1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 19 Aug 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

looking at the gameplay of this the thing that stands out the most to me is that they have improved the environments alot but the human modals are really out dated looking and stand out really bad compared to the rest of the game. Looks like there faces are from 2008

Last edited: 20 Aug 2016
  3. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

While playing it, I didn't notice this. Graphics all seem a bit step up.

4. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

Have you played to the end of the campaign Jake? A few other reviews have noted that the end is blunt, short, tells you none of the answers to questions that have been asked throughout the campaign, and well..it's crap. Any thoughts?

5. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

That's the thing stopping me from supporting Man Dvd FC at the moment...The season pass, along with the above comment, confirms my worries that the nature of that content delivery won't mix will with a narrative-driven RPG.

In fact...I'd be happier if points were automatically knocked off the score of any game that has a season pass. Since publishers know how to manipulate the capacity for deferred gratification in kids, perhaps it's up to the games journalist to send the message that they can shove their season pass up their tight arses.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

So Witcher 3 loses points in your eyes cause it has a season pass? LOL

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

No, because Witcher 3 is an enormous, well finished and above all complete game in it's own right. The extra campaigns are just that, extras.

When a game is obviously and shamelessly cut up for the purpose of selling it in chunks, meaning you pay full price for two thirds or half of the game, then it loses marks.

8. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

What it's meant to combat is the normalisation of the practise so it doesn't matter how good the game is. If the core game is that meaty then there's plenty to get stuck in to; Extra content, for the entirely dreamt-up, malleable scenario, can wait for the sequel with all the other enhancements so that consumers aren't pushing £60-£100 for a complete game on release. Even now, 15 months after release, the non-sale price of The Witcher 3 content is £55.

Also, Horse Armour.

9. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

So you're allowed to write what you want, but any screenshots other than theirs could contain spoilers?

10. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

I don't even have words for how stupid I think this is.

(There were a few things I couldn't write about, but nothing I would have used in the review as they are quite literally ending spoilers/major plot twists.)

11. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Booked the day off work to play the game.... game doesn't become playable until 5pm in the UK on Steam :(

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You need an Aussie IP ;)

13. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

We're using our own screenshots now. What a silly NDA.

14. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

DAMMIT!!

Steam is unpacking the files as I write this :D

15. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I like the Bit-tech review in general and am enjoying the Game very much but am a little disappointed to see no mention of the stupid micro-transaction store that infects the game.

While if you choose not to use it, it has no direct impact to the game/story progression, to me this represents a worrying trend for full price 'triple A' (I cringe at that term fyi) games. And for the people who do choose to use the store to buy Praxis Kits and Credit Bundles, they will ruin the pacing of the game and your access to Augs and Weapons. So either it is just optional for the lazy or the game has been specifically designed to encourage you to shortcut and then I really would take issue with it for spoiling the experiences.
    Either way, i'm not sure why you guys neglected to mention this controversial feature of the game?

Frankly, it's lazy and greedy and I feel Squeenix should be marked down for its inclusion! Let alone the recent news that the Day 1 edition content is also 1 time use :S

In general the Bit-Tech reviews are well written and full of enthusiasm one way or the other but I can't quite shake the feeling that they are also a bit 'light' and don't quite cover off all the 'features' that are often central to the very mixed users reviews. Almost like they are written to be as neutral and in-offensive as possible?

You are bang on the money about one thing though, for the most part they have captured the spirit of Deus Ex very well.

specifically:
    'Make no mistake, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided feels exactly like a Deus Ex game. There are conspiracies, augments and people sitting in dark rooms discussing sinister schemes. Human Revolution protagonist Adam Jensen returns, again working for a big company that may or may not be on the level while you, the player, try to decide if this playthrough is going to be non-lethal or a one way ticket to Murder Town. '
    Perfect!

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I don't like microtransactions in a full-price game, and I won't use 'em as a matter of principle, but to say that they're evidence that either the game has been "specifically designed to encourage you to shortcut" or buying 'em will "spoil the experience" kinda ignores that this sort of thing has been available since the dawn of gaming - except back then they were free and called 'cheats.' idkfa, anyone?

17. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Do you not think there is a distinction between some players going out of their way to use the dev console to 'cheat' and a developer/publisher cashing in on it with mirco transactions in a game that is a full price retail release?

RE the point of Evidence, I'm not saying they have definitely designed it that way, just it's a slippery slope and if successful, we will see more and more which I believe will lead on to it. In general, these type of micro transactions, are by there very nature designed to temp the use of them.
    Do you not worry it will ruin an otherwise finely crafted experience that some SP games have to offer? Imagine if the Wither 3 had in-game shopping to buy 'level up points' with £9.99 getting you access to level 20 from the start, for example.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Who said anything about a dev console? "IDKFA" typed at any time in a game of Doom gave you all weapons, keys, and ammo. The Konami Code gave you 30 lives in Contra. Up, up, down, down, up, up, up, up gave you a level select in Sonic. None of these required you to go out of your way or access a dev console.

Want an example that actually cost money? Infocom and Sierra both used to sell hint books for their games; both Nintendo and Sega used to run 'tip lines' where you could pay 50p a minute to get advice and cheats for games. This is in no way new.

19. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

I don't really have an issue with a microtransaction store, but would have mentioned it if it had been available in the build I played.

Because we play games often a week or two before launch, some online functionality is often disabled/in the process of being switched on as we play through the game.

This trend is already happening anyway, Dead Space 3 allowed you to pay real cash to upgrade your weapons and gear.

Last edited: 26 Aug 2016
  20. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Tags: Add Tags