1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve to address CS:GO gambling site controversy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Jul 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Having a really hard time caring about this. I don't see a whole lot of difference between spending money to get the possibility of winning a pointless skin and spending money on the egg vending machines at the grocery store. Fraudulent promotion is bad and the you tubers deserve to get slapped, but beyond that, so what?

3. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

The only reason Valve are doing anything, is because of the court case. They let it go on for as long as possible to milk as much money as they possibly could.

If they were doing things because it's the right thing to do, they would have at least attempted to fix the toxic community which has arisen from all the cheating and griefing. Overwatch is broken, as most of the cheaters can get around it by having a few accounts. I have Prime matchmaking and often find myself playing with people that are non-Prime. Also theres a problem with the play style and behaviour of a certain country, so much so there is an app which aims to decrease your chances of playing with them, which is fairly popular.

The CS:GO gambling scene is reported to be worth about $2 BILLION+ a year. Don't expect much to change. Valve have been given a pass by the community as being the good guy for too long, but the beast has grown into something very ugly.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Given Overwatch is developed and published by Blizzard Entertainment, a subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, I'm a little confused as to how it being broken is Valve's fault...

5. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Yep, if I remember correctly they helped out CSGO Lounge in the past when they had trouble with their bot accounts and have had no problem with these skin gambling sites since they popped up over a year ago.

That'll be the overwatch feature of CS:GO.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Ah! Yes, that makes more sense than the *other* Overwatch, doesn't it? :duh: Last time I played Counter-Strike was on a 56K modem, and there was not such thing as 'skins' and 'gambling' meant throwing a knife blindly over a wall in the hope of killing a hidden enemy...