1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music The Hi-Fi thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by Edge102030, 30 Dec 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Awesome :D I do like a bit of car audio me :D

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Good!

Cracked on today, makes sense hottest day of the year so far working in a car yeah no problem!

Anyway, Car is a Saab 9-3. This makes it interesting because the whole system relies on fibre optic connections, break it an the car wont start :blah:

So with that in mind I whipped out the climate control unit which meant I could get the cars brain and CD player out, then added a SOT loom which is used to connect Parrot handsfree kits, but meant I could add a normal ISO loom so I can use the new headunit.

Anyway photos

CABLE!
    [​IMG]

Cheating a fibreoptic loopback connection, the plastic tube you get from a small paintbrush

[​IMG]

Need a bit of a surround though, but its in wont power up till I splice in a live connection

[​IMG]

3. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

I have a saab 9-3 (2005) and I looked and looked and looked at car audio threads up and down the internet (there weren't many) and in the end decided that a parrot mki9200 and some better speakers could be appropriate - so fitted those..... eventually.....after fighting with the car and it's speaker mounts and various other random pieces of plastic that saab decided to fit.

Saab didn't want people going their own way with audio in those cars :wallbash::wallbash:

4. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

My old car was just as bad. Nissan Almera 2004 model. I couldn't fit an OEM system because if I did I would loose the blower and air con so I had to keep the factory fitted junk. All I could do in the end was fit a new set of speakers on the parcel shelf and disconnect the blown factory ones.

My own home audio setup though - Yamaha DSP A5 5.1 AV Amp, Tannoy Mercury V1 book shelf speakers, Pioneer CD Player and my media PC running a 32 inch TV and soon an xBox 360. Fantastic system and cost me less than £200 :)

5. legoman

Its not easy is it! Still, moment of truth tomorrow, joy of this is its fully reversible, seem a few bits which people chopped up looms etc.

The do seem to do this wit ha lot of cars now make it hard or impossible to fit a new headunit.

Home kit for reference

Roth Oli10's driven by a Pioneer X-HM10 with a dodgy volume knob :s Volume up means up, down or nothing.

6. Vault-Tec

What a huge disappointment :(

The MK2 came today and I guess it was buggered. The MK1 was really powerful and warm but the MK2, which should be even better, was just weak and distorted if I touched the volume control :(

I'm backing it via Amazon and will order another one.

7. teacherboy

My home set-up from friday will be:

Q acoustics 3050 front floorstanders (to be purchased when amazon refund hits my account after the f*** up with the single speaker that they sent....)
    Q Acoustics 3090 Centre (already purchased)
    Q Acoustics 3020 satellites (already purchased)
    Q Acoustics 1000s subwoofer (to be replaced by a BK Elec but haven't decided which one yet)
    Onkyo TX-NR626 AV receiver (already owned)

Will in all likelihood trade in the tx-nr626 for a tx-rz800 for added wallop

8. Vault-Tec

Legoman - can't you just cut a surround from 3mm acrylic and then cover it with something?

9. legoman

Its going to be ther best solution, ill take a mound of the shape with some Sugru then I can attach an acrylic front to the moulding and pressure fit it into place.

Speakers arrived as well, need a bracket for them to fit and a wiring harness (dam custom ones) but they look good. Below are the 6.5mids, 3.7" full ranges and 1" tweets

[​IMG]

Oh, an a pair of the amps. Think these will be whats used unless mounting them becomes a problem. Then I'd need to look at something slimmer, found a couple of great spots in the boot, just need to make sure I can mount the amps there safely.

10. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Has anyone here some experience with amps from Magnarz? If yes, would you recommend their gear?

Thanks!

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I read Marantz and was about to post, and then re-read.

I've never heard of Magnarz, and neither has google - have a link?

12. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I read and thought the same ! If you mean Marantz then yes, they make some cracking kit - one of my mates has a Marantz amp :)

As for Magnarz, is that some kind of cider ?

13. teacherboy

Door woofers and dash mids?

Where do you plan on mounting the tweeters? A pillar in a housing or top of door panel (in custom mounts in either case)

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Bought yesterday:

Astell & Kern AK300, which will be used as portable as well as source for my McIntosh MHA-100 together with the dock I bought as well. Now I just need a good XLR --> XLR cable and I'm all set.

15. legoman

Tweeters are going in the dash as well. Tweeters will be on a cap to cut the lows, mids will run on a 12db crossover to about 8k the door woofers have a natural rolloff so I won't need to worry then I'll sort a sub for the very bottom end.

16. Aterius Gmork

Magnarz is me being an idiot. You two are right of course. :lol:

I am looking at the Marantz PM 7005 as it has an USB DAC. Unfortunately I cannot find a local shop that stocks one.

17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Makes more sense then!

IMO you can't go wrong with D&M kit in their price range. I've used Denon AV amps for a long time - 3313, 3808 and 2808 to be precise, and have a Marantz CD63KI that's a million years old, has been opened and haphazardly modded as many times and is still going strong and sounds great. My Dad has a Marantz SR9600 as well, which is fairly old but still solid, and driving some very large Def Tech speakers - sounds great.

If you're not fixed on a single chassis to do everything though, and don't have a particularly broad source requirement, you may get better results from splitting the DAC and Amp. Nothing related to the PM7005 specifically, but as with any integrated, the more that's in the one box, the more components you may not use are contributing to the cost.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2016
  18. Aterius Gmork

I have no problem splitting the DAC and amp at all. It's just that the PM7005 has just the connections I need: USB for the PC, coaxial and optical for the HTPC and bluray player. The amp also costs just about as far as I am willing to stretch my budget.

Last week I got a very good deal on a pair of Heco Music Style 900 speakers. They sound lovely, but my cheap Yamaha amp does not cut it anymore. Unfortunately I have no clue about audio equipment.

19. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

What he said, I've got 5 AV recievers running in my house 4 of which are Denon's of various ages and they all work faultlessly. Unless your going super high end Denon's are pretty much my go to brand for AV reciever.

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I haven't had an audio setup in the lounge for quite some time now. For my PC I'm using a Behringer UCA202 audio interface into a Behringer mixing desk (yeah, go on, laugh at all my Behringer kit :thumb: ) into which I plug in an Audio Technica BPHS1 headset. But in the lounge I've got nothing but my TV really.

However. I got the bug recently and started thinking about getting into vinyl.

I got it into my head that I could build an amplifier & phono stage myself for relatively cheap, although obviously I'd need to buy a decent turntable. My other half soon poured scorn on my DIY ambitions: "You always have these ideas and you never finish anything". The phrase "pouring scorn" might be a tad harsh; she just knows me better than I do. She's right of course, I can just damn well buy an amplifier for less than the cost of sourcing the parts.

So I've just won a set of Mission 702e floor standing speakers on eBay (my buddy in Uni had a set of these speakers, so I already know that they can sound pretty good) which I'm due to collect this weekend. Because no delivery was offered I was the only bidder at £45 - result. From the photos they look like they're in excellent condition, but I guess I'll discover any horror stories when I get them home. I've just read about a rather worrying flaw in the design of these speakers whereby the baffles in the bass port can come loose and make a hideous noise (like this) - let's hope mine aren't affected...

Moving on. I'm now in the market for an amp. I have an absolute maximum budget of £150, so at that price I'm going to be getting used kit. I'd prefer a built-in phono stage and a remote control would be a very nice bonus. I have my eye on a bunch of eBay auctions already, but does anyone have any recommendations?

• Cambridge Audio Azur 640A V2 - This is currently my front-runner, but has no phono stage
    • Cambridge Audio Azur 351A - Close call between this and the Rotel as my second choice; no phono on this either, but it does appear to have a USB DAC which is nice
    • Rotel RA-01 - Close call between this and the Azur 351A as my second choice; built-in phono stage, result!
    • Cambridge Audio A5i - This is definitely the super cheap budget option
    • Pioneer SA-510 - I reaaaallly like the look of the display in this