1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii / Wii U Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Guest-16, 20 Oct 2016.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

So, thoughts?

Interesting, certainly. Gimmicky, yes. 3rd parties, great!
    How many things will I have to charge? Each controller, and tablet portion..?
    Industrial design of the dock looks awful for a living room object. Controllers look nice, though. Not so fussed on the logo + huge text, but maybe that's just for video.

2. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

My first thoughts?

Getting one!

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I think it looks pretty cool!
    Basically a powerful tablet-esque device that has a dock/charger unit that outputs to a TV?

4. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

Looks pretty good to me, I like the docking station but it would probably be nice sitting on top of a console table or side cabinet rather than under the TV, theres a picture on reddit taken from Sony Japan listing all the big publishers which looks exciting, maybe nintendo could be a contender for Sony and micrsoftr again

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

nice tech but it depends on its specs as to if it'll be successful

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea just switches between external (TV) and internal display. The ASUS Nexus 7 did the same thing and the dock was far more elegant than that one, but unfortunately didn't sell with it. Most tablets have the capacity to do HDMI out but don't include it or require an adapter from the micro USB port.

I wonder how different it is to the last Tegra. I bet it's Samsung fab'd and Tegra-branded, not controlled/made by Nintendo.

Spec will be 64-bit ARM quad-to-octa core - mix of A53+A72/73 EDIT: I think A57 given Nvidia's history and performance need, and given how 'inefficient' vs TSMC GP107 is, ~256 core Pascal with ~4GB of LPDDR4. It's got to fit in a tablet and be powered by battery, remember. It's a ~5W SOC

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Oct 2016
  7. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

I'm sold, Though I have more games for the Wii U right now than for my PS4 and Xbone combined.

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I've been waiting for an x86 tablet in this exact form factor (GOOD control to either side of screen, dockable with external controller) for years! The Shield Tablet fails in not having integrated controls; numerous Android devices (e.g. Archos Gamepad) are either woefully underpowered, have awful screens, or both; A phone with a separate controller and a 'clip-on case' is just overly bulky and unweildy, and generally lacking in battery life; etc.
    If this can accrue a decent library of games I might be tempted, but it would need to be priced to counter the lack of broad compatibility.

9. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Loving all the ways you can use the controller/s. Very clever. I expect they'll make a fortune selling spares because I know a lot of people who don't seem to have been brought up to take care of anything!

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

A little disappointed that the docking station offers no additional processing power. I may have to get one purely for zelda and then flog it once completed. lol

11. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I've seen nothing about the tablet being touch screen? If it isn't, it seems a bit weird to me, but maybe there will be a 'Pro' version with touch screen later.

The amount of 3rd party devs/publishers involved is so great. I've been hearing for a long time that it's a very easy platform to port to and to expect more triple A games to be available on it.

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Likely use of the touchscreen (if present) is prohibited for gaming, as that would mean you would need to change control schemes when the tablet is docked or placed on a table using the kickstand, and when it is handheld.

13. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I'm still going to buy it, like i've bought EVERY nintendo console ever made. I love nintendo and they truly care about being innovative and fun. They might miss the mark sometimes (Wii U) but they still care about making games fun, not frustrating esports competitions.

Worries here. It's going to be easily hacked - no question. It's going to use flash memory which are so easily to fabricate and copy.

I hope it will still be backwards compatible with some Wii/Gamecube titles like everything has been, but no worries if it isn't.

Hopefully it'll have some fun, original IPs like the Gamecube did. Games such as Metal Arms or Gotcha Force weren't so popular at the time, but they're so original that people will pay a great deal of money to play them now - they did something different and fun in the spirit of Nintendo.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2016
  14. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I had a N64 back in the day and loved it, I never bothered with the GameCube, but I bought a Wii on launch day. When the Wii U came along I was disappointed with the concept (it looks unwieldy and it was too expensive) - consequently I never bought the console.

This looks awesome - great concept and seeing as it'll have Zelda from launch, I'll be buying one then.

There's no point as far as I'm concerned buying either the PS4 or Xbox One as most of the games are available for the PC (where I'll play them). Nintendo games are only available on Nintendo systems - plus they have a certain something that I find lacking elsewhere.

Yes, I'm probably a bit of a Nintendo fan. :D

15. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Depending on what the thing is like for power and battery life (And assuming it can hold up to the demonstrated examples there) - I'd happily get one!

I just hope that it can be externally charged while in use, like most other handhelds, so I could bring it with me to the Other Halves and use it to avoid her a bit more without having to worry about battery life.

The idea of Skyrim (I assume it's not the Enhanced Edition, because I doubt Nintendo can pack that kind of power into a portable without sacrificing either battery life, or the user's hands to the firey power of Satan) on a portable is very attractive too!

16. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I think it'll be successful, regardless of specs/processing power - it looks like they might have carved out another niche, like they did with the Wii.

More power to their elbows.

18. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I don't buy just for exclusives, but Nintendo HAS those exclusives. Breath of the Wild looks F***ing fantastic, and no doubt a mario game and a Super Smash Bros. are on the horizon.

19. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Chuck in new Metroid and Monster Hunter, plus all the virtual console stuff on the eshop (with some gamecube games added to the library) and I'd be incredibly tempted.

As previously mentioned, as long as the battery life is half decent (nintendo have a decent record of this with the 3DS), and they have some decent party/multiplayer games in their catalogue, they should be on to a winner.

20. neilardo

neilardo What's a Dremel?

Totally agreed, would buy it just for Breath of the Wild if I had the cash... I think what the guy said in that critical video about the graphics was a bit unfair too, I mean, good or 'modern' graphics doesn't equal a better game. Look at Wind Waker, Link is far more expressive as a character in that game, but with such basic animation! In my opinion anyway.