1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows What the hell is the matter with Microsoft?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kronos, 21 Oct 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

For the past 24 hours I have been trying to download via The Store the game Gears of War 4 and it has/is a nightmare. Yes it is a big game, around 75gb but Steam, Origin Uplay ETC do not give this much trouble.
    After spending most of the day googling this very common issue with Microsoft's store with this game and a previous Forza.
    I decided to leave it to hopefully download all night and for a while I thought my tinkering had worked as by 8pm it was at 36Gb unfortunately at 1am it was still 36Gb, it is currently almost 8 hours later sitting at 39Gb.
    I have got a refiund off Steam when I had a similar problem Call of DutyBlack Ops III but I don't know where I stand as I bought this from a guy who got it as a bonus on a 1080GPU purchase.

Why on earth can Microsoft not get things right, Games for Windows was a mess now it seems is The Store if the chatter around the web is anything to go by.

Anyone else had similar problems and managed to resolve them?

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I did with forza. I reinstalled windows in the end...

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I read that for some folk it was the only way to install Gears of War 4 but that is a tad drastic.

I have just got off the phone with Microsoft's Asian call centre support and all I got was that Microsoft are aware of the issues and is working on it. In fact she said that I should be more patient.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I had to reinstall Windows to get the Store running. That's what I got for being an early adopter though. Downloaded a couple of free games then and that was about where I left it. Not happy with the way it dumps games on your boot SSD either and I couldn't be assed spending hours trying to find out how to install them elsewhere.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Wicked, ta.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Yeah, had this issue downloading the Gears of War Ultimate edition a while ago. It eventually downloaded DAYS after I started it (PC wasn't constantly on). Luckily(?) I was just installing it for the sake of it as I had already completed it a bit before, otherwise I would've been PISSED rather than mildly annoyed.

WHat I'm starting to learn is that you should have the next game you intend to play downloading/installing while you're finishing off your current one:rolleyes:.

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am going to try this method once the game has downloaded in 2 hours time. Which will be a total of 4 hours to download, a reasonable time so why Microsoft can make such a pigs ear of it escapes me. But it will be the last game I ever get from the store assuming, of course, that I actually manage it.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Finally got the game installed but for some reason known only to Microsoft I have to go through the store to eventually click on the Play button. Anyone know how to put an icon on the desktop?

Oh and whether this helped with the whole download debacle I removed the Store app using this http://www.thewindowsclub.com/10appsmanager-windows-10 and in 4 hours I had downloaded 71Gb it then though a hissy fit and stopped for a while so I used this command WSreset which deleted the Store cache and when I next looked I had downloaded 76.6Gb of 73,3Gb , I assume there was an update. Played this morning for a while and all is fine, (so far).

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

is there no start menu item for it