1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by iancowell, 9 Aug 2016.

1. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

All the guys at work are playing it on PS4, and they love it. Seeing what some of you guys are saying makes me think it might be worth a purchase at the end of the month come pay day :)

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Reading the comments attached to that review from SirFaulty that Stanley posted, it appears that the reviewer has only played 1.2 hours (with no mention that I could see of play time on other accounts), before getting a refund from Steam. He does say that he's watched lots of Youtube and Twitch coverage though :D

Of course, I'm not in a position to agree or disagree with the review, because I've not played NMS myself. That said, I think that if someone's only played an hour of a game then that has to be taken into account when reading their review.

Disclaimer: I've only read the first fifty or so comments attached to the review, as I could feel my sanity and intelligence being stripped away as I read...

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Several more hours, and I've now had a crash occur! Immediately (within 1/2 a second) after a save point, so no actual impact.

Tried Alt-Tabbing in fullscreen mode just to see if it would crash. It doesn't (sound still runs, control inputs can be heard being responded to), you just can't bring the display back on top again! Borderless of course works just fine.

4. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Uhhh.. Not me. I have never played the game.

5. Stanley Tweedle

Let's hope so. I hope SC will have too.

6. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Oldly enought I have had no issues running it on my PC.

Loving it so far played around 20-ish hours, 48-slot ship (fighterish type) lol.

Made an underground cave base with the plasma grenade launcher, tunnels rooms etc, (just because) (planet bob).

Made a voice attack profile so it can boost/map/scan/land on request.

When you get closer to the centre, some of the space battles are quite large :) and fun. (in the right ship with the right equiptment.

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Very tempted despite all the negative press, think I might splash out on it now I'm earning.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Steam reviews and comments on them are more and more becoming like youtube comments...

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

The one valid hater point does seem to be the price. It's all the limitations and hiccups of an indie project, with all the cost of a AAA title, but none of the breadth or variety of a AAA title.

Like, if it was £17.99 or whatever like most indie titles, could anyone really hate it? It'd be like, "yes, it's thin and repetitive and a simple concept executed well, but for £17.99 who cares?"

When people are paying £40+, though, I'd argue they have a right to expect more and complain more. It's a lot of money. (If £40 is not a lot of money to you, we have nothing in common and I dislike you on principle. Sorry!)

10. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

No, you're right. I don't have it but i've seen tons of videos on it by now and it seems to be the same thing every time. 18 quintillion planets, the same few tilesets in different colours each time seems like.

£40 is a lot of money for an indie game. It doesn't have the quality, variety or support of AAA games. Sony dug their heels in and advertised it, but invested nothing into the game itself. It's Elite Mine-Dangerous-Craft but without any multiplayer. If this was multiplayer, it'd be at least worth it. the fact it is essentially a single player title puts me off this kind of game.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Same could be said of Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous. Both effectively Indie titles. Elite once complete will of cost £120+ for its expansions.

Who knows how much some people have paid for Star Citizen

Its about a days Child care at the local nursery for an example. (Child Care is actually £43.23 a day) Entertainment is pretty cheap by that measurement.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2016
  12. oscy

oscy Modder

I've seen people even criticising the game size - not that it's too big, but at 2GB that it's 'too small'! If it had been a quarter of the price, the same people would've picked something else out to complain about.

The problem this game has is that it became 'mainsteam' or 'popular', there is a certain group of people who will rip apart anything popular because they want to tell themselves they're different to everyone else, that they're unique.

13. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

This is what's driving me insane. There are plenty of negative points about the game I agree with, but it's been blown so crazily out of all proportion.

I got so much grief for buying it. Even though I'd watched a lot of streams and knew what I was buying into. As it turns out, I know what I like better than random strangers do! 26hrs in now and still wanting to play it all day and not do anything else!

14. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I can't stop playing it either. I'm pleased I decided to pick it up :)

15. oscy

oscy Modder

I found a planet where the plants are alive, just hopping about, I even befriended one. :lol:

[​IMG]

I'll name the planet PvZ.

EDIT: Oh geez now there are giant strawberries. XD

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Aug 2016
  16. Stanley Tweedle

I think the Arse Technica assessment was accurate. Random generation from a handful of seeds with some game elements tacked-on. I think people who've spent money on it can have fun and want to believe it's an amazing game but I think the actual core gameplay is very limited.

17. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Well yes, that is what a procedurally generated game is (or rather, from a single seed, not a handful. Same seed for everyone, same universe for everyone). It's exactly what we expected.

18. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

From the things people are saying (they will add this and that, etc) it sounds like an early-access game. But it is not, is it?
    Procedurally generated games dont need to be shallow (Terraria, Starbound, not to mention king of them all - Dwarf fortress), the problem with NMS is that its the only selling point and even then, the planets in question are very simplistic (for what can be achieved - look at Outerra or Infinity: Battlescape).

19. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

No, it's not. The people claiming "they will add this and that, etc" are the same people who hyped themselves up into a frenzy imagining things that might be added, rather than looking at the game actually being made. Thus far, Hello Games have not announced any expansions/DLC/whatever.

20. rollo

rollo Modder

This 100% I knew what I was buying before I brought it. What will take it from 100 hour exploration to 1000s hours would be full mod support. If that happened the possibilitys would be near endless.

It's the reason games like Sins of A Solar empire have survived because of the first rate mod support. The main game is fun for 30 hours after that needs mods to expand the races and planets.

Underground base building is a go already if you have some imagination. You can carve out a lair of sorts. Using the plasma mod, never designed for this purpose but sure is fun.