1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Eve Online going free-to-play in November

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Sep 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Clearly! As another clarification: while "murder" and "murdering " are terms very commonly used to describe the act of killing another living being, when I say "I could murder a curry" I am in fact simply stating that I am hungry and have a particular yearning for spiced dishes originating in the east, not that I am planning to kill any person or thing. Just wanted to make sure you understood that! ;)

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: I tried to play Eve Online once. Spent a few hours trying to get it running on Linux, failed, struggled to get it running on Windows, then when the damn thing had finally decided to install and boot without crashing the servers told me they were down, so I gave up and played Nethack instead.

Might stick my head in when November rolls around, see what I've been missing for 13 years. Assuming I can get the damn thing to run...

2. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Cheers for explaining how the same word can have many different uses. I do understand but don't see how it's relevant here. "Hooking" someone on the basis of posting something divisive is exactly the same whether it's done on Twitter, Facebook or digital or printed media. It's exactly the same thing, unlike "murdering a Chinese" for example.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Wow. I thought you were kidding about not understanding humour, but clearly not.

Okay, let's break this down.

When someone's trolling and a person reacts, that's known as a "bite," right - as the terms all come from fishing ("baiting" a "hook", "trolling" for a "bite"). You know that, as you've demonstrated, so that's a good start.

If I had been trolling and had deliberately posted a provocative "hook" in the article (as you appear to be suggesting I do, having said you dislike articles being "laced" with "hooks", apparent evidence of which you are free to supply in support of such a claim) then someone reacting angrily would have been a "bite" - or, in other words, I would have "hooked" them with my "bait." I'm going to assume you know this too, so let's move on to the actual humour.

As I wasn't trolling and did not deliberately post a provocative "hook" in the article, someone reacting angrily would have been an unintended consequence. It would also have been, from the angry someone's perspective, entirely indistinguishable from the above scenario. I would have "hooked" them but completely without meaning to.

If you're still struggling to understand, let's try a real-world "meatspace" example. Let's say Bill is out on his bike, and he nearly collides with a good friend of his but misses by swerving at the last minute. They're both absolutely fine, Bill can see that, and with a smile Bill says "don't worry, I'll get you next time!"

Now, in this scenario, please tell me: from Bill's comment, do you believe that he intended to deliberately injure his friend, or that he intends to deliberately injure his friend in the future?

4. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Gareth, I understand humour perfectly well, it's just that I don't see any in your posts. I see plenty of condecending language but nothing funny. :confused:

5. Gareth Halfacree

And now it looks like you're the one trolling. Oh, and it's "condescending." (What? He already thinks I'm "condecending," I might as well correct his spelling while I'm at it.)

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

What are you doing?

7. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I can't help but find it amusing that your post about being relieved by not having an angry player burst into a triad over the joke has now resulted in an argument about the post of your relief. :hehe:

8. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

So, I haven't played eve on-line for years and years now (despite being there from the start!), by lapsed account becoming alpha clones, I presume that means accounts like mine. If you pay the monthly fee, does it revert your clone to an Omega Clone?

Yes the game is one big spreadsheet but it's complexity and player driven economy combined with good PVP was the appeal. Like many I found it akin to a second job, which became an issue as my life responsibility increased and I got older.

I presume the move to free-to play is in part due to decline in the player base?

9. Gareth Halfacree

The joys of the bottom half of the internet, eh? Now if only I was paid by the forum post, I'd be laughing!
    Oh, god, an on-topic post? You've wandered far from home, my friend...

No, but seriously: in November all accounts will become Clones. Lapsed accounts will become Alpha Clones with restrictions in place; currently-live paid accounts will become Omega Clones with no restrictions. If you stop paying, your Omega Clone will become an Alpha Clone; any skills you have that aren't allowed for Alpha Clones will remain but be disabled. If you start paying again, your Alpha Clone becomes an Omega Clone and your dormant, locked skills become usable again.

10. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

:confused:

I'm not trolling you Gareth, and there you go again. Sure, I spelled a word wrong. So what? :)

Never mind, I'll stick to articles by other writers in future. Keep working on the "jokes" chap. :thumb:

11. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Heh well you know, I got and happily accepted the spreadsheet joke but now I am digressing...

That seems a good system for trying to draw more player back or keep existing ones from leaving and is certainly good if players can't or doesn't want to pay the monthly fee but I agree, the potential for griefing is high. Wonder how/if they will manage that aspect?

I may well give it a blast myself in November, if not just to see the changes and have a little look for nostalgia sake, can't imagine I would ever go back to (nor have the time for) a game that requires so much time. I have come to prefer round based games with fixed maximum time limits for my multiplayer fixes.

12. Gareth Halfacree

You mean you're not going to comment on any of my future articles?

Do... do you promise? Oh, what a wonderful end to the week! :clap:

13. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Zzzzzing! :hehe:

(Better but keep working at it.)

14. Gareth Halfacree

Now I'm confused. That wasn't supposed to be a joke. Are you now saying that you will be reading and commenting on my articles? Bah. I should have known it was too good to be true. :(