1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress AIO by FAT

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by FAT, 24 May 2016.

1. FAT

FAT What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

An urgent one for Computex!!!
    Not a normal case this time but the Gaming 27 6QE all in one from MSI :)
    Inside is a desktop i7-6700, GTX 980M and a Full HD touchscreen
    link:
    https://www.msi.com/All-in-One-PC/Gaming-27-6QE.html#hero-overview

Very exciting and challening because there is not much space inside and it all needs to be finished within 2 weeks....

[​IMG]

So quickly start cutting!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the plastic cover also with the help of Dave ;)

[​IMG]

Now you can see the hardware!

[​IMG]

Almost like a laptop but with a desktop i7-6700

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had to take off the foot because it was in the middle. In the next update we will make a new foot so he can stand up again :D

2. FAT

FAT What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Aaand another update!

Last update we cut open the back of the aio but also lost its foot……☺
    So we make a new one! This was a bit tricky as there is very limited space and you cant just drill a hole for a screw for example. The whole thing is also pretty heavy!

Luckily we had some steel lying around that has roughly the right shape already. Step one is cutting it in pieces:

[​IMG]

Folding the corners and edges

[​IMG]

This is the way it’ll be fixed to the frame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then we started cutting the first pieces with the lasercutter!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Small teaser ;)

3. FAT

FAT What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

In this update you will see the style of the mod. It has to go with the msi-gaming style with ofcourse the dragon. Pixel is always such a great help so we brought him with us to the workshop for the first time!
    He liked it but stayed very close with us ☺

[​IMG]

The ‘other’ half of the dragon cut out in red plexi:

[​IMG]

And if you then cover the transparent plexi with a textured black foil it will look like so!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty classy me thinks :hip:

4. FAT

FAT What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Aaaand another update!

The new stand needs a nice finish ofcourse, so we decided to cover the sides with skye leather:

[​IMG]

Cutting out the sidepieces

[​IMG]

En glueing on the leather

[​IMG]

In the meantime I installed some red LED’s from bitfenix. These are magnetic, best invention ever!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the very important finishing touches! :blush:

5. babydragon_64

babydragon_64 What's a Dremel?

Hi ha, the Rimmel dries mega quick !

6. FAT

FAT What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Another update!

First the result of the new base:

[​IMG]

And next the plexiglass details that go on the inside of AIO

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quick preview

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much more details in the next update!

7. FAT

FAT What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Last update before the final pictures!
    We wanted the outside of AIO to blend in with the inside details. To do that we cut out patterns of adhesive foil:
    First black textured foil

[​IMG]

And then details with white

[​IMG]

Also on the front where we couldn’t mod much because most of it is glass

[​IMG]

sneakpeak

[​IMG]

Cutting all of the foil made me dizzy....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And ofcourse the crate!!!! Very sturdy with a hinge for the lid. Hopefully it will protect the aio during all of its travels.

8. kim

kim hardware addict

I Really love all your builds and your impressive skills, as a modder and a silversmith as well...your worklogs are alsways pleasant and fun to follow, it's always great to see new threads from you on Bittech, now I noticed how pretty you are too...you are definitely the queen of modding...keep creating and thanks to share...

9. FAT

FAT What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Thank you very much! Great to hear you enjoy the buildlogs! I always hope people find them interesting enough to follow them until the final pictures :D !!! Love the title Queen of modding :blush:
    I will definitely keep creating and sharing :D !

Now the final pics!!!
    enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It arrived safely at Computex ☺
    Hope you like it!

10. kim

kim hardware addict

love it, it's so much sexyer compared to the original shape, and your design is far more agressive...I'm not fond of AIO computers generally but what you've done with it, propels it to an upper level...

11. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

Don't know...usually I like your mod a lot but to me this time your efforts haven't added much to the original case...The white accent for example seem like the stripes kid paste too their old bikes to make them look better...More than contrast the black they look really out of place. Also the stand had required a lot of work but the outcome is that know the pc seem one of the first AIO from twenty years ago. Sorry. Don't take it bad and send us more of your fine mods that I always liked. The hurry this time had take his toll...

12. FAT

FAT What's a Dremel?

Thanks I'm glad you like it :) !

I'm sorry to hear you don't like this mod! It is true that it had to be done in a hurry, and of course that always takes its toll.. luckily we're working on a lot of new cool projects, so I will upload them soon. Hope those can make up for this one ;) !

13. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

nail polish in PC modding? now i see everything!
    nice mod BTW

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nah, nail polish is pretty common in modding. It's like cheap touch-up paint, but you can pick some up on a grocery run. :lol: -Or swipe the wife's.

The rig came out great. It's a good thing it's for a trade show, though. As a home rig it would likely be against a wall, hiding the fun side.

Pixel in a machine shop... That scared me a little.

15. FAT

FAT What's a Dremel?

Thanks! Haha yes it is mostly a quick fix ;) ! Just like cheapskate said, quite cheap, lots of colors and easy available haha!

Thanks :)! True, when you would have this mod at home you would probably never see the backside, but you would have a great big screen :D! I wouldn't mind if I never aw the backside if got to keep the mod ;) !

Actually it was very interesting bringing Pixel there, i was wondering what he would do with all that freedom to spread his wings! In the end he kept very close, he didn't want to leave my shoulder and check what I was about to do. Tenzin and I tried to let him fly a bit, just by 'throwing' him between us from one end of the workshop to the other ;) ! He was a model bird (and a bit scared, how to handle all that extra space) ;) !

16. Mockingbird

Mockingbird What's a Dremel?

Is that rear shot with one LED on the full extent of the lighting? I'd be concerned that the red plates are too muted against the black.

Although not to everyone's taste, I do quite like the way the white accents have been done on the front - on the back it's maybe a bit busy, particularly down near the stand?

Certainly an interesting case to work with I'm sure - not much room to play with, and you can't do too much to the silhouette without losing the AIO advantages.