1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Bit-Tech F1 2016 Thread - Season Complete

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 29 Nov 2015.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

..and lewis at the beginning?

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

First corner incidents are rarely penalised like that as the cars are a bit of an unknown cold and heavy plus the guys like Rosberg behind went off too, just to a lesser extent.

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I don't want Lewis to be penalised but its a bit of joke when two people do virtually the same thing but only one gets penalised.

Think its more to do with Ferrari throwing their weight around as usual.

4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Pretty immediate VSC and then SC would have been seen to wipe out any advantage gained.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

So Vertstappen got a 5s time penalty for 'leaving the track and gaining advantage' [which we knew about].

Vettel gets a 10s penalty and 2 points on his naughty boy card for doing the thing everyone got pissed at Verstappen for - a 'change of direction under braking' in his tussle with Ricciardo.

So the end result is, after penalties - Ricciardo is 3rd, Verstappen 4th, Vettel 5th.

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Charlie Whiting: And that'll teach you not to swear at me again young man!

Might be somewhat wishful thinking on RB's part.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2016
  7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I think the argument that the start of the race and the cars are heavy on fuel means a bit of leaway is offered at the start of Tue race. Add to that Rosberg also left the track and not wanting to interfere too much. The reaction from Vettle and I do think they are punishing Max to try and reign him in a bit. Either way a penalty to either Merc wouldn't change anything and of word had come down then they would turn their engine up and nullify it anyway

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I think the swearing thing is still up in the air. PF1 said that may still come back to haunt Seb.
    Apparently Seb went to see Charlie immediately afterwards to "Explain and Apologise"... for what that's worth.

9. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Penalties are basically a lottery in F1. Austin was a complete joke -- even as an Alonso fan, I now find myself asking why Alonso wasn't penalised for divebombing Massa and Sainz (as fun as those moves were). Max was penalised for taking liberties with track limits in Mexico, but apparently running thirty yards outside the white lines in Austin was okay.

Charlie and the boys need to get a grip.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I see Vettel lost his third place for his "dangerous" move on Ricciardo - I imagine he'll really be stomping his feet now.

Quite a boring race, until the final few laps, in reality.

Personally, I'm tiring of the love affair the pundits have with Verstappen. I like a display of raw talent, but they wax on with words like uncompromising, brave and refreshing, instead of the arguably more accurate lawless, reckless and petulant.

11. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I think it was funny all the big boys losing their rag with each other, but Massa had Checo on his backend for 30+ laps, neither were stupid so shows it can be done, just they chose not to.

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Point, but then, the pressure at RBR or Ferrari is next level, so...

13. fix-the-spade

I think that's up to the drivers to sort out. The media wants exciting racing, one way or the other Max is delivering that.

The other drivers are letting him get away with it when really they should take a leaf out of the Ayrton Senna book of driver relations and smash into the back of him. Once he's had a couple of monster accidents because he wobbled about in the braking zone and the car behind just clattered into the back of him he'll get the message.

Of course that means willingly risking a crash, which carries it's own enormous dangers.

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Oh, I know - the sport has become so staid and boring they're desperate for any glimmer of excitement. I don't know if you saw any of the Channel 4 coverage but DC nailed it, a couple of times this weekend, when he offered an opposing view to the crowd-pleasing section of the track that passes through the stadium - he opined that it wasn't all that amazing because the cars are slowed to a crawl in that section. Later, during the race, he said his heart sank every time he heard teams or drivers talking about fuel saving or turning the engine down - stating the ability to do that is at the root of F1's problems.

Which is about as likely to happen as Bernie and Ron hitting the town together for a spot of Karaoke.

15. fix-the-spade

Can but dream.

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

IIRC his problem isn't that they can turn the engine down or slow down to look after they tyres, more that they have to to make it through a race [season in the case of engines].

Not F1-related but - Audi ditches WEC/Le Mans for Formula-E

17. fix-the-spade

That's not huge surprise, Porsche's agreement not to compete in top flight sports car ended a few years ago and VW having two WEC teams didn't make much sense. Plus they've fallen behind Porsche and Toyota recently.

Big name for Formula E though, maybe they can build a car that'll do the whole race?

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yep. Form E would be really interesting if not for:

1) Stupid car changes
    2) Fan boost crap
    3) Boring street tracks
    4) They actually looked fast

19. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Nowhere near the stupidity of DRS. One few second boost once in a race for 3 drivers is really a non-factor.

20. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Formula e solved the problem of cars following behind as the aero is for looks rather than effect. Being mostly street circuits aero is less important and it removes the need for millions to be poured into fraction of a second.
    The drive train in formula e is also fascinating, the have a choice to go with one or two obvious complexity and other advantages and trade off doing this. I also like the gearing, teams can choose between 1 and 5 (I think its 5) forward gears. Gears mean efficiency again adding cooling and a point of failure.
    I think the plan is next season teams look to do an entire race with one car. Currently they have drastically increased race distance but formula e also suffers the problem of "fuel" saving.
    For street tracks the racing is actually pretty good. Demand 5 has the first race of the season which was fantastic. Plenty of overtaking and drama