1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SolidRun launches Braswell-based MicroSoMs, SolidPC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 22 Sep 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Looks interesting. Dual NICs in particular have me interested as a way to quiet (read: replace) my firewall as it is now the loudest part of my office.

I wonder if anyone will come up with a 'compute board' backplane-like carrier board, for plugging lots of these in at once. That could be fun, too. :D

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Exactly what I was thinking!

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Apparently the first units are hitting the UK tail end of next week, and my name's on the list for a review sample. I'll let you know how I get on with it!

5. Paradigm Shifter

Please do!

May I ask for a few potential benchmarks if you have any extra time?

6. Gareth Halfacree

Suggest away! Bear in mind I'll be focusing on Linux, though; I may stick a trial copy of Windows 10 on there just to check that it works, but most of the time it's going to be running Linux.

7. Paradigm Shifter

It'd be great if you could compile GROMACS from source and run the regression test suite. That'd be awesome. :) If you've got more time or energy, there are more complex tutorials that can be used as benchmarks, but they will likely take more time than you want to spend.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Looks like the regression tests are only available for 4.6.1, which is three years old. Is that the version you want testing?

9. Paradigm Shifter

If you download 5.1.4, then build with cmake using:

Code:
    cmake .. -DBUILD_OWN_FFTW=ON -DREGRESSIONTEST_DOWNLOAD=ON
    Then it'll download and build the regression tests for the latest version (5.1.4) during the build, which will then run with 'make check' once 'make -j x' has completed. :)

The "quick and dirty" install is usually sufficient for a decent idea of how they will perform. Once I've got an idea what these are capable of, then I'll worry about compiler choice, optimisation flags etc. :D

Thanks in advance. :)

10. Gareth Halfacree

I shall give it a go, as and when the thing turns up!

11. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

Could you test how well Mint 18 Cinnamon runs on it?

12. Gareth Halfacree

I'll be running Ubuntu 16.04.1, on which Mint 18 is based. Basically, if it runs Ubuntu 16.04.1 with the Unity desktop without a hitch, it'll have no problems with Mint 18 with the Cinnamon desktop.

13. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

I had hoped to find out if it ran Cinnamon desktop with graphics acceleration or if it fell back to software rendering , but no problem. :)

14. Gareth Halfacree

Unity is hardware-accelerated with software fallback, too; like I say, if it'll run Unity it'll run Cinnamon.

15. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

OK , that makes sense. :)

If you have a switch you could try the SolidRun as a router though i dare say most people spending that type of money would just buy a high end router.