1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other 24pin, 8pin & 6pin extensions (a little bit-tech research)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by modd1uk, 2 Sep 2016.

1. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Ow do folks. I'm doing a little bit of market research so hopefully you wouldn't mind giving me some feedback.

Custom cable extensions in the UK seem quite hard to come by, if you had the option to buy 24pin, 8pin eps, 8pin pcie and 6pin pcie extensions (all 30cm to keep it simple and long enough for the larger cases) with the option of 26 colours including a few shades of green and about 6 shades of blue is it something that you'd be interested in?

The idea is to be able to supply extensions in 30cm that the buyer can fully customise colour / combination wise to suit their build perfectly and keep them at a reasonable price. In the interest of transparency it's something I'm looking into doing as I feel there's a place in the UK market for it if the price is right.

The reason I'm considering extensions is they are universal for any power supply, if you try and go with PSU replacement cables you can run into issues trying to source the connectors for the PSU and one wrong wire and its boom.

What sort of price would you as customers be willing to pay for PET sleeved extension cables :

24pin extension
    8pin EPS extension
    8pin PCIe extension
    6pin PCIe extension

If I do go ahead with these I will be offering free samples for feedback and a bit tech discount (if I can reach an agreement with the mods regarding it) this is all up in the air at the moment so don't shoot me down just yet mods pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

This isn't a for sale post, nor a gauging interest post it's more of a is it worth doing post.

In my head I've got about £10 + postage for a 24pin, I feel it's priced about right as it's customisable with regards to colour, shade and combination.

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I would have said £10 is significantly too cheap for a 24 pin, assuming you're using a good quality PET like MDPC-X/Teleios and would barely give a decent return for the time spent. I used to charge a fair bit more than that for MDPC-X sleeved extensions.

I take it you've costed everything out?

3. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Yeah I have a spreadsheet (everybody loves a good spreadsheet). The quality of the PET is very good, very very good in fact I am very impressed. I've a 24pin sat here made up of numerous different colours (ignore the cable combs they're too small but its all I had lying around). There is also brown and gold but I don't think i'd bother.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I think you're undervaluing them (and your time) probably, but at that price, or maybe £25 for a set or something, I think a few people would buy them.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I bought a CableMods full set for something like 60-70 quid for my Sesaonic, so I think you're undervaluing. Plus had to pay for combs separately and it doesn't look half as nice as those. They don't sit in the combs well at all compared to yours. I really like that second green-thru-pink set.
    A fully custom coloured extension kit is a very bespoke but also rather niche service imo.

6. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

The cablemods stuff is very thin in comparison, it's a shame as their quality isn't bad. The stuff I'm using is just shy of 4mm in total, I've a friend designing me some custom cable combs up before I fully commit.

At the start I'll be offering extensions only until I've had the time to get my hands on any proprietary connectors I might need to be able to build full replacement cables direct from the psu and the physical psu to be able to make pin out diagrams.

7. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

There's a few pin-out diagrams here. As you can see there's a few of mine included so I'm available for questions.

I'd highly recommend the Thermaltake Dr Power II PSU tester as I believe it's still the only one that'll also test the 8 pin PCI-E cable.

Most of the connectors at the PSU end aren't proprietary (standard molex) and fairly easy to get hold of.

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah I found Cablemods to be very skinny and incompatible with combs. The 6 and 8 pin extensions I sent you for the charity build were half and half. As for prices? I recently ordered a 6 pin and 8 pin GPU extension from a guy who calls himself To The Wire and he charged me £7.95 and £8.95 respectively. However, he made them custom with four 14 hole captive combs on for that price too.

I was happy enough with that :) Shakmods are about the cheapest half decent cable making company I know of but I will be using To The Wire in future because he uses paracord which I like much better than the plastic stuff.

9. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

You my friend will prove very useful in these coming weeks! :D

Yeah I've a friend designing up any amount of hole I needed, we're in the "print it and see if it fits" stage at the moment, gotta make sure they are perfect or whats the point, I've been looking into packaging etc as they will just fit as a large letter (2nd or 1st class recorded).

I like the paracord stuff that I've used before as it flexes easier, however its very easy to damage and pull a thread out. The PET stuff whilst not bending as easily its much more robust and not as easy to damage, I'll be starting out with the PET stuff to get off the ground.