1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Am I screwing anything up here?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cthippo, 19 Aug 2016.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

So, after probably a dozen years, it's time to build a new computer.

Design considerations: This machine will be my primary desktop and I'm looking for something reasonably powerful, but also fairly quiet as it will be running 24/7 in my living space. Longevity and future proofing are also important as I plan to be using this machine for at least 5 years. Usage will be mostly general Web surfing, light gaming (War Thunder, probably) and occasional video editing. That sets up two competing issues for the CPU since WT is single core performance dependent, but for video rendering the more cores the better. I will not be overclocking. I will be running Windows 7 until that becomes non-viable at which point I will probably go linux.

Here are the specs I've come up with so far.

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4. Bit gave it a good review and Newegg has it on sale.

CPU: I specced an i7-5280k, but I'm having trouble with the $400 price tag. Is there a better price / performance part out there I should be considering?

Memory: I had originally specced a Corsair 16 GB (2×8GB) DDR4- 2133 kit, but it appears to no longer be available. I would prefer more memory over better memory without going overboard. Does this mobo need some specific memory configuration?

GPU: I originally selected a EVGA GT1 960, but it is no longer available. Looking for a good price / performance compromise based on Nvidia silicon that is also reasonably quiet.

Storage: Samsung 950 pro 256 GB PCIe 3.0 x4. 256 GB is enough for my needs and while I don't need the extra speed of the PCIe part, having the drive mounted to the Mobo seems like a good idea. Checking the Mobo specs I think this drive is compatible, but I would appreciate confirmation.

Cooler: Nocturnal NH-D15. Bit seems to like it, it's supposed to be very quiet, and according to the published specs it will fit in the case.

Case: Fractal Define S ATX mid tower. One of my design goals is to mount the things I actually need to get to (optical drive, drive bays, USB ports, etc into the desk and so the only time I will touch the case is to turn the computer on. As such, I want a quiet, plain, and unobtrusive case.

PSU: I specced a Cooler master V550, but it is now out of stock. Looking for suggestions for a quiet, effiecient, and not overpowered PSU.

Any input greatly appreciated:thumb:

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The 5820k and X99 both use quad channel memory. So 4x4 is the most popular configuration.

GPU - RX 480 or GTX 1060.

Cthippo likes this.
  3. Cthippo

Ah, that is useful information on the memory! Thanks!

RE: GPUs, aren't those both currently the top of their respective lines? Why those over a generation back?

4. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Sorry but X99 + RX 480 / GTX 1060 just seems like a weird combination.

Get an i5 / i7 Skylake based system, will cost less and should allow for a GTX 1070 in the same budget. DDR4 too, albeit dual channel.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

If you use the PCIE drive Windows 7 is basically none viable ( you will need 2 pcs to use Windows 7) as you can not directly install to it.

You will need to search for the drivers so Windows can actually detect the drive and hope it installs properly with the correct boot properties. You need to put the x32 and x64 drivers on a flash drive then load the drivers. And hope it wants to recognise the nvm drive.

Latest version of Ubuntu has full support.

Cthippo likes this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Why? usually when people need a powerful highly threaded CPU they don't need a gaming graphics card. Bindi had a 5960x and something like a GTX 950 in his rig.

7. Jimmy6

Jimmy6 What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I've just been in a similar position to you. In terms of the quiet case, the Define R5 should be a bit quieter than the Define S whilst keeping the same understated looks. They're both good cases, but the Define S is more suited to watercooling.

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

What programs are you using to do video editing? The couple of benchmarks I've seen show the 5820 naturally ahead of the 6700k, but it doesn't seem like it's massively ahead. Here and here.

At a guess, the skylake system would use less power/run cooler, you have the benefit of built in GPU should yours stop working or you decide you no longer need it. More than likely faster in WT, and if you're doing some video converting it's got Quicksync if ( big if ) it suits your needs.

Basically, everything hinges on the video work so more info would be good :)

Unfortunately I'm not sure how the platforms compare for 5820k/6700k and also the newer broadwell-e.

9. Cthippo

Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it:thumb:

OK, so better to go with a SATA SSD then?

I was wondering the same thing. I can handle "Seems weird" so long as it works :thumb:

I took a look at the R5 after reading your post and it looks like the R comes with more drive bays and costs $30 more.

Pathetic though it may be, I actually use Windows Movie Maker. I've tried several other video editing programs, but haven't been able to figure out the UI on them.

So having taken in your input, this is what I'm now thinking (though I still need to research some things). Purple items have changed from original specs.

CPU: i7-5280k
    Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme 4
    Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4 2133
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
    SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550W 80+ GOLD Fully Modular
    CPU cooler: Nocturnal NH-D15
    Case: Fractal Define S ATX

10. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I saw Gaming > Video editing in his first post, I figured a skylake system with better GPU would be an all round more suitable system and probably cost the same / slightly less, X99 imo is pointless unless A. Money to burn, or B. Heavy rendering. The skylake CPU's have cracking performance for the money.

11. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

If you want quite, an AIO water cooling system with some deep silence fans is a very hard pairing to beat for noise and effective cooling.

Sent from Bittech Android app

12. danielleil

danielleil Can't stop spending...

I would go for a GTX980Ti, great price reductions after release of 1080. I would also be checking the compatibility of the Noctua cooler (which is huge) against your planned mid tower case.

13. Cthippo

I actually did check cooler clearance with the define and it's tight, but according to the specs it should fit. I'll take a look at the 980s.

14. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

This has saved my arse on a couple of occasions now, so despite thinking it was pointless extra expense when they first started sticking the iGPUs in everything, now I quite like the idea. It's a useful backup.

15. Cthippo

Dumb question here, but I would rather ask it than be wrong...

Do Intel retail CPUs come with thermal paste in the box or do I have to order it separately?

Ordered the CPU today maybe the cooler next payday. Maybe.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That was more due to the fact I didn't pay for the 5960X *cough* Otherwise I'd have bought a 4790K for the clock freq.

If I was buying I'd wait for an upcoming 7700K/Z270 in 3 months, over 5xxx/X99 - the stock 7700 speed is well upwards of 4GHz so your single threaded performance will be excellent. Yea you lose cores but, meh, you're doing Movie Maker so it doesn't sound like a professional activity where you're anticipating to save hours through extra cores. If you're sticking on Win 7 though, I guess X99 is "safer" as long as the board is a 2016 refresh for Broadwell-E, otherwise you'll be buying something designed in 2014.

EDIT: Extreme 4 "Tom's Hardware 2014 Approved" fuuuuuck that dude. I have an R5E and it's missing a few latest UEFI and board features. Unless you're going for a "II" board ($50 more expensive), go 6700K + ~$120 Z170 + 2x8GB DDR4 + GTX 1070. That'll last you 5 years of gaming.

EDIT2: Noctua coolers come with thermal paste, CPUs do not.

EDIT3: 20% off cable mod cables with ASUS MBs: https://asus.cablemod.com/

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Sep 2016
  17. Vault-Tec

First thing I had to do was disable UEFI when I got my Alienware lol. It wouldn't see my RAIDR no matter what I tried :(

Cable mod cables are a bit pony tbh. Well, unless their pre made cables are better than their single cables. I bought some and they were about 2/3 the size of my other braided cables so my combs kept falling off :(

18. Cthippo

Thanks for the info on the paste, VT.

I've already got the Mobo and case, and the CPU is on order, so I'm kind of committed now. The case is windowless and is only being modified such that I never have to touch it. The card reader, optical drive, and probably even the power button are all going to be built into the desk itself.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This is true, I was disappointed by the thickness.

20. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Watch this space ;). I'll be offering something shortly with bit-tech discount once I've sent some samples out and cleared it with the mods.