1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other AMD return to profit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harlequin, 22 Jul 2016.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

http://www.overclock3d.net/news/mis...ovements_in_their_q2_2016_financial_results/1

ZEN isn't out yet and neither is VEGA.

GAAP vs NON-GAAP

http://uk.businessinsider.com/gaap-vs-non-gaap-earnings-eps-2013-12

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Err no - they still made a loss, just not as much of a loss as last year.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

erm they made a $3 million non gaap profit

[​IMG]

which is exactly why I linked the difference between GAAP and non-GAAP

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Non-GAAP profits aren't fully realised profits. It's just the same as EBITDA - it doesn't account for tax and doesn't take the likes of asset depreciation or loan repayments into consideration.

Nonetheless, AMDs fortunes are clearly improving.

5. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Good for them and good for us the consumers!

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Look at where the cash is from though it's not PC graphics which lost $80million, it's semi custom chips like what's in the Xbox and PlayStation.

Ps Neo alone is surely the bulk of the $250millon increase compared to Q1.

Anandtech has the full break down its a good read.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

The first paragraph of your link states

Yes they made a $3 million non-gaap profit but if you take the preferred gaap earnings then they made a loss.

Don't get me wrong - I'm pleased that they're not doing as horribly as last year but simply stating that "AMD return to profit" is misleading.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Zen volume launch is now Q1 2017 acording to AMD (Was attached to the official press release with these reports)( No mension of VEGA). Limited availability to system builders in Q4 2016. Of there financial years this is. I am not sure on AMDs financial years.

The Part of the business making Xbox and PS4 stuff gained $200million. CPU division and GPU side both lost a decent chunk.

Would AMD 480 sales be already included I wonder, As once its shipped to the store does this count as a sale? Do stores buy the product of AMD before selling it, I assume they do?

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The decision of mid-cycle console refresh by Sony and MS to push VR (in addition to the 'slim' models) has been a saving grace. I think we'll see a solid upward trend in Q3 through Q1 next year too. Vega won't make much impact vs 460/470 will do more because of volume. Since that'll nicely bring them over the billion mark into profit, Zen sales will be a further boost. Good on them.

Depends if they classify sell-in (to disti) or sell-through (to consumer). Sell-in is sometimes classed as items "shipped" not "sold".

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Jul 2016
  10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Do we know how they get paid for those, is it like an upfront payment, per Qtr, per device, or something else?

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Likely a combination of factors, but depends on the terms. Should be an element of technology licensing, like ARM does, as well as a fee for design/construction before they hand over to Sony/MS to go to TSMC.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So it could a big one off payment that's seen them get so close to making a profit, either way it would be good to see them back in the black for an extended period.