1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by impar, 30 Sep 2014.

1. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Just to add in my linx10 is a little snappier under 10 than 8.1 (although it is a pro upgrade) not home.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

This desktop update was painless enough from a blank 7 install and I have another one to go but has anyone upgraded a laptop with only 4Gb RAM on it (with some of that stolen for Intel's 2D video)?

I'm thinking just image the free upgrade so I have it in case RAM prices ever drop for portables but then buy a new laptop down the line that can make the most of the new OS.

3. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

32bit or 64bit? I've seen both, they both seem to be fine, and in my experience W10 plays a lot better with old/lower spec hw. I've just installed onto a dual core athlon with 4gb Ram but dedicated graphics, I've had some issues with drivers and stuff but the generic drivers seem to do a good job for a 7 year old low spec pc, I think the ssd upgrade helped considerably though to be fair

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. impar

impar Minimodder

5. impar

impar Minimodder

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Bah, just realised 10.1 needs 2GB ram, there goes my plan for swipe gestures on my tablet.

7. oscy

oscy Modder

Well I bloody hope it doesn't involve security updates then.

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hey guys, dumb question time. I'm 99% sure this'll work but just want to make sure:

I assume I can buy a digital download version of Win 10 just to get a key but still use the DVD I bought recently to install it?

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Anniversary update has:

• Fubared the tiles I have on my start screen and makes them bug out
    • Disabled Cortana and I can't tell why
    • Added what appears to be a memory leak while performing searches in File Explorer.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Ok, the tablet updated to Anniversary edition after all. Nice to have swipe gestures back in!

11. Splooshiba

Splooshiba Minimodder

Is anyone else getting left justified file / folder names since the update? Or I guess more importantly is anyone not?

[​IMG] :miffed:

12. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I upgraded from Windows 7 (retail box) to Windows 10 with the free upgrade last year. Yesterday I built myself a new PC and I thought I'd share my experience because once upon a time there was a lot of fear and uncertainty over how (and if) the free upgrade Windows 10 license would carry from one machine to the next.

Well, I just used the key belonging to the Windows 7 licence that I upgraded from. Simple as that. I didn't even get to speak to support. :(

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Looks like Windows 10 is heading down the subscription route that many said would never happen, don't fret though it's only Windows 10 Enterprise E3 through the CSP program.
    https://blogs.windows.com/business/2016/09/01/windows-10-enterprise-e3-now-available-as-a-partner-delivered-cloud-service/

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Microsoft always had such programs for Volume Licencing. And hey, even if you just order an Azure VM with Windows vs Linux gives you different price - all Linux variants are $57.29/month for D1 instance (SSD 1 cores 3.5 GB RAM 50 GB disk), while Windows increases the price to $104.16/month at same specs. I would not call the one you linked as subscription Windows. That will come when we will start talking about actual retail, not just Volume licencing/Enterprise.

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Perhaps there's been some confusion, E3 and E5 are the equivalent of the old Volume Licencing and Enterprise versions, however where VL and enterprise version previously had requirements for entry the new E3, E5 model allows anyone to upgrade to an Enterprise versions if they're willing to pay $7 per user/per month.

In other words if you, as an average Jo non business user, wanted to use an Enterprise version of Windows 10 you could, basically the bars been lowered so anyone willing to subscribe can use Windows 10 Enterprise not just VL customers.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Where is the icons view instead of the view category view?

17. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Well, the motherboard in my new PC (above) died and is being RMA'd so in the meantime I've bought a replacement motherboard and installed Windows 10 again yesterday. This time however, my old Windows 7 key didn't work. The "activation troubleshooter" (settings/update & security/activation) couldn't resolve it either because although I have a MS account, it appears it wasn't linked to something or other etc etc.

Anyway, long story short, I requested a call-back from MS support and they called within 1 minute. The technician asked for remote access to my PC, a support chat window appeared on my screen and he ran a couple of apps (slui 4, slui 3 amongst others). I then held for a couple of minutes while he generated a new key for me and then he activated my Windows and created a text file on my desktop containing my new key. :)

It felt really odd giving a MS technician remote access to my PC after all the phishing scams you hear about, but job done. :thumb:

18. neilardo

neilardo What's a Dremel?

Personally, I'm not especially happy about the mandatory, passive data collection in Windows 10... I know Google and Apple are serial offenders for this as well, and so much of our online experience operates this way now, but I'd really rather avoid it if possible. The trouble is, you can disable it to a certain extent of course, but at the expense of some of the interesting features that would attract you to 10 in the first place!

I decided it's high time I went down the Linux route, as far as I'm aware these sorts of issues aren't present. Plus, there are plenty of other Linux advantages I read up on too - security, independence from hardware manufacturer, freedom to choose different user interfaces, etc.

Having said that, if someone's found away to get around Windows 10's snooping, it would interesting to know! Or of course if I've got something totally wrong here :D

19. Xir

Xir Modder

Yes, me.

My laptop is a Intel Celeron N2920, 1,8GHz, 4GB RAM, 32GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics job.

Win10 works fine. Installing it was a pain as the SSD is just that bit too small.
    28GB available, Win8.1 was originally installed. Win8.1 plus the recovery partition plus the Win10 installer plus temporary installation files didn't fit.
    In the end I did a complete reinstalloff a Win10 media creator based stick, and it was still full.
    Then I ditched the Win8.1 roll back files and had ~6 GB free.

Then the "Anniversary Update" came along, my drive filled up, and after Installation hey presto, 10GB free. :rolleyes:

So I think it preloads these updatefiles in the background, then installs them, ditching the updatefiles.
    A shame it insists doing this on the tiny ssd C: drive, and not use the large secondary drive :rolleyes:

20. mstrmind5

mstrmind5 What's a Dremel?

This is largely my view as well. Was tempted by the free upgrade and especially DX12 for gaming, but the privacy issue, real or otherwise, is a big no-no from me.

What linux distros are you considering?