meantime.

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Well, that is the major point you make here. Scotland rejected independence because they would have to leave EU, and they didn't want that. Now England & Wales decided they take Scotland out of EU anyway.

3. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

That's probably the reason the SNP are calling for one so quickly - they know it's unlikely to happen any time soon.

If they got a re-referendum now they would be in great danger of losing since a good amount of support for the last one was based on the oil & gas revenue, which has since sunk like a stone and is an industry currently shedding jobs (and will continue to do so for a while yet). There is also the danger of a public that will now feel very jaded towards referendums.

However, the overriding priority for the SNP is independence so I think EU membership will come a very far second for them. For now, they will be happy pretending they want a vote now but thinking of the longer term when the oil & gas industry has recovered and the effects of the UK leaving the EU are being felt (they will be hoping it all coincides).

Just my thoughts anyway...

EDIT: faugusztin & Otis - the EU was only one factor in the independence debate, there was a lot more to it than one potential issue.

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Please could we rein in the accusations of racism? Ta. It's not cool.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

junckers has called for Article 50 to start next week , which would mean Scotland have 2 years for there referendum only

6. faugusztin

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Doesn't surprise me, they're eager to kick us out of the door now that we've announced that we're going to leave, if only to remove our influence from the rest of the EU decision making.

Two years is an incredibly short time to draft that many agreements, trade deals and other technicalities, though, this is probably an attempt to push us out to sea and wave as we sink.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The asshole in me wants them to forcibly start our exit. I want to see what the Leave camp can pull out of its arse in the two years.

The rest of me wants to wake up now.

9. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

I commend you for staying the distance and will say thanks for your part, and to everyone else who made the effort to post for the leave side.

The left-wing mangina brigade have no serious argument to counter the policy of having a controlled immigration system, this rule applies for most of their insane "ideals" incidentally. So the only political strategy they have is to shout racist, bigot or xenophobe at every opportunity. Labelling people "little Englander" or using political correctness to narrow the debate and shut down conversations. Even using the alleged and conveniently timed death of an MP as a political tool to hammer home the campaign. It is truly sickening in my book. This kind of undertone is being pushed by all the corporate media on a regular basis. Even the social-ist media sites have a left-wing bias and are now censoring content that does not fit with their narrative.

I just sat back and let common sense prevail over what has largely boiled down to a campaign of "fear" in my opinion. A fear of leaving mummies apron strings for those who have not been impacted by the last few decades of EU rule, against those that have been directly impacted and see no other option other than breaking free.

Anyways..... I would just like to thank the three people who I think have had a massive help in the Leave Camp taking back democracy over dictatorship. There was so many "****tards" it was really hard to choose......

Bob Geldof

Eddie Izzard

Barry O'b

One last thought.... to all the self appointed financial analysts in here..... if the economy does crash, it will be at the hands of the likes of George Soros and the Zionist Freemasons, not the British people who voted out! :nono:

10. liratheal

I've still not seen a financial plan from the Leave campaign, Moose.

I don't give a hoot about anything but not having to fight for my financial life, and Leave has provided precisely zero offerings as to what it planned to do (If it planned anything at all?).

I don't think it's racist to vote out, I think a lot of racists voted out, but you're not racist for voting out.

You're short sighted and incredibly irrational, in my less than humble opinion, but not racist.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It seems some people have already expressed regrets over their vote.
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/i-really-regret-my-vote-now-the-brexit-voters-who-wish-theyd-voted-to-remain-a3280361.html
    Google search spike suggests many people don't know why they voted for Brexit
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3657997/Britain-s-Google-searches-hint-people-didn-t-know-voting-for.html
    Man who voted for Leave says he thought his vote ‘wouldn’t count’ and is now ‘worried’
    http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/man-who-voted-for-leave-says-he-thought-his-vote-wouldnt-count-wins-moron-of-the-year-award-5964450/
    I'm not sure what to say TBH, i guess in a way it shows how much some politicians have let the public down, if you're going to cast a vote should you be aware of the possible consequences, if you should whose responsible for you not knowing.

They say democracy needs a well informed and educated electorate but if people regret how they voted does that mean they weren't well informed and educated? If so whose responsible for that, politicians, the media, themselves?

12. Valo

Valo Minimodder

From a foreigner's perspective, leave voters deserve to be called little Englanders.

You have voted to completely abandoned the biggest solidarity project in human history
    You have voted to exclude yourself from the biggest free trade and free movement project in history

The most confusing and offensive thing is the self importance that is carried with this vote. You want out of the EU yet implicitly believe that the EU will want to agree on favorable trade agreements

And that is mainly because you didn't want immigrants from other EU countries within your borders

Please, get real. If it wasn't for my job here, I'd probably be booking packing up my car and driving somewhere that has people more willing to work together and cooperate. England is clearly not such a place which you've proven in the referendum

It really doesn't take a PHD to see through Farage's 'Free £350 mil/week for NHS' campaign. You guys have clearly failed yourselves and, as someone else mentioned on this forum, EU will happily watch you sink and wave goodbye

Pliqu3011 likes this.
  13. liratheal

The public let the public down. Politicians did what politicians always do.

It's our job to educate ourselves and take everything a politician - A professional liar - says with a good helping of salt.

You'd think we'd have learned after Tony Blair getting us involved in that Afghanistan/Iraq nonsense, but apparently not.

Edit:

That's what angers me the most about this whole fiasco. Leave voters seem embroiled in the idea that England in 2016 is England of 1816, which it absolutely is not. As evidenced by the people espousing the 'Leave' campaign suddenly saying "Well hold on there, I don't want to do it (Gove)" or "Let's not be too hasty, eh chaps? (Johnson)" or admitting that some, if not all, the financial guff was just that - Guff.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The thing is firstly you have to agree or disagree that immigration itself is a problem, maybe once you can establish that you can talk out what to do about it, basically you first have to identify if the 'problem' is an actual 'problem' and not just a perception.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2016
  15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I wish people would stop conflating "the UK" with "England". It really grinds my gears. The majority of voters in Wales chose Brexit, and it was relatively close in Northern Ireland. Finally, over 1 million Scots voted for Brexit too, so it's not an "English" problem, it's a UK problem.

16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

17. liratheal

18. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The EU can't force the UK to do so, but it's an interesting ploy: the new PM (Boris Johnson?) can now make out that not triggering Article 50 is an act of defiance against the EU. :p

I think this is going to end like Switzerland's referendum on ending free movement; two years later and they are still thinking about invoking it. Ain't going to happen.

20. faugusztin

Sure. But if you were listening to the news, then you also know the improved deal Cameron got for UK is also now considered null and void.