1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Stupidest things you've done, or seen, when building PCs

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-16, 10 Aug 2016.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

OK not really an issue but amusing.

Company decided to try a hardware swap cabinet. Imagine a remotely lockable unit size of a vending machine with 8 shelves each with a shiny new HP laptop in a dock and a KVM in the back we use to remote on and do stuff.

Now, this thing also has a lovely glass front.
    Some numpty being told it needed moving took it for a trundle round to said place on a pallet trolley. Its very top heavy an needless to say fell over smashed the glass, broke the KVM an a few of the laptops.

Best bit, it was only on a trial lease!

2. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

Transmeta Cheesecake.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

An entire 1/2" tube water cooling loop.. except I used 3/8" barbs on every block and wondered why I had just fried a brand new A8N-SLI Deluxe... :waah:

THATS WHY WE LEAK TEST CHILDREN.

Spilling a dirty pint from a game of ring of fire over a brand new Corsair K60 is pretty high too...

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Leak-testing children would have prevented this, how exactly?

Correct grammar and punctuation is the difference between helping your uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse. :p

Last edited: 19 Aug 2016
  5. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Improperly installing the HSF on an Athlon XP without thermal throttling? Check.

Cutting self on those bits which clip into front-panel 5.25"/3.5" cutouts before learning to just whack them with a screwdriver? Check.

Frying a PSU by playing with the voltage selector switch? Check.

Having the FDD LED light up solid because of an improperly connected ribbon cable? Check.

Wiping the contents of a HDD while partitioning without a backup? Check.

Scaring myself because my first self-built system didn't turn on, but simply forgot to flip the PSU power switch? Check :)

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I think I would have placed the comma in your first sentence after the "how" rather than after the "this".

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Ah, now that depends on where you want to place the emphasis in the sentence. Let's take the comma out of the equation and instead use an ellipsis to denote the pause (which, I realise, is not the correct way to use it); the sentence could be either:

"Leak-testing children would have prevented this... how exactly?"
    or
    "Leak-testing children would have prevented this how... exactly?"

The latter is probably more correct, but there's also the question of style: people often write on forums, blogs, comments, etc, in the same way that they would speak out loud. I'm probably splitting hairs at this point, but what good is the internet if a pedant can't use it to be pedantic? :p

8. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

Using Ghost to clone a HDD to a new drive and doing it the wrong way...

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Pampers on the PCB's. Duh.

10. David

What a noob - everyone knows Huggies are the best!

11. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I bought an Abit ITX motherboard.

I still get angry at myself about it sometimes. Although, to be fair, that board is still technically working (it just sucks balls).

For something more current: I still, to this day, forget to put the IO plate in the case before installing the motherboard. I forget at least half of the time. I must have done it dozens of times, my brain just refuses to remember about the IO plate.

12. David

I have done that before. I once failed to notice it until after I had spent hours on cable management and fitting a full watercooling loop.

It was at least a month before I could work up the energy to strip it all down again.

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Spent 2 hours putting a rig together for a friend at his flat, as he'd spent a small fortune on it and I'd never fitted an aio before i didn't want the slightest risk of chebbing anything. And it was the original h50 with the giant hsf pump unit. It booted up fine and he said he didn't realise it would take so long, so i told him it was because I went slow in case I broke something. "Oh don't worry about that l, I got the scansure insurance" :duh:

Not removed a hsf protector. Plumbed the res to the out port when I modded an aio, the noise was unpleasant to say the least, but it worked well for years after connecting it the right way round. Shredded my fingers on a scythe ninja numerous times. Broke an m5g knocking some caps out with the aio hsf. Whilst sorting some issues with my brothers pc I saw some things I really wish I hadn't, he could have run his own site with his stash and it was even categorised in great detail :blush:

14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I'm sure most have bricked a Dfi mobi at some point, I know I managed two in a row a number of years back. :)

15. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

That moment when you realise you've used dd and accidentally transposed if= and of=.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I did this once, but with ntfsclone - which is slightly more forgivable as it doesn't require any suffixes and relies entirely upon the order in which the drives are listed in the command *and* does it backwards (target source) to the way I write dd commands (source target).

17. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

Sleeping psu cables and flipped the 12v/5v molex around and fried 2 brand new 300gb SATA drives just when they first came out.... Doh that one scared me.

Managed to RMA them without issue mind!!

18. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Sleeping ? :D

19. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Cables get tired too.

20. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

In the late 90's I once saw my boss at the time dribble into an open computer right in front of the owner, who had brought it in with a problem.

He just slurped, wiped the motherboard with his handkerchief and carried rabbiting on, seemingly oblivious to the look of disbelief on the owners face. :hehe: