1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Pascal and Polaris Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 25 Aug 2015.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Rumour is it's 1.3x faster...

2. rollo

rollo Modder

So about 15% on most 1080s. That's not enough for that cash level. £1099 is a absolutely mental sum of money for a gpu.

24k 3dmark vs 26k 3dmark is what I saw which is about the 15%.

3. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Unless you're doing GPU rendering with furryball, indigo, vray-rt or octane.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

If your doing those things your still better with a quadro

5. Stanley Tweedle

I dun know the performance difference. Rendering is massively faster on GPU based renderers even without quadro. I don't wanna build a separate machine for 3d work.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

must only be small files then - theres a reason why the big companies use render farms

7. Stanley Tweedle

Not all models need to be 200 terror bytes.

If you're rendering photo-realistic 3d video then you might need a render farm but actually render farms were necessary before GPU renderers came along. Pre-GPU rendering then a render farm was the only option for ultra-detailed/textured renders.

These days people can use something like Octane with a GPU or two to do what a render farm had to do previously.

It also means that Quadro is also less important than it was.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Performance per watt might be sick, if strictly for gaming it's basically the cost of 2 1080s for at best 30% performance boost. Nvidia is milking the crap out of high end gpu users with no sign of competition you wonder how long before the price listed is the new cost of entry to high end.

Time to start praying for the AMD resurgence strictly from a gaming point of view anyway.

9. Stanley Tweedle

Yar, especially since AMD have embraced VR. We need competition for intel CPU's and Nvidia GPU's.

10. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

people will still buy them. stupidly.

11. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

The last Titan was £9x0, but this one does not appear to have the same percentage performance swing that the last one did. It is a stupidly expensive card for little gain and people will still buy it.

The TX mk II price/performance does not bode well for the 1080ti, imo. £800 for a 10-15% speed increase anyone? Hyperinflation of the top end gpu price, courtesy of Nvidia.

12. Deders

Deders Modder

The last Titan didn't have any features aimed at professionals, apart from the 12GB of ram.

Makes me wonder if there is much point in a 1080TI. I guess if they reduced the SM's they would have a bit more room clockwise in the power envelope, but would this make much of a difference?

13. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I was thinking of gamers specifically. Not sure the new Titan X is aimed at pros particularly, even if it has some relevant features.

Also the 1080 price shows that Nvidia are aggressively trying to normalise a higher price point across the spectrum. I would drop them for AMD with no hesitation if vega turns out to be decent.

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Stupid Titan is stupid. No DP either.

15. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I think 1080Ti will be very close to performance of this Titan X.
    Same what happened to 980Ti and Titan X - it was sometimes even better than Titan.

Price wise - here it may be killed. 1080 needs to go down to £500-550 range, then 1080Ti could be £600. Anything higher, it will fail.

Looks like Nvidia f***d it up big time with this series price wise - it may be a series that needs to be left till next series comes up before purchased.
    Like now, we have 980Ti going for £300-350 second hand. We may need to wait a year to get 1080Ti for £400....

16. Vault-Tec

LOLing at the sour grapes around the various forums. Even the most hardened Nvidia fanboys are all slating this card into the ground because they can't afford it.

This is just the beginning. Nvidia are getting closer to Moore's law and boy do they want paying for it.

The 1080ti will be upward of £800. I know it, you know it, we all know it.

Hilariously the people suffering the most due to not being able to afford this Titan are mostly the ones who run AMD into the ground and call for their demise.

It's just the most delicious slice of salty tear flavoured irony.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yep, because 16FF costs $$, GDDR5X costs $$ and because no competition in this segment. Will AMD meet Nvidia above $600 with Vega considering cost of HBM2/14FF large core?
    I argued with a US editor today that the Fury series just doesn't compare to the TitanX because it's a "big core". Price+perf = segment.

18. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Might be taking this the wrong way, but looks like there are a variety of new GPU's coming from NVIDIA based on Folding at Homes GPU's.txt file. (http://fah-web.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/GPUs.txt)

Extract:
    A lot of GPU10x's with xxx for name. :baby:

Apologies if already mentions. :eeek:

19. Vault-Tec

I highly doubt it, as I have a feeling Vega will cost significantly more to produce than Pascal. Especially if it uses HBM.

20. Vault-Tec

Hmm just seen the news that the new Samsung tablet will support Vulkan. Seems OT but this is *huge* for AMD. If games from a PC can be made to run in the mobile field the possibility for making money is huge. This will give devs an enormous motive for coding with Vulkan.