1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win10 or not Win10?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MadGinga, 25 Jul 2016.

1. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

First; Yes https://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/downgrade_rights.aspx
    Second; Buy windows 10 £21.99 = Bargain https://softwaregeeks.co.uk/product/windows-10-pro/
    Still try Linux, pick your distro carefully

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

The "Show Key" VBScript I use displays what looks like a valid Windows 10 key that is different to the Windows 8 one I activated 10 with. I'm keeping both on file just in case.
    Now you can skip entering a key on installation I can't see it being much of a problem in the event of a clean reinstall though, even if you have to activate over the phone.

3. cgcox1

cgcox1 Obessed Folder! Me? Surely not!

does win 10 free upgrade finish today thursday or tomorrow?

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Tomorrow, the 29th. It'll most likely be at the end of the day. So around 6AM GMT on the 30th.

5. cgcox1

cgcox1 Obessed Folder! Me? Surely not!

Cheers mate. That means I can stop work, have a curry and go to bed.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

MS have nerfed some W10Pro group policies.

What you CAN'T do anymore on Pro:-

• Turn off Microsoft consumer experiences (You're HAVING Candy Crush so there!)
    • Do not show Windows Tips
    • Disable lock screen & go straight to logon
    • Disable all apps from Windows Store

These are now only working on Enterprise, Educational, & Server copies. :wallbash:

EDIT - The relevant registry keys have ALSO been disabled!

7. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

8. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Perfectly. I was curious too, but a lot of people on here and reddit use it, never seen an issue so far

9. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

How is it so cheap?!

10. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Yes, absolute insanity. Anyone who expects me to 'upgrade' from my current install of Windows 7 Ultimate (equal to Windows 7 Enterprise) to a crippled Windows 10 installation with fewer features is absolutely daft.

The way I see it, I still have at least another four years with an OS which does everything I need it to do, with full support and no major complaints. I'll sit out this Windows 10 disaster as it unfolds. With the 'free upgrade' period over with, and the noose tightening around 'free' Win10 installations it'll be interesting to see what happens to its marketshare.

11. WarBoys

WarBoys What's a Dremel?

Windows 7 support will end... upgrade to Win 10

12. techhead

techhead Minimodder

I am going to stick with Windows 7 there is to many unknowns on what Microsoft are planning in the next few years with windows 10.

The next big update they are going to enable Cortina fully and you will not be able to uninstall or disable it. It seems to me that Microsoft is start to taking away people’s choices on the programs that people want to use.eg

Third-party free applications if it ain’t been signed by Microsoft it will not work

What browser choice you want. As you know that Microsoft doesn’t really want to have Google Chrome on Windows 10.

There are some small rumours that in the next few years that Microsoft are planning to stop fully supporting steam or make it slightly less than functional.

Subscription-based OS. It started already the question is where will it end Microsoft are not in the habit of giving away 350 million free licenses away they are not a charity.

These things may happen or may not happen in the next few years. But I am going to watch this saga unfold

13. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I grabbed my brothers old laptop from the closet and started it going. It's a second gen core i5, so even with a broken screen, I'm sure I can find a use for it. My only hesitation was I had been using it with a USB capture card that doesn't have a signed driver, but I can always spin up a VM for that as needed.

14. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Free upgrade is over. Back from holiday last night, very tired, so fired up the PC this morning hoping the cut off would be 10am as mentioned.

Clicked the Win 10 icon in the task bar, and it's all over. The bus has disappeared down the road and I've missed the bu**er.

Hey, still got Win 7 on board...

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Unfortunately, I think the deadline was always midnight - that's what the timer on the upgrade splash screen has been counting down to over the last couple of weeks.

I didn't upgrade in the end - I wasn't about over the last couple of days so missed the boat. Bizarrely, though, when I powered up my PC this morning I saw the splash screen telling me the free upgrade period has expired, but when I go into Windows Update, lo and behold it's telling me to upgrade to Win 10 and "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586" is ticked under Optional Updates in Windows Update. Not sure if this means I can still upgrade or not, to be honest. Of course, uncertainty and confusion appear to be the watchwords of the entire Win 10 rollout :D

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I upgraded two PC's, one I have dismantled so no longer in use and the other, my secondary crashed with blue screen something I have not seen for years for absolutely no obvious reason as it was just at the desktop with very little running, but I really do not like it or in fact the whole way Microsoft has pushed this over the past while. So gaming PC remains Windows 7 for the foreseeable future.

17. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Second quote first - midnight cutoff must have been for physically starting updates through the GWX tray icon (since I had one update screw up and had to restart it after midnight and it worked). From the website they went by Seattle time so you could still get the download up to approx 9am at least.

[EDIT] Though Bawjaws for you it depends, if the complete download is sat in your optional Winupdates before yesterday because of automatic updating - then it might count. Run the installation and come back and tell us if it works as I think any general workarounds are best tried this weekend.

However all might not be lost Arboreal!

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free-after-the-july-29-deadline/

TL;DR if you ever tried Win10 the once and either rolled back or quickformatted to return to 7 or 8 in the past year, then use the media creation tool (making sure you choose 64-Bit and don't waste a blank DVD like I did :duh: ) and install from a USB stick when offline, connect to the internet and it'll pick up the next update after that and you're away. Give it a try this weekend even if you're only going to image it for later and roll back before September.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2016
  18. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Would MS really restrict browsers again and have rival devs and the EU come back with more legal action? Sounds like another move that would just not make corporate sense especially if they fall behind on Edge the same way IE became a millstone round the neck of the old OS. So if they don't like Chrome they'll have to actually develop or buy something better.

My only real gripe with Win10 atm is its demand on the connection, it biases towards Fibre for definite, anyone trapped on a pants BT exchange that couldn't upgrade ISPs to Virgin cable, might have the same problems with multitasking that they did before. Other than that no issues so far and games-wise I needed a new GPU to get back to gaming anyway.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2016
  19. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

20. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

That's an excellent fallback.

After googling around to read up on the 99% hanging error, turned off Windows Update in Win7, only used the Windows10Upgrade9252 upgrade stub rather than the original USB stick from the media creation tool as it will redownload the whole thing anyway. No problems with the final install to this other PC but then again it had the most RAM as well.

Now to get that R7 Graphics card minimum for my desktop if I want to get back to gaming.