1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Here's another thing that is funny, or would be if it was not so tragic:

Remember Nigel Farage saying: "Most of you have never done a proper job in your life...", and the facepalm his little speech received?

[​IMG]

The man facepalming in the background is Lithuanian EU commissioner Vytenis Andriukaitis, who was born in a Soviet gulag on the edge of the Arctic Ocean and started his political career with the underground Social Democrat movement. The 64-year-old worked as a cardiac surgeon for six years and took part in the first heart transplant operation in his country’s history before moving into politics.

Not a proper job then.

Farage's little rant did much to reassure me however. Before I considered him politically dangerous, but now I think he is essentially weak and insecure. He is a good rebel rouser, but he has no leadership ability whatsoever. He has no vision, no ability to think beyond his own fragile ego. If the Conservatives were determined to shut him out of the renegotiation process, they will be twice as determined now. Even UKIP's only MP has regularly expressed his dissatisfaction with him, and again was much displeased with his performance in the EU.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2016
    Risky likes this.
  2. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I'll forgive him his sweeping statement. I watched his EU Parliament speech live and the expressions on the ladies' face behind him were great. It was a little funny in parts. A little scathing in others. A little over the top. If he was to ever take the reigns of the UK, the EU would totally get revenge on us (him).

Sweeping statements like his, and "the leave voters are racists" don't get politics very far.

3. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I've watched this video, he really spat at the face of the assembly : / If I was in his shoes, If I had won a battle that all of Europe & nearly half my country didn't wanted me to win, I'd try to be humble in victory and to be as smooth as possible... He is clearly not doing this.

4. Nexxo

I don't. This man is a pathetic joke of a human being and a politician.

This is supposed to be a representative of Great Britain and an aspiring leader of the country. At this, a historic occasion of enormous portent, one that quite possibly will be taught in history lessons in the future, he has a unique opportunity here for an impassioned and eloquent speech spelling out Britain's concerns with where the EU is going and Britain's place in it, to get the EU to thoughtfully reflect on the political course it is taking and to describe an inspiring vision for an alternative future that other Eurosceptic nations can get behind, because alliance building is good, right? Especially if you want to negotiate a new and favourable economic relationship in Europe.

It could have been one of those speeches that defines political history if not changes its course. It could have been a speech that not just calms the markets but inspires investment, showing that Britain does know what it is doing and is going forward into the world, not retreating into its own little backward parish. It could have been a speech that shows Britain as a visionary leader in the world. It could have been a speech to make British people proud to be British.

But what do we get? The "All About Nigel" show; a small-minded man painfully revealing his inferiority complex (trust me, as a psychologist it was interesting to watch) and having his petty little moment of personal triumph as he insults those the UK seeks constructive negotiations with. He can't put his ego on hold and think of his country first. He can't reach past his own little life and see a grander vision of Britain in the world. He is a little boy having his petty revenge for feeling laughed at at school while actually school barely ever noticed he was there.

And in having his little psychodrama he underlines yet again how Britain just doesn't buy into the ideology of a united Europe and was just always in it for itself, like the unpleasant family member who shows up at parties only to get drunk on the free beer and eat all the free food; how it is a backward nation that has caused an economical crisis for itself and the EU, and a constitutional crisis at home because of its selfishness and egocentrism. And it can't even do the decent thing and leave the party politely and without more self-centered drama. Seriously, who is going to want to build alliances with a country like that?

He was served his once in a lifetime moment in history, something he had worked towards for 17 years, where he could really make a difference for his country and he blew it so spectacularly that I simply have no words. He might as well had a public **** in the middle of the room, it had the same effect. In six months he will be a funny anecdote at a EU New Year's party and the year after he will have been forgotten.

Make no mistake, this has left a bad taste in the mouth of his party members. His political career is over.

5. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

can some one post a link to the speech / video, it can be embedded simply enough with the tag button at the top then just remove every thing but the link code at the end, so after = etc

6. TheBlackSwordsMan

7. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

thanks enjoyed that, interesting, forwarded the link on to a few.

Question:
    What are the chances that Britain can "go and make its way in the global markets" like he is saying.

Could Britain do "better", out side of the EU? all we have is financial services to sell from the city is my learning, ok we manufacture a few cars but that's not going to sustain a nation.

This is a really interesting moment in political and British history to be living through, you know this is really epic that hopefully most of us here will get to live through this and see what happens over the next 20 years, we cant do any thing to help it other than be good citizens / workers etc.

there is going to have to be an increase in the close working of upper Business, not sure what the description of that is, but if its a us vs them sort of environment then "we" really need to work closely together, politics, business.

I am try to learn about what all these means and so on, so could be nice if people find interesting resources like that video then go and head and post it here so we can follow along.

I do agree he should have been a little more humble there that was kind of un-necessary, its shock jock stuff?

Question:
    If Scotland breaks off from the UK, and keeps with the EU, wont that be a back door into Britain for the EU, or like wise if Scotland pairs up with the EU, wont that be a back door into the EU for us?

I was thinking to ask this because its kind of an obvious way for us to keep an open route to the EU?

Nexxo whats your take on that? Scotland breaking off from us "officially", but really we stay in bed with the scots and be able to get to the EU market by proxy? is that possible? Legal?

8. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Vytenis Andriukaitis tweeted this earlier: :hehe:

[​IMG]

I was watching the calamity unfold on a live stream on YouTube and it was fascinating to watch the reactions on the faces of the other MEP's. Farage really is far too similar to Alan Partridge for his own good.

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

To be fair there is very little advantage to learning a second language when you speak English natively. If you learn German what good is that if you go to Italy. If you learn Italian what use is that if you go to Spain.

English really is a common second language around the world mostly due to the influence of America.

If you spoke a different language natively then learning English would be a priority. It doesn't just guarantee you communication with Native English speakers but the rest of Europe as well.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2016
  11. TheBlackSwordsMan

You can give credit to the USA for a lot of things but "English language around the world" isn't one of them. The late British Empire is to be thanked for that.

12. Disequilibria

Disequilibria Minimodder

Also The best music, films and TV is largely in English.

Probably a big driving factor behind people, untouched by the empire, learning English as a second language.

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Certainly I speak English natively because of the British empire, but Americas cultural influence globally has been phenomenal. You'll find many non-native speakers using an American form of English rather than a British form, more so if they don't live and spend time in a British English speaking country. I'm not interested enough to spend time looking up which of us is more right though.

14. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I believe, personally, that the reason why you will hear a more American way of speaking English around the world is purely down to television. There are far more shows that come from America than those that come from England, and that's most likely where they pick it up from.

When I was back in Holland a few years ago, most of the English that I heard from them was spoken with an American orientated accent. It is taught as a second language, with the British spelling, but it comes out with an American accent. Strange, huh?

Also, the best show and bands definitely do not come from the UK. Some are good okay, but the USA has the UK beat, hands down. :D

15. TheBlackSwordsMan

Damn right. What do the UK has in the music department anyway ?The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, Queen, Black Sabbath, The Police, Genesis, Motorhead, The Beatles... :rolleyes:

note: I'll grant you the best show tho.

16. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Only a couple of those are on my 'I might listen to those' list, but it is a very opinionated thing anyway, as we all have our own tastes. :D

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

His speech wasn't directed at the politicians, he knew the cameras would be on him and took the opportunity to embolden Eurosceptic people across the EU with a rousing piece of propaganda, it's what Farage does.

That depends on how you want to define making your own way, if you left your current job for one that pays less money you'd probably still be making you way, you'd just have less money to spend.

I'm no soothsayer but i can't see how we'd do better, although I'd appreciate it if someone could explain otherwise, like you say a lot of what we depend upon are services, mainly financial, we're basically the European clearing house converting Euro's into dollars and by leaving Europe we risk those clearing houses (banks) moving those transactions back to a European country.

Just guessing but in the unlikely event that did happen we'd have to setup border controls between Scotland and England, think checkpoint charlie but manned by kilt wearing Scots with big swords patrolling the border trying to catch them Englishmen trying to sneak across at night. ;)

QFT. :thumb:
    I feel like the UK is a cow being led by the nose to the slaughter house.

18. Disequilibria

Disequilibria Minimodder

There fixed, your list now goes up to 11. :thumb:

aramil likes this.
  19. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

No. If Scotland leaves UK and joins EU, then they can't make a custom trade agreement with UK. Because it is a single market, the trade agreement needs to be made with the EU as whole. So no, Scotland wouldn't be a EU proxy for UK.

20. Nexxo

"The number of languages you speak is the number of times you are human" --Czech proverb

The advantage to learning a second language is to learn about differences in human communication, culture and other forms of expression; to learn about different perspectives and experiences. It opens your mind.

Anything that helps people communicate and understand each other better is a good thing.

And the most-spoken language in the world is Chinese. ;)