1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. veato

veato I should be working

Two words...

Testicle. Infection.

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Delivery minion or kind friend?

Veato, you have my sympathy on that one coolpacks in a towel under your for want of a better work, sack.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've got this student sized spot about 15mm down and to the right of my bottom lip. It's like a third lip FFS it's so big the inside of my mouth is swollen too.

And bugger me is it painful, had me up at 7am.

4. Valo

Valo Minimodder

Got a job rejection message today.

Got really wound up in an interview - result 'You're not technically strong enough for the position', even though I knew exactly what I screwed up and what I could have done better the moment we ended the call

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

At last!

And surprising based on your terrible judgement of value *cough fire serpent for redline cough*

6. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

If someone looks in as an outsider on my life, everything looks fine. I have a job, three wonderful children, awesome best friend and a decent amount of spare money to do what I want with.

And yet, I still don't feel happy.

There is so little to do at my job at the minute I am literally getting paid to sit in my chair and stare at my PC for 8 hours a day. This probably sounds good to everyone else, but the boredom is off the chart. It gives my mind far too much time to dwell on things and over think.

And in an attempt to combat the 'down' I'm having, I throw money at things like there's no tomorrow. New PC part just come out? I'll have three. Friend or relative having money issues? Here, have some money. Pay me back? Nah, doesn't matter.

It all just feels so futile.

Moan over :D

Last edited: 24 Aug 2016
  7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Corporate contracted travel agents that apparently don't understand corporate travel, and assume everyone is trying to pull a fast one have wasted a fair bit of my time yesterday afternoon and this morning.

Booked a flight yesterday for tomorrow afternoon, but only after I got past the big red letters saying "HEY JACKASS, DON'T YOU KNOW YOU SHOULD HAVE 14 DAYS NOTICE FOR THE BEST PRICES". As I don't have access to a time machine at this particular time to tell my 2-week-ago-self that I'll need to go to Amsterdam tomorrow, I choose to disregard.

The booking failed

This often happens because of a change in fare between picking a flight and confirming the booking, and the flight is simply re-booked at the new rate. This time it was not. I emailed and asked about it, response was pretty much "what flights? can you call us on 123456789 option 1.

I call, option 1 is to reset a password - awesome. I call again, option 2 gets me through to a human after holding for a while. Wrong department, but they kindly put me through to the right one, hold for a while longer before getting cut off. I email again say, screw you guys, you call me (I may have paraphrased). They call back but I'm on a phone call I'm unable to cut short.

They leave a message telling me to call back on 123456789 option 1, to reset my password again presumably. I call back, thinking I won't be holding as long this time because it's no longer peak lunch time. I'm wrong. Holding for 10 minues, wrong department, holding for another 10 minutes. Finally talk to someone, explain what's going on, they have to go check on something, holding for another 5 minutes. The thing that's just wasted nearly an hour of my time so far: The cost of the flight went up by £18 between choosing and ticketing. £18.

I say, book it you idiots. They say okay. I hang up.

I get an email shortly thereafter from an entirely different idiot saying that in the time they've wasted not booking the flight to start with, it's gone up by another £8. Can I call 123456789 option 1 to reset my password confirm again. I tell them that if they really want to talk to me then they can call me, otherwise just book it you idiots. Shortly thereafter I get booking confirmation from the airline, so it appears they decided they probably didn't need to talk to me again. This suits me.

I get another email this morning, asking me to call them on 123456789 option 1 to reset my password arrange to re-book again. I already have my boarding pass, I choose to ignore.

This is the latest in a long string of idiocy, but the first time it's wasted quite so much of my time. Being a third party of course, my time is worthless to them, so if they can waste 90 minutes of my time and save £18, then hey, they saved £18.

My favourite is the "intelligence" they use to suggest a preferred flight when you enter dates and to/from, which seems to "select the cheapest regardless of routing and times", I hope there's a report somewhere with a thousand black marks against my name for going off piste. The preferred flight this time was via a stop in CDG, 5 hours travel time - no. The best one I've had was when the preferred flight to Riyadh was via an overnight stop in Beirut, which would have saved a whole £100, minus the cost of an overnight stay and armed security for the duration of course.

/rant.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2016
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

At least you get to speak to actual human beings with your corporate travel. I've not had to fly anywhere with the clowns we use, rail tickets and hotels are bad enough.

9. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Had a bit of a tits up with our rent. A strange predicament. Basically, we gave a deposit when me moved into our first place in 2009, we've moved a couple times since then (family got bigger, needed more room etc) until we got into this place we're in. Our estate agent said we can take the deposit with us, they're really cool like that. Turns out we might be moving again so we sorted out our paperwork, looked online at the deposit DPS account and.....it's gone. The deposit is gone, taken out by our estate agent a few years ago. Didn't check before, never needed to. Without it, we're hard pressed to move. Lady I spoke to on the phone said they have no business doing it, and it could be classed as fraud.

I gave my estate agent a chance and they sorted it out - the guy who runs it is an old friend of my dad's from High School about 35 years ago, so he wanted to help. However, he was not pleased. He said it shouldn't have happened and someone and I quote "Seriously F***ed up" as they aren't technically allowed to touch it as it's protected by the DPS. All's well that ends well, but after 5 years, you legally have no right to the money - glad we sorted it out before that.

10. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

So much back pain today, I can barely move out of bed. I'm out of breath after walking to the bathroom and back. Can't get an appointment at the docs until tomorrow morning and I'm not expecting them to do much, they haven't in the past - low grade painkillers that don't do much, referral to physio that takes 4 months and when I get there all they do is give me a bad photocopied "exercise" sheet that I can't do because of the pain.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Is there a walk-in centre you can stagger into? Normally end up at my local one as my GP is equally hopeless...

12. Almightyrastus

Walk in centre is next on the list depending on what the docs do tomorrow.

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Godspeed.

14. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Pretty unconfident I'm not going to get the loan amount I want.. or the loan at all for that matter!

Mums bugging me to sell the car anyway like its a dead given (Yeah i can afford the repayments without noticing the money leave my account) but I just don't see it happening... maybe I'm being a pessimist.

Also tattoo pealing... god its itchy and its so hard fighting the urge!

15. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Put some Bepanthen on that.

16. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

One day you will be able to get through a sentence without bringing that up. One day.

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

failing pc [again] and annual birthday season depression...

Someone wake me up in late September when this **** is all over...

18. Almightyrastus

Thanks buddy, so far the new cocktail of pain meds seems to be doing a good job of taking the edge off things.

19. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Should take it with me at all times, worked a treat once i finished!

20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've totally got a man hole cover but the postman is due any minute :S