1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 1080 boost clock stuck at low speeds after PC has been idle few days.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sew333, 1 Aug 2016.

1. Deders

Deders Modder

No difference. Still drivers.

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Tbh... I've thought long and hard about thisl. Have you considered burning your house down?

3. Deders

Deders Modder

@Law99: Really not sure how this would help

@Sew333: Before you ask, no, don't burn your house down.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

sew333 - I would be almost 100% certain that your card is absolutely fine and am 100% certain that you need to stop asking about it and just play some goddamn games on it. Occasionally if my PC has been on for a while I'll notice that one of the cards in my rig doesn't boost up to full power which is always solved by a restart of the computer.

GK

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Why would you leave your PC at idle for a few days? Just shut it down when you aren't going to use it for a long time.

6. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

If the clock speed gets stuck, reboot your PC. Simple. Things sometimes go 'weird' if hardware is in a low power state. Or (and especially in the summer), shut it down when it's not being used! :thumb:

7. law99

law99 Custom User Title

If you raise the house, and everything in it, the problem has been incinerated.

Anyway, I'd stop leaving my PC on for days at a time on idle ...

8. sew333

sew333 What's a Dremel?

What is your graphic card?

9. sew333

sew333 What's a Dremel?

Update: pc was 2 days on idle and throttling occured again. Pc restart fixed again.

Note from geforce forum:"If you are running a Pascal GPU (GTX 1080/1070/1060), please test with the Power Management Mode in the NVIDIA Control Panel set to Adaptive (default is Optimal power) and let me know if you hit the same stuck low clocks after an idle period."

I have optimal power. Maybe choose to adaptive? But some user reported it not helped.

10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

2 x GTX 780s. Like others have said - just turn off your pc when you're not using it! Why leave it idling for 2 days?

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

To add, this has basically happened to every series of Nvidia card I've used since the GTX 6xx series. Basically it's just a power saving feature that sometimes doesn't "wake up".

I wouldn't worry about it, rebooting the PC usually fixes it, and if you REALLY can't be bothered just use the EVGA KBoost (that turns off all of that and runs the card at full tilt constantly.). Rebooting will be perfectly fine though.

The next release of drivers should fix it, but my GTX 780, 680, and 970 all had this happen once in a while. Nothing to worry about carry on!

12. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I've started leaving my car on after I park. I'll let you know if it develops any issues.

13. Deders

Deders Modder

It doesn't just happen after 3 days or so, it's happened overnight for me.

14. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Well... I woke up this morning and my car is gone. I've been in Nissan forums and it is totally a bug. However, I could, like, apparently, just turned my car off and it would still be here this morning. So confused.

15. Deders

Deders Modder

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

16. law99

law99 Custom User Title

It's gone.... I'm not sure what to do. I've bought another car. But it is more convenient to me if I leave it on, idling.

17. Deders

Deders Modder

See if it happens again, if it does then feel free to write a strongly worded letter to the manufacturer.