1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Hands-on help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ceryni, 5 Oct 2016.

1. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

Hi all,

I have had intermittent problems with my PC, I'm hoping my upgrades and added UPS will help filter out some problems as I live on a narrowboat and power can be sketchy.

I was hoping to see if there was anyone near the Ely/Newmarket area that might be able to lend some hands-on advice regarding issues I've been having that I can't nail down.

If there is anyone out there that might be willing to travel or get picked up (expenses paid + beer) then I would be thrilled. There may be pizza involved.

Issues I have had: CPU issues, overheating, MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION errors, other instability problems, Storage space issues, etc.

I honestly don't have the time to spend trying to teach myself on the internet, when most of the time I don't honestly understand the building blocks, acronyms or other jargon used.
    I've come to terms with the fact that I do not know, what I am doing, at all.

I just want to game in peace with friends and pizza.

So if you like single malt, video games, boats and the outdoors, you might even enjoy the degrading task of helping out an idiot.

Mods: delete if inappropriate.

I will update this as my attempts at a re-build progress over the next few weeks.

2. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

i live near cambridge, ely not really that far.what exactly are the problems you are having? i have built like 3 or 4 rigs over the past 10 years or so. so i might be able to help but i'm certainly no expert.

3. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

The most frequent and maddening issue I have had is sudden BSOD reading MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. This is usually at random intervals, I've found the most common occurrence is playing Witcher 1 from memory. Though I might be wrong there!

This is incredibly generic so I have no idea what's caused it.
    CPU was sent to Scan and tested and they said that it posted and accessed BIOS fine so they're returning it to me.

4. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

could you list your pc specs

and i mean everything

cpu
    heatsink
    mobo
    ram
    power supply
    case
    hard drive
    optical drive

and anything else ive forgotten

5. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Also worth saying whether you've over-clocked the CPU. An unstable overclock is a regular culprit.

And, thinking about it, is this a recent affliction or has it done it since you built it?

6. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

I'm finishing some upgrades and maybe afterwards it will be sorted but if not I will come back with a full specs list.
    Previously
    G3258 @4.48GHZ (I didn't do the overclock, it was a board setting)
    Asus Maximus VII impact
    H60 (I think this might be faulty, TBC)
    16GB Crucial 1600mhz (2x8)
    EVGA 4GB GTX 670 Signature ed.
    EVGA G2 850W
    Corsair 250D case with 2 fans
    120GB SSD OCZ
    3TB 7200 hitachi HD

Now (not finished or even switched on yet):
    Stock 4790K
    Asus Maximus VII impact
    H60 (I think this might be faulty, TBC)
    16GB Crucial 1600mhz (2x8)
    EVGA 4GB GTX 670 Signature ed.
    EVGA G2 850W PSU
    Corsair 250D case with 2 fans
    500GB SSD Crucial
    3TB 7200 hitachi HD

It developed slowly and got worse, with or without overclock as I was concerned it was stability.
    CPU temp NEVER exceed 60C until it suddenly stopped altogether 6 months ago and I had no money or time to get it back in action. So I think I can rule out OC and thermal issues
    It was also more prone to issues doing certain tasks. For example I ended up compulsively quicksaving The Witcher as it seemed to crash every 10-15 mins playing on some days. But I could play Full Spec Metro2033, Last Light, and Far Cry 3 with no issues at all. Dead Island would run solid at 250fps! and Arma 3 on high. All at 1080.
    Strange.

The G3258 showed no issues posting when RMA'd with Scan. So I'm using that in an HTPC, and I'll know if I keep getting issues if it's definitely the CPU.

Other than that I don't have the knowledge or patience to keep fiddling and becoming increasingly disappointed and frustrated. I have so little time nowadays. It's all spent on the boat (liveaboard is housework housework housework.)

And now the replacement cooler I bought (H80i) is too big to fit because the ITX board has the extra add on bits to compensate for size! :/ I'm testing the H60 out one more time tonight to find out if the pump is actually working. Then I might need to start over.
    So fed up!

7. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

Double checked the H60 and its not working. My cpu climbs to 80C in seconds and I had to quickly shut it off. I really don't want to cook my new I7.

I looked on scan and can't get a new H60.

I need either a cheap but easy to install air cooler for the time being from Scan, or a reliable hydro cooler that's the same thickness rad as the H60 was, single fan .

Please help!

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

9. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Having used one, I wouldn't recommend the Seidon v2. The one i got is louder than a corsiar h100 or antec h1200 pro. h45 looks interesting though.

10. Elspuddy

Elspuddy Minimodder

Check to see if there is a new bios out for your main bord or look for a TPD setting, I've had three 4790k CPU that hit 90c no problem (folding, encoding a DVD , gaming) it turned out that a main bord setting was set wrong in the bios (wrong TPD was set)

11. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

This is exactly what Ive been looking for.
    I recently got a bequiet for my cube case and it's 2cm too tall (doh)

I'll be picking one of these up its safe to say, thanks

Thanks, I prefer corsair products so far so i was going to go h45. The tests seem to indicate it's better than my old h60 anyway.