1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films "Improving" Wireless network connectivity

Discussion in 'General' started by liratheal, 24 Oct 2016.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Okay, so. I can't run a cable. It's rented accommodation, and I can't get neatly with cable tacks and ethernet.

Upstairs I have my router, Draytek 2860n, providing wireless. It's not capable of 5ghz.

Downstairs I have an LG BP645 blu-ray smart media thingy dodad.

Fairly frequently we stream movies/Tv to it from my PC - Which appears to be presenting the media just fine, but the playback has a 50/50 chance of getting choppy until you pause it for a bit and then it appears to be just dandy.

I'm assuming this is to do with network traffic and the bandwidth available between the router and the player.

Is there a passable way of providing a meatier connection?

A quick google hasn't suggested whether the LG supports 5ghz connections or not, so I don't know whether putting a 5ghz network in place would make a difference over what the router currently offers.

Anyone got any suggestions other than a lot of work with cable tacks, and beige cable?

Hopefully this is the right section, although an argument could be made for hardware I suppose..

2. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

Have you tried homeplug over the mains?

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Change wireless channels.

4. liratheal

..I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Tried that - according to Inssider I'm one of two people on the channel, and the other person seems to be a distance away, if the signal readings from airmon and Inssider are to be believed!

5. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

I bought myself a set of homeplug adaptors recently (TP-link AV500 if you're interested - they do faster). Have never been sure if they were any good or not. As it turns out I've managed to get internet speed (40mb down) in my garage which is not only 20m away from my router but is on a different consumer unit. So I would recommend getting a set :thumb:

6. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Can you temporarily hook-up a laptop to your router to test your internet connection speed over ethernet?

Where did you test for other WiFi networks from? Was it on a mobile device, positioned near the smart TV?

Last edited: 25 Oct 2016
  7. liratheal

I borrowed a set of returned Devolo DLAN500's from work. 290mbp/s across the power lines. I can't fault that!

Also, I tested with a HP laptop, and checked the signal with a Nexus 5 with net hunter on it.

I think I'm going to stick with the powerline adapters. Thanks for the advice and thoughts chaps!