1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Taking the plunge: installing Windows 10

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pete J, 12 Jul 2016.

1. jewelie

jewelie Ancient geek, newbie to BT

Under 7 I used to get those annoying video driver crashed errors even though the configuration I used was pretty simple (only use Windows for games.) Thought it might be hardware for a while but as the GTX960 I used only has 2Gb RAM I saw a suggestion to turn off Aero and the problem went. Now on 10 and 10 Anniversary I've never seen a single such crash without having to play with any options.

BTW The Anniversary Update.... check all your settings again, especially the privacy ones, it resets almost all of them! Grrrrrr.

2. jewelie

jewelie Ancient geek, newbie to BT

It's fixable but you have to do exactly what they tell and warn you NOT to do. Do NOT use the Windows 10 API to change the text scale, set that back to 100%, then go into the advanced options and old interface/API to do it (sorry, not a great description, but I'm in Linux right now so can't replicate the steps in front of me); even though it moans and barks at you for using a custom scaling resolution you're back to the old Win7 way of doing things and you won't get blur-o-vision scaling any more. :) Got that working right on 3 Windows 10 PCs and a Windows 10 tablet now. :)

Interestingly, if you do an upgrade from 7 rather than fresh install and already have such text scaling options set via the old interface/API then MS don't bugger with your settings during the upgrade.

I can't believe what a mess of this they made though - for anyone using TVs or who have visual problems and need to use older software they really messed up!

3. davvy76

davvy76 Minimodder

Cheers mate, I'll have a fiddle later....ooo er :D

It was supposed to be fixed in the redstone update but apparently they did something else more interesting instead!

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I have just discovered Windows 10 has a built in STL file viewer. This is big news for me.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Okay, so now this is pissing me off:

[​IMG]

Why do I have ads in my bloody start menu? Anyone know how to disable them? Bonus points if the method also sends a turd in an envelope to whoever wrote the piece of code that does it.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Press start, type "suggest".
    Best match will take you to the page that controls that sort of thing.
    (or Setting>Personalisation>Start>"Occasionally show suggestions...")

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Wolfticket's on the right lines. Just right click it to bring up options to turn off suggestions. Yet another crappy option I have to be aware of when I reinstall. I need to start compiling a Windows 10 fresh install to do list - it's getting that bad.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have got a folder with everything I need to do on install to get Windows 10 as close as possible to where I want it. But I really do not like this OS, I have had more BSOD'S in the short time I have had 10 than I got on the years I had Windows 7.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Windows 10 really gets up my nose.

After running SFC /scannow I get the message:
    "Windows Resourse protection found corrupt files but were unable to fix some of them."
    It then goes on to tell me where it has placed a log file. Which on opening it is so much double dutch you have to ask what the hell is the point because who undetsands this gibberish? Oh and the log is massive.

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

The latest 'patch' now means that I have to at least restart my HTPC twice to make wifi work. At LEAST twice...

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

It is a fantastic operating system. (Not).

13. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Not been at my PC for about 2/3 weeks... set it up again and what??!! Windows has essentially
    Reset itself!?
    As others have said, it WAS faster, it performed well etc. But to do an update that has reinstalled
    rubbish i took off and changed all my settings, task bar, start menu, everything.
    Not to mention restarting itself in the middle of copying files to my NAS. 1hr wasted.

So annoying.

14. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Ignore the log, it won't tell you anything of use unless you're really well versed in Microsoft error lingo. I'd now run
    Code:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    from an admin command prompt. That should fix anything the sfc command didn't. What exactly were you running the sfc for? (I have to admit I haven't fully read the thread :D)

Edit: The SFC log has always been the same. In every iteration of Windows since it was introduced.

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've just been offered Office 365 for about the thousandth time. Any one know how to stop that?

16. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Find the 'Get Office' app, right click, uninstall. If it eventually reinstalls itself, got to settings, system, notifications and actions, scroll down to the Get Office app and slide the slider to off.

17. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Uninstall Get office, or if you have an updated (older office version 2013 etc)

right click the notification (or long hold on a tablet) and turn it off:
    [​IMG]

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Yet another BSOD with Microsoft's obscure exception code which tells most of us nothing. Even Microsoft's advice on Googling only suggested running SFC /scannow as a reasonable intelligible item of help. If I was still running Windows 7 I would have reinstalled Windows but the amount of tweaking I need to do to get Windows 10 how I want it makes the prospect less attractive.
    But it will probably need to happen though I will try your suggestion in the mean time, thanks.

19. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Completely missed this post (dam faulty eyes).

DoNotSpy..... (it breaks parts of windows on purpose to stop telemetry tracking)...

A lot of simple, wise words have been said, and as usual apparently ignored. I repeat some:
    “Using such tools can eventually cause problems”
    “You cannot completely stop the spying of Windows 10”
    “There’s no privacy on the Internet”

And I add one also widely known but not mentioned so far:
    “Windows 10 isn’t the only spy around. Browsers, emails, many apps, even ISP providers are in strong competition”.

So, while recognizing it’s not what you want to hear, my advice is:
    1 Restrict yourself to the Windows 10 on-board means for maximizing privacy and leave third party tools alone.
    2 Don’t do on the Internet anything you want to keep secret.

In real life, you can’t always get what you want.

If you must edit windows settings have a look at https://github.com/hahndorf/Set-Privacy as it shows how and what it changes (without breaking windows).

It seems that most people who use the "easy hack tools/programs" are the ones constantly having issues whenever an update/upgrade rolls out.

The dism command may rescue your install (for the most part) but I would recommend a reinstall, just to be sure.

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

It is not so much a privacy issue but more of the crap that is bundled with Windows 10, I don't like, the tiles, the apps ETC ETC. I have bookmarked your link to use at a later date, thanks.