1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Aetos - A 3D printed ITX build for the AMD R9 Nano - Finished! 29/07/16

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Maki role, 1 Sep 2015.

1. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

I love the aesthetics of this! Excited to see how it pans out.

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Right let's get this show on the road! I have until the 11th of July to get Aetos up and out, so every day counts.

[​IMG]

It's only a little update today in terms of visuals, but it was an important step. First up, you guys were right, that GPU mounting solution was utter rubbish. I don't know what I was thinking when I came up with it, so that's out of the window now. I haven't got pictures of the new system yet as it's not quite finished, but it's much more in line with what you would expect from this build.

The big one for me was working on this annoying gap between the front and rear side panels. There's supposed to be a thin line, but because the front pieces warped after printing, the gap was much larger and wonkier than it was supposed to be. I've basically gone and filled it up and smoothed it back down again, it now looks much closer to how it does in the renders.

I've also begun work on the rear panel, which should help to keep everything nice and sleek.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Such an awesome, and utterly unique, design! Love it!!! :rock:

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

METAL BUTT! :rock:

5. Maki role

Thanks dude!

Don't Google that.

[​IMG]

Befitting of the last update, here is another "small" one. Admittedly this took a lot longer than I was expecting as I had to remake the panel after I messed up the first one with some dodgy measuring. Needless to say this was quite a bit of needle file work.

[​IMG]

GPU bracket included

[​IMG]

Looks ugly at this point but is functional

[​IMG]

Ahh see, looks better now

[​IMG]

6. Cheapskate

Lovely.
    Off to google I go.

7. Maki role

[​IMG]

So yesterday I spent a lot of time sanding, priming and painting. In fact I finished around midnight, hence the style of the last few pictures. I figured since it's such a wonderful evening, I would take the photos outside in the garden again, only this time illuminated with my studio lights.

Sanded smooth and ready for priming
    [​IMG]

Hung up for action
    [​IMG]

It looks rather nice in grey actually
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The back looks so much cleaner now
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Maki role

[​IMG]

And here we are folks, the end of the journey for Aetos. Hopefully you'll enjoy the final results!

A huge thank you to AMD for commissioning the build, it would have been completely impossible without their help and support.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for scale:
    [​IMG]

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Where's the Nano?

10. Maki role

It's behind the motherboard. I would have done a shot with that side removed but I made a large design oversight which meant that much of the structure is part of it :wallbash: So if I remove that panel loads of things come apart basically, rookie error but hey, I designed it almost a year ago so there's that.

11. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Error or no, that design is awesome! And like most of your stuff, completely unique. MUCH respect for that! :rock: :rock:

12. Cheapskate

Someone post a banana?

13. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

Love the surreal curves, and the over all shape
    Btw, when does mass production start?

14. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Absolutely amazing :jawdrop:, a totally unique look pushing the boundaries there.
    As has been said, never mind the alleged mistake, it's a masterpiece. On top of that you've learned some design aspects that you wouldn't have without Aetos.
    Everything else is looking distinctly cuboid and so last year!

15. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Nifty. The curves are GREAT! My acrylic skills are still stuck to angles for the most part right now... lol.

16. Cheapskate

It came out great. -Again. Also again, I have to beg someone to cover the psu sticker, though.:lol:

To one-up yourself next time, you are going to need to go full organic with integrated cable looms, and transparent.:D

17. Maki role

Thanks man! I've very happy with the overall look, but so many things bug me about this build. Hopefully an eventual sequel will be able to sort those out haha.

Trust me, you wouldn't want to build in this thing rofl. Would be interesting seeing how much would have to be changed for real production though.

I'm always a little sad when I see people using 3D printing to creat flat, square designs, seems like a waste to me. We have laser cutters and CNC routers for that, 3D printing has the unique ability to craft forms that would require ridiculously hefty machinery normally, so I wanted to do it justice. Hopefully this design has managed that to some extent :D

Thanks!

I was really considering either removing the sticker or covering it, but had difficulties and time was ticking unfortunately. I only had the hardware with me for a day at the end assembly and the wiring took up almost all of the time :/

Mmn, you know what? That sounds pretty crazy to me, might just have to give it a go :thumb:

18. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

:clap:Fantastic build. Bravissimo!!:clap:

19. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Nice. Very discrete and tidy,I like it.

It has a nice shape to it,shame the back looks so chopped of but the rest makes up for it.

20. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It turned out great! Nice work, dude! :D