1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice 1st new PC since 08, first build. Help please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jimmy6, 16 Aug 2016.

1. Jimmy6

Jimmy6 What's a Dremel?

I'd just like to thank you all for your recommendations. I've bitten the bullet and gone for an ATX build in a Dark Base 900 case. Feeling confident when I got the credit card out, so I've bought an EK cooling kit with a 360mm rad to cool the CPU initially. I managed to find it for only 20% more than a Corsair AIO 240mm cooler, so it seemed like a no brainer. I'll see how I get on with it; no doubt I'll be expanding the loop to include the GPU in no time! Either that or I'll be hastily mopping coolant out the bottom of the case...

Here's what I ended up going with.

Be quiet! Dark Base 900
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    ASUS Maximus Hero Alpha
    Samsung 950Pro 512
    EVGA Supernova G2 Gold 750W (more than I need, but it's quiet and efficient. On sale too!)
    32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz ram (overkill, but was similar price to 16Gb of slower ram)
    EK P360 cooling kit.

Looking forward to throwing it together!

Thanks again
    Jimmy

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Post pics! I'd like to see the EK kit in that Dark Base.

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Proper build that, on paper looks spot on.

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

RAM prices are very strange, aren't they. Chart them on a monthly timeline and it looks like the goddamn stock market during wartime.

5. Jimmy6

Jimmy6 What's a Dremel?

Will do, but it'll be a while before I get enough time to sit down and build it. Kids and work...

6. Jimmy6

Jimmy6 What's a Dremel?

OK, here goes with the saga!

First impressions - I love the new shiny toy. The case is huge, but massively adjustable. I have taken out all the drive bays and lowered the mobo tray to its lowest setting. It seems well built with some nice touches like the fan controller and literally tonnes of layout options. Quiet too.

So here goes. Go easy on me - it's my first build ever, let alone go at water cooling. All comments and criticism will be gratefully received!

[​IMG]

Things I will change when I get time:

I plan to reverse the radiator and put 90deg fittings so the inlet/outlets are at the back of the case. I can't put it that way around at present because of the rear 140mm fan getting in the way. Not unless I put it "halfway" mounted with the inlets above the CPU block.

I'm going to get a GPU waterblock and add it to the loop pretty soon (when the bank balance recovers) with potentially another radiator in the front. I'm not sure if it will be necessary though - a 360mm should be adequate, but more is better - right? :D If I do go down that route I will go no bigger than a 280 at front, but I think I'll try a slim one so as not to interfere too much with the pump/res combo. Or I could move it too, not sure yet.

[​IMG]

I'm toying with the idea of rigid tubing when I get around to it. I'm happy with the performance so far, but I know I can make it look tidier. I was just about to get onto tidying up the cabling when...... bam, the motherboard died. Damn thing wouldn't POST despite CMOS clears, resetting literally everything and reflashing 4 different versions of the BIOS. Oh well, it was posted back to the vendor this morning, but this being Oz, I expect to be without if for 2 weeks. :wallbash:

So there goes. I heartily recommend anyone who is interested, yet reluctant, in building a system to give it a go. I've had a lot of fun (except the dead mobo!) and can't wait to get a new one and upgrade the loop. It might even be nice to spend some time gaming on it too!

Cheers all.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nice kit and WC'd setup. Defo needs some 90 degree's in there and if you're gonna drain it for that you might as well go hard tube + some more angular barbs for hard tubing unless you want to try bending.

That's a lot of fans though! Where are they all wired?

8. Jimmy6

Jimmy6 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, definitely going to get some 90s. I'm going to give bending a go - what's the worst that could happen! I've got enough flexi tubing left if it all goes wrong.

I just kept the fans in the case at present because they came with it. I figured since the GPU is still air cooled it was best to keep some fans? The 3x120s in the rad go to a y-splitter and I connected them to the CPU fan connector. The 3x140 case fans go to the fan controller behind the mobo and are connected to one of the board's pwm connectors. That way, I can leave them on auto or use the slider on the front of the case to control them. Does that sound sensible, or am I missing something?

9. Jimmy6

Jimmy6 What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I've finally got my replacement CPU (turns out it wasn't the mobo) back and put my build together. Whilst I was waiting for the replacement to arrive I decided to try my hand at rigid tubing. I'm pretty happy with the results; I know the tubes aren't precisely parallel but I only notice with the window off and when looking directly from the side.

[​IMG]

As for the kit, I am wondering why the hell there isn't a PSU shroud that would hide all the cables at the bottom! I may build one myself, or I may just put it beside my desk and forget about it!

[​IMG]

Thanks again for all the support and help choosing my components.

10. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Still looks really good, even if they aren't completely parallel. :)

11. Thaifood

Thaifood Minimodder

a sexy piece of hardware :)

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Looking good man. RE - fans. I built my first ever proper water cooled rig recently and I found I could drop all of them to 7v and only gained about 3c. So this rig is amazingly silent (almost too much so, I have to keep looking down to make sure it's on !) and temps are insane :D

13. Xaine

Xaine Death... destroyer of brain cells

Haven't got time to read all the replies just at this moment, but for case on your budget I'd look at the inwin cases, real nice contemporary type feel, classy tempered glass and polished steel, omnomnom

Edit: ak, as page loaded I saw first few lines of the post, ignore my comment lolol