1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by iancowell, 9 Aug 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Ah is it thanks.

2. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Played the game for a few hours yesterday. Allow me to preface this by saying that I played the gog version of a friend who was over. Also I did not follow the development of this game at all. So I care neither about the price nor about the hype.

Exploring the first planet was magical I got to say. I found a cute little dog with giant fins on its back. After feeding it some iron the dog foudn some rare elements for me. Really cute. The first launch was awesome as well. The game does a neat job in giving you a sense for the vasteness of space.

It all turned into a giant turd once I reached the first space station though. Some design decisions in No Man's Sky are just mind boggling, especially the inventory. So I went up to this robot alien that wanted some rare minerals from me. Cool, I even got some Thamium9 that I can give to the alien. It's on my ship since its fuel for the propulsion system. It's no problem if I just run over to my ship and give some to you, right?

WRONG! Appearently you have to bring everything you own with you to the aliens you meet. Unfortunately you cannot do that since after installing a few upgrades you have maybe eight empty slots left. And one of them has to be empty or you cannot even speak to the alien.

At the next space station the same damn thing happened. This time the alien wanted some Plutonium, which I had as well - on my ship. Both times I lost some standing with the Alien faction.

Have the devs ever played their own game? And if yes, how do they find this kind of tedious guess work fun?

Too bad, really. Wake me up when there is a mod that quadruples your inventory space, until then I am done with the game.

3. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

mate, if you right click the alien you can then get the minerals from your ship into your inventory and he will still be there waiting for you to answer that question.

also the vortex cubes can stack :p as well as those pesky carite sheets, just dismantle something with multiple carite sheet, then you will have a 100 stack of sheets forever if you play it right, plus carite sheets are 10 to the dozen as iron is so p[lentiful even on low resource planets.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have yet to figure out how to stack. When I click on it then on a Caritte sheet nothing more seems to happen.

5. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

it only occurs when you dismantle something that has the item in multiple quantities, then keep hold of that stack and never sell it

i currently have something like 30 carite sheets in one stack, saves a lot of time when jumping to a new ship :p

6. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Liking that tip @daveypro

7. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Another good tip:

When using upgrades place them next to the item or in rows from the item as it boosts their effects the more that surround it of the same type (look at the coloured boxes around groups of upgrades)
    beam=green
    cannon=red
    sheilds=yellow etc etc
    [​IMG]

works on ship/suit & multitool

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Good lord, that looks hideous, and it has put paid to any lingering doubts about my decision not to get this game.

9. GravitySmacked

Is it possible to move any of the ships subsystems/upgrades in the inventory? I don't think there is but wondering if anyone has figured a way.

10. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Nope, not that I've found. Annoying as there are upgrades that I'd like to add but can't get them arranged properly.

11. GravitySmacked

Shame, it seems like something that should be implemented.

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The upgrades you can trash and rebuild. I think the base equipment is in the same location for every ship, though I may just have had good luck with traded/salvaged ships.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

So the saves are not cloud based then as I have just installed windows 10, fired up the game and I am at the beginning which I find odd as all the files would have been in the same place and I know that the saves are kept in the NMS folder as I have deleted that so I could restart the game but I assumed they would also be cloud based.

14. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

If you did an in-place reinstall or an upgrade install of w10 you could try pulling the save files out of the Windows.old\users\{user}\whatever folder and sticking them back in place to see if the game picks them up again.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Anything similar to this game but with a bit more purpose?

16. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

17. oscy

oscy Modder

The closest ones I know are Starflight 1 and 2, which are old games, and the planet exploration in Mass Effect 1.

There are lots of game that do the exploring and trading shtick but out in space, like the X series and Freelancer.

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have spent the last couple of hours mining gold but it is very tedious and I still am only up to just over a million units. Oh joy I also found a damaged ship which would have given me one extra slot but cost a fortune to repair. I think i will buy a better one.

19. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

some more tips, i dont bother with the photon cannon, full beam addons take out 6 or more pirates with the shield barely used, and i am not the best flyer in the world (K&M)

the stacking addons works real well, apply it to exosuit and hand tool as well, mining is so much quicker with all the beam addons next to each other

i have maxed it all out now and a little bit meh about getting to the centre, wondering what the patch we are getting next week will be like, supposedly more content?

mine the sentinels for titanium, very handy in space fights against pirates to replenish shield

when answering the distress call in space, choose your targets very wisely, i didnt and was zapped by 26 pirates AND half a dozen bloody sentinel ships.

my extreme survival milestone doesnt want to go past 3.2 ( i want 5) for the next polo chat, and i am stood on a -97oC planet.

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

How do you move the addons as I came across this tip earlier but cannot seem to be able to find out how?