1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The 50 Best PC Games of All Time: The Top 10

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 29 Jul 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

No Pong, list invalid...

... or something like that

3. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

Call of Duty 4..........best game ever to appear on PC. IMHO.

4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Deus Ex... YEAH!!!!

Gotta agree with the Witcher 3. A game that consistently gave me goosebumps. It had me travel to certain areas, just to hear the music. Freaking, awesome game. Totally deserved. It's done everything I personally wanted from a game.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I'll leave this here :D

6. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I've read all of these reviews without commenting as I thought it only fair to see the whole list first. I have to say that this is why most of the time I take game reviews with a pinch of salt. Personally, I don't like a single game in your top 10 - I wouldn't want play to any of them, even if I was given them for free. I've actually played a couple of the one's in your top 10 and hated them with a passion.

In no way am I saying that any choice you have made is wrong, it's your opinion (as any review should be), but as a game reviewer (which you are) I am pretty sure that from now on, any game review you post will be read by me with an eye on your journalistic talent, rather than on your opinion of a game.

I'll be honest, when I read your final list I was rather annoyed that game X & Y didn't even make your top 50, let alone your top 10, but then I realised that I must consider that this list is just your point of view. Games, like music and films have no hard and fast rule as to what will appeal.
    I don't envy your job, you can only say what you feel about a game; I'm just glad I don't make games and have them reviewed by yourself.

TLDR - the thread should be titled 'My Fav top 50 games...' because it's subjective, not fact.

7. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

No Day of the Tentacle?

And Half-Life 2 is #1, hands down. The Witcher 3 is not going to go down in history in the same way as HL2. It will not set the standard to be measured against for the next 10+ years. It may be very good and polished, but it's nothing new . . . other that being the most recently released game on the list.

8. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

Headline should indeed be 'my current list of top favourite games', because it's clearly very personal and missing many.

9. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Still no complete list included... :(
    So I have to go clicking through pages and pages to see what is where? I just don't think I'll bother.

10. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

@ Chris Waddle, the preface to the list says its a list of personal favourites but about half the top 10 are games that are generally considered PC gaming royalty anyway. Given you said you wouldn't play any of them even if given free, I'd be interested in knowing what games you'd have in the top 10.

11. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Much better list (with the exception of mine craft), only in the top 10 do you finally start picking the best games! :)

The Witcher 3 well and truly deserves to be at the top of the pile. The best 110 hours I have ever spent in a game.

12. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Interesting stuff. A couple of games have been added to my must try list. :)

Surprised CS wasn't there but that's the beauty of personal opinion.
    Not surprised people think your list must match theirs. :)

Is there any chance you/the team can expand on this with follow ups - best fps, best RPG, best driving game etc?

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I actually don't even like 9 of those.

Where is Fallout 3? this is a joke yes?

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Missing 3 rather large games,

League of Legends has changed the way gaming is viewed around the globe. Its no longer a bedroom past time but a actual esport because of this game alone. Its actually got its own TV channel and was even shown live on the BBC.

Counter Strike be it 1.5 or source basically been a competitive online title for the last 20 years. Still one of the best tactical online fps games ever made. Considered by many as the reason Competitive Esports still exist before LoLs arival.

Fallout 3, The best of the Fallouts and a stand out game in its own right.

Half Life 2 is still ahead of Witcher 3 for me, Witcher 3 will bearly be remembered outside of the next 2 years. Half Life 2 is still talked about consistantly for the things it achieved.

HL2 set the benchmark in so many different things and to this day no game has come close to it.

Witcher 3 is a great game but to be number 1 all time takes something special. HL2 was special.

15. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

After reading many of the comments over the 5 articles I have come to the conclusion that while these things are meant to be positive and bring the community together through a discussion of different points of view, they are actually far more divisive and disruptive than anything else.

Unless articles have an underlying theme of being educational (I have complained long and hard about the lack there of) it just leads to bickering and finger pointing and no one has time for that s@#t!!

I feel sorry for the authors who constantly have to deal with such negativity, but honestly I can't remember the last time I read something here and genuinely felt that I had learned something.

16. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I disagree.

I'm sure there are people on Bit who have played all 50 games on the list, but not that many and so I feel this article serves as one persons summary of the last 20 years of excellence in gaming and at the same time a list of high points others might of missed and why they are worth a shot. IMHO the discussion has been mostly positive, especially considering the state of discourse on the rest of the web, and I think it's been a discussion worth having.

17. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

A list that doesn't mention the likes of Colonization, Jagged Alliance 2, Panzer General, Master of Orion II ... or Tetris?

I must be old and I take the author is just past his teens, hence the extremely narrow choice of genres (there are game genres other than RPG and FPS I'll have you know ...) and very short time frame to which most of these choices belong.

Oh well ...

18. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

In his opinion.

The problem with lists like this is that they are all down to what you see as a good game and your opinion based on your taste and what you like to play.

Let's use Witcher 3 as an example. I am not into spells, wizards or anything medieval at all. As such no matter how hard the devs on this game tried (and look, I'm not saying it's a bad game) it was never going to appeal to me. I bought it and I tried it but I found it terribly boring. Well, apart from the fact that his bird looks like a Realdoll that cracked me up and I laughed as I showed it to my wife and she went "Oh yeah!". But other than that? I didn't even make it out of the pub just up the road.

I could see how beautiful it was, how well it worked and all of that it just had nothing in there for me.

And that's an issue isn't it? it's like saying "Well Star Wars is the best film ever !" but try saying that to some one who doesn't really like sci fi and fantasy (raises his hand again). I mean sure, I enjoyed Star Wars but it's far from the best film ever IMO.

So this top 50 is actually just someone's self satisfying opinion. And like all other opinions it's going to divide people.

Having said all of that? hey, I wouldn't mind my own soap box where I could put my 50 best games ever on a website. So fair play for that.

19. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

witchers are designed to be emotionless so the players can have all the feels.

end of article.

20. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Xcom game included, you are forgiven.

The 1994 version was better than the 2012, but it is 2016 now.

Yours in X-Com Forever Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

Tags: Add Tags